Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Story A Day Month  (Read 4251 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Story A Day Month
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2014, 06:12:42 am »

Day 7 Story: http://meganleefiction.blogspot.com/2014/05/story-day-07-hierarchical-enlightenment.html

I feel like the roots of a really good idea are in here, though they need a lot of development and reworking. I might earmark this one for later revisitation...

Woah cool, some very promising ideas there.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 05:47:22 am »

Can it possibly be...?

Spoiler: Magnetic words (click to show/hide)

I wrote this late at night, which means that my thinking was a little strange. I had some vague notion of the literary equivalent of negative-space drawing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2014, 07:07:06 am »

Welp, I've temporarily beaten the writer's block to make..... a thing.
It was written long past the point I normally go to sleep, and was vaguely inspired by Hierarchical Enlightenment though I'll be damned if I remember how.
Warning: Is weird and slightly dark if I got the tone right. Is not proof read, and probably contains foul foul grammar. But I wrote something, so yay I guess.
Spoiler: Thing (click to show/hide)

QUICKEDIT:
Spoiler: Setting explanation (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:13:17 am by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2014, 08:11:28 am »

Hooray for more stories! Great job, guys!

I didn't write yesterday. Battling with a rather severe bipolar downswing, having to budget my limited energy and give myself a break here and there. Not sure about today. We'll see how it goes.

The Prompts:

Official: "Write A Story Set In A Hospital
(or any other high-tension setting, if you’re not familiar with hospitals)"

Bay12: Unsupported Floor

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 01:56:24 am »

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:02:21 am by moocowmoo »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2014, 02:13:45 am »

Day 10 Prompts:

Official: Choose a piece of music from the list below. Listen through it once or twice and get your mind in the mood of the music. Then start writing.

Danse Macabre by Camille Saint-Saens
Fanfare for the Common Man by Aaron Copland
Egmont Overture by Ludwig van Beethoven
Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 (II. Adagio Sostenuto) by Sergei Rachmaninoff
The Planets by Gustav Holst (choose one movement)

Bay12: Shimmering Pamphlet

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2014, 01:13:35 am »

Day 11 Prompts:

Official: "Write A Story Wrapped Around An Action Scene"
Bay12: Sullied Hat

I hope I'll manage to write today. I'd like to go back and so some of the ones I've missed as well. I have to do some writing for work today, so hopefully once I start I'll be able to just keep going...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2014, 04:06:06 pm »

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2014, 07:20:55 pm »

I'll try to write something sometime, though I'm somewhat busy with a larger project.

Also, wow, Google already knows I'm into writing, I've just been bombarded with Gramarly.com ads ever since I took interest. I'm both impressed and freaked out.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2014, 04:49:05 pm »

Surprisingly, I found the time and energy to write today.

http://meganleefiction.blogspot.cz/2014/05/story-day-14-cinderella-story-young.html

I used both prompts. Sorry if there are errors, but I couldn't edit this one. A little too autobiographical to be comfortable. Ever written anything that made you cry while you were writing it? Still, I think it turned out alright.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2014, 11:35:17 am »

Today's prompts are quite interesting. I'm tempted to try to write something even though I'm so sleep deprived I'm not even sure what language I'm speaking anymore.

Official: "Write A Story in the Second Person Perspective"
Bay12: Uninteresting Joy

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2014, 01:48:21 pm »

Official: "Write A Story in the Second Person Perspective"
Bay12: Uninteresting Joy
You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down and you see a tortoise. You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back, you feel a familiar clawing sensation on the back of your neck as you watch yourself flipping the tortoise onto it's back. All of reality seems to have collapsed down to a single point, there is not direction in which you can travel that doesn't lead to the tortoise. I give you a hamburger.

Just thinking about how every time I've seen the second person perspective used in fiction it's been used to make a story feel creepy, unusual, or disjointed.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2014, 02:38:11 pm »

Choose Your Own Adventure for the win!

I'm so tired I tried to cook dinner, dropped the knife several times, burst into giggles, then shambled down to the nearest Vietnamese takeout place and had to give them my order twice because I couldn't pronounce the words properly. I'm at that level of tired where I shouldn't even be able to type and I'm trying to understand whether I'm just dreaming or what.

So no story today, but I will try to write this one tomorrow because I have ideas. Ideas. I want to go back and do several of the ones I missed, actually. Maybe all of them.

I wish I didn't have so much effing work to do. 40 student evaluations (3-5 pages each), 5 scripts for magazine comic strips and voice recordings, a 2-page article on the American education system, PLUS I have to organize all of my ideas and suggestions and proposals for completely changing the way we teach in my school (video game inspired learning, YES). Oh, and I need to write a long email to the completely messed up parents of the autistic boy I assist trying to make them understand that they're DOING IT WRONG and how to be better parents, without making them reject me completely. I love writing and all, but this is a lot of mostly very tedious and uninspiring writing.

Rambling over now. I forgot what I was even writing for a moment there. Oh, it's the short story thread. I'm the kind of tired where I might as well be high, you know? Where it's like being super insanely stoned, except without the part where it feels good.

Good night everyone!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2014, 09:27:40 am »

Don't let this die!
...I know I'm a primary culprit, but still.

I was thinking that I might see if I can write a story for every prompt within the universe that has been and still is bubbling in my head. I might feel a bit more motivated that way.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2014, 11:48:00 am »

I'm still updating the prompts in the first post, but I just don't have time to write any stories right now. I plan to come back to this later and maybe do the stories during a time that's not so chaotic. Really, May is the absolute worst month for this sort of thing for anyone involved in education. Here's a quick peek at my to-do list:
-Write 40 detailed student evaluations (due Friday)
-Review all the material for the whole year in 4 different classes - with only 2 hours per week to do it in.
-Prepare for, organize, and carry out an enormous charity event, including making crafts, baking, and giving all the kids jobs (and overseeing those jobs).
-Prepare detailed lessons for each day to practice, tinker with, and explore my points-based learning model (at least an hour of prep per day).
-Write several portions of the Maturita practice test for my magazine (very strict guidelines, must be perfect, due Monday).
-Collect all documents and submit application to extend long-term visa (due in 2-3 weeks, each document can take a week or more to process).
-Open a new bank account in the USA that doesn't charge fees (for payment of student loans) - must be carried out entirely online! - by end of month.
-Find a bank in the CZR that doesn't gouge me quite so hard for sending wire transfers to the USA (to pay student loans).

That's just the stuff I *have* to do. On top of that, I have an even longer list of stuff I *want* to do but just don't have the time... So the short stories will just have to wait until the summer, I think. : )

I'd still like to read other people's stories, though. Even if I'm not posting here, the first post should stay updated. Keep writing if you can, everyone!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]