Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Story A Day Month  (Read 4247 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Story A Day Month
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 05:40:37 am »

Aye, the prompts are rather.... uninspiring. It's hard to get a good idea from something so narrow.

And...... musky. Just not happening here I think. It might be worth generating a seperate prompt elsewhere to use as an alternate prompt - sticking to the concept of a story a day still, because that's quite good.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 05:43:41 am »

That's lame. I liked "magnetic words" as a prompt, but I don't like the original. Also, yeah, these are not prompts. That's sad.  :-\

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 05:45:01 am »

Well, it's only the third day. Maybe they'll get better. If not, there's plenty of creative writing prompt web sites I can turn to for story seeds.

At least the first one was pretty good: "getting home," provided by Neil Gaiman. There's a man who knows what a creative writing prompt is.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 05:49:16 am »

My take on it is, can't they just be names?

Vermillion could be the last name of a person, possibly rich or a teacher, and Musky could be a dog...

EDIT: back in third grade, I actually did have a teacher with that last name, and the vice principle of the middle school also had it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:52:10 am by Ddynamo »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 06:07:01 am »

Hm... That is a possibility. Still, I'd rather have a second option. I'm actually having a surprisingly difficult time finding any decent daily writing prompts online. There are collections of writing prompts, and there are some really bad daily ones, and there are a lot of really good daily ones that stopped updating years ago, but no good daily ones. I'd rather have a daily one, to say "this is the prompt for today" rather than sorting through lists of old prompts trying to find one I like (which partially defeats the purpose of having a new one every day).

Anyone know of any good ones (which don't require signing up for a mailing list)? Or maybe we should start writing our own here...

EDIT: Okay, I've found a random phrase generator that should do the trick. For the purposes of the Bay12 participants in the Story A Day challenge, I will generate a random phrase (I'll keep generating until I get one that makes at least some semblance of sense) and post it on the first post, starting today. So everyone here, feel free to either follow the "official" prompts, or use the prompt here. At least that way we all have an option for days when the prompts are just awful.

Today's prompt: funded cheating
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:17:26 am by Sappho »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 06:20:25 am »

Here's what were/are used for the Writer's Apprenticeship prompts, which are semi-good. You could randomly roll to choose if you don't want to go through them in order. Honestly, though, I'd just go with, Iunno, going through your music on shuffle and using song titles as prompts. Listening to the song for the feel and/or inspiration is probably too much, but *shrug*.

EDIT: If you like, the first song I got was Perfect Crime, for the prompt.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:25:07 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 07:51:02 am »

I wonder. Does it have to have a plot to count as story, or is pure exposition allowed?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 08:36:06 am »

Huh. Might as well participate in this.
Also I hope I'm not self-advertising too much if I post the prompt I've given for my own writing contest:

Prompt:  Same, but different.

The story must take place in a world where humans and civilization exist and is similar to us, but with a certain fact of life taken for granted in our common day missing. Other fantasy/sci-fi elements not relating to this "change" itself is discouraged, but not banned.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 12:09:02 pm »

Advertise away! The more writing encouragement, the better.

In the end, I decided to go with two very short stories today, one for each prompt.

I'm not completely thrilled with either of them, but tomorrow is another day.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 12:25:23 pm »

vermilion
vermillion

.....spell-check doesn't fuss at me for either one......are they both legitimate spellings then? Both of them bring up the same definition on dictionary.com as well.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 12:27:38 pm »

My spell-checkers all say Vermilion is the only correct one. I do find that the double-l is listed some places as an "alternative" spelling. That's why I had the judges disagreeing, but eventually going with the paper dictionary, which would certain only have a single l.

Wikipedia has "vermillion" as "an alternate spelling of vermilion" with a link to "vermilion" and a list of alternate meanings, mostly names of places. And Chrome doesn't accept the double-l as being legitimate. Neither does Scrivener.

EDIT: Prompts for day 4:
Official: "Write a story of around 2000 words."
Bay12 Random: Imperative Obsession

I plan to combine the two. A word count is NOT a prompt...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:14:50 am by Sappho »

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 02:59:40 am »

Jeez, the official one is so bad. I mean, wasn't there even a thing saying that 'the stories don't need to be long' or something to that effect?
I mean, hell, I could look out my window and find a better prompt. >.>
And good going on both of those stories, Sappho. Keep up the story-in'.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 03:49:27 am »

Thanks! Glad someone is reading them and possibly enjoying them.

This is a really good exercise, by the way. I'm enjoying it way more than NaNoWriMo. Over the course of November, and then April, I grew to hate that stupid novel. This month I just get to try something new every day, and later I can make something more significant out of the best ones.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 01:30:44 am »

I didn't write a story yesterday, but I'm not gonna stress over it. I wrote 2 the day before.

Today's prompts are:
Official: Shame
Bay12: Acquired Confirmation

Is anyone else writing? I'd love to read others' stories!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:52 am »

I have one for magnetic words, but it's written on paper. I'll type it up some time in probably the next hour.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4