Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Story A Day Month  (Read 4253 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Story A Day Month
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:07:46 pm »

Camp NaNoWriMo ends today (I'm just about to crank out my last 1600 words!), but I've found a challenge for May as well: Story A Day month.

The idea is that every day in May, you write a story. It can be of any length. A one-page story, a one-paragraph story, a one-sentence story, as long as it is a full story with a beginning, middle, and end. I'm looking forward to it. Rather than stare at the same novel I've been working on since November EVERY SINGLE DAY, slowly growing to hate it as the damn thing just won't end, I'll be able to do something different every day, and I can adjust the length to my available time and level of inspiration. And every single day, I'll FINISH something. That moment of pride when you know it's done, I'll get that every single day.

They offer writing prompts each day, and they do sell some e-books with more, but obviously you don't have to buy them.

When you're a writer, it's really important to write every day. This is a great way to do that, get lots of ideas, learn and grow, without committing to a longer story. I'm looking forward to it, and I'll post my stories here every day; who's with me?

Writing Prompts
There are two sets of writing prompts: the official ones provided by Story A Day, and the unofficial Bay12 randomly generated prompts, provided starting on day 3 because the official ones tend to be... not actual prompts. Feel free to choose which prompt you want to use, or combine them both.

Spoiler: Day 01 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 02 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 03 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 04 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 05 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 06 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 07 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 08 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 09 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 10 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 11 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 12 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 13 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 14 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 15 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 16 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 17 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 18 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 19 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 20 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 21 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Day 22 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:54:07 am by Sappho »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Story A Day Month
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:28:20 pm »

I want to, but my exams are right close. So after the 8th I'll be able to do them.

I know it doesn't quite count, but eh.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:30:17 pm »

I'll just watch :D
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 01:08:19 pm »

Ahaha, I can start a story a day just fine, but there's no hope of actually finishing any of them. Might still try, starting after the 12th or so. I don't suppose they offer a nifty graphical visualization of your progress, ala NaNo's graph?

(Congrats on Camp NaNo, btw! I'm thinking of participating in the summer one, wanna try and repeat my actual success last November.)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 01:33:38 pm »

Sadly, no, no shiny graphs. They do have a place where you can report your success each day, but they emphasize that the challenge should be very individual. If someone can't write every day, just set a personal goal. The most important thing is to write often and to FINISH what you write. You can't really consider yourself a true writer if you don't finish what you start. It doesn't matter if it's any good, or just a pile of garbage. All that matters is you finished it, and if you decide it's worth it, you can always fix it later.

A piece of advice, given to me by my university honors program sponsor / German professor, which has stuck with me all through the years: Just get it done. You have the rest of your life to get it right.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 01:40:45 pm »

One day I was reading bay12 forums, and stumbled upon a write a story a day thread. For agonized seconds I struggled in battle with a phantom warrior named Commitment. The duel raged for at least 10 seconds, then finally ended in a stale mate. Both sides went home - I, to my homeland known as Mediocrity, and Commitment to his fairy castle in the sky. The end.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:43:13 pm by moocowmoo »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »

...I'm intrigued. They'd inevitably all be <1 page long for me, but hey, it's a start.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 02:42:07 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't matter how long they are. Mine will probably mostly be no more than a few paragraphs, though I do have a couple of ideas for some longer ones and it would be nice to spend a day here and there writing proper ones. Then, when the month is over, time to go back over them, pick out the good ones, edit, and start submitting to magazines.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 06:25:15 am »

The first prompt is up, from none other than Neil Gaiman.

"Getting Home"

Ready, set, go!

EDIT2: A question for everyone. I've set up a blog to post my stories. It would be fairly simple to also post the stories in epub and mobi formats. What does everyone think of that idea? Would it be at all worthwhile? Just in general, if you find a good literary blog, do you ever wish that you could download the stuff to read on an e-reader instead of having to use a computer?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:00:28 pm by Sappho »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 10:11:58 am »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 12:12:14 pm »

PTW
This post will contain the links or spoilers of every 31 days of May and 31 stories in between.
Yeah, self. Be more confident.
You can do it.
I guess this'll cure your world building woes. :v
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 12:14:41 pm by Tiruin »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 02:10:11 pm »

EDIT2: A question for everyone. I've set up a blog to post my stories. It would be fairly simple to also post the stories in epub and mobi formats. What does everyone think of that idea? Would it be at all worthwhile? Just in general, if you find a good literary blog, do you ever wish that you could download the stuff to read on an e-reader instead of having to use a computer?
Depends on the content. For short stories like these, I'm happy to read them on screen. When it starts breaching what i can comfortably read in 20-30 minutes is around the point I'd quite like to be able to download it.

Unrelatedly: Spent half an hour staring at the screen (total. breaks were taken) to end with a complete failure of inspiration. Ah well. That's how it goes.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 02:14:09 pm »

Well, for people not inspired enough to do anything creative, you can break apart other people stories into tropes or something.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 02:21:19 pm »

ptw

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 05:36:35 am »

Today's prompt is to work the words "vermillion" and "musky" into the next 250 words of writing. Honestly, I'm finding these prompts to be... just terrible. Too specific, not abstract enough.

Yesterday's was "Imagine your protagonist has just opened a large magnetic poetry kit. Which words call to him/her? Will s/he put these words on the refrigerator in a random scattering or compose a sentence? Share your words and sentences here."

Terrible. Just terrible. Worst of all, when I posted the link to my story on the storyaday.com site, the person who provided that prompt read my story and then expressed utter confusion as to why I didn't post my randomly-selected magnetic poetry kit words as well, or show my characters selecting their words and making a sentence on the fridge. I replied, that's because I didn't do that, because it doesn't interest me at all. (I didn't say "because that's stupid" because there's no need to be disrespectful to another person, even on the internet, but really that's what I was thinking.)

These are supposed to be prompts to inspire writers to get a story written each day. Not specific writing assignments. They should be broad enough to inspire all writers, regardless of genre or interest.

I reduced yesterday's to its title ("magnetic words"), which worked fine. Today's is not so easy to get around. Too specific, and they're not even fun words. Those are awful words for a specific task like that. Who uses vermillion or musky in a conversation? I would never be interested in writing the kind of fiction that included those words. And I have pretty broad tastes. It's like the prompt-giver is trying to force everyone to write bad romance novels.

I'm currently bending my mind a bit trying to find a way to follow the "prompt" (although it's not actually a prompt, it's a writing task) without having to either write those words into a description (ugh) or create the kind of character who would speak that way (double ugh). 250 words is basically two paragraphs. Maybe three, if they're really short. (Aren't these supposed to be prompts for writing an entire short story?) On the other hand, I'm considering ignoring this prompt and just writing a short story of my own devising.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4