Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: Prince of the Mafia: Back in action  (Read 53828 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of the Mafia: Round 4: Day 5: new mod!
« Reply #330 on: May 18, 2014, 04:51:35 pm »

Wolf
I canmt participate in any games.
Good luck with your life stuff. We'll still be here if and when you get back  :D

Soldier
What would you say the biggest difference in ideal play between this format and normal games of mafia is? What should town do differently to win?
The big difference is everyone has a power-role. This means the relative danger of a player claiming their role or part of their role is very much reduced. As such, light role fishing and mass claims are less frowned upon. What would you say?

Griffinpup
NQT:  Do you think that we've found any roles yet that are game-breaking?
Well, vote stealing on the whole can lead to an easy scum win. What would you say was most game-breaking?

Toaster
NQT:  Are you going to rolefish since this is a day start?
It's too early to try a game breaking combo and there are too many potential spanners to try to confirm someone's night activity. Do you think there's ever an appropriate time to rolefish in this set up?

Solymr What's the best reason to lynch someone Day 1 in Prince Mafia?

Tiruin Rate the other players in order of how you feel about their playstyle.

TheDarkStar Do you believe in asking RVS questions?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 18, 2014, 05:17:38 pm »

NQT:
Toaster
NQT:  Are you going to rolefish since this is a day start?
It's too early to try a game breaking combo and there are too many potential spanners to try to confirm someone's night activity. Do you think there's ever an appropriate time to rolefish in this set up?

As I've said, I'm not a fan of it at all.  That said, I've accepted that you are going to do it regardless of alignment.  For a more complete answer, either claim it all or don't; don't go part way.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 18, 2014, 05:26:07 pm »

Interesting. Why don't you like partial claims? My thinking is that controlling the flow of information is an important town skill: one should tell as much as is necessary to assist town, whilst still maintaining the possibility of laying traps and surprises for scum. What's not to like about that?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 18, 2014, 08:37:06 pm »

TheDarkStar Do you believe in asking RVS questions?

That depends. I have a harder time asking them in this game, where discussion is constantly going, and I've done group questions before. Sometimes, I just won't ask RVS questions when I can't bear thinking of yet another set. However, it's often useful to get discussion going.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 18, 2014, 08:58:25 pm »

D1 will end Tuesday, May 20th at 5:00 PM EST
NGH.FPP
Just when exams end.

Tiruin:  Would you daykill someone for chronic inactivity?
Nay, I'd daykill someone for being scummy--usually only in the later days but never for such things as these.
If person is trolling and really active lurking, I'd say first in public then put the consideration it up in public.

Well this is a hard question.

Votecount:
1. Tiruin (0)- Is me. I'm a goo because amorphous~ I'm not really a Goo-Role. Just like a Goo. *wobble wobble*
2. The Soldier (0)- Is like Tactician. Careful. Planning. Astute. Judges more on concrete data and empirical evidence.
3. Toaster (0)- Is like Toaster. Scary. Electrical Shocker. Orange. Very dangerous. Very awesome. Very experienced. Has a knack for going aggressive-y when scum. Has principles like most people.
4. NQT (1)- Is like Statistics. Translates observed information to numbers. Patterns. Charts. Graphs. Numbers. Then translates back to words. Clever. Cunning. Not picky with words. Straight forward. Insults people he likes because :D, which was only explained to me recently OOM [out of mafia]
5. TheDarkStar (0)- Is like Star. Radiant. Shiny. Admirable. Has certain characteristics to show alignment. Not that good with lying. Very keen on learning in the field. Noble.
6. Griffinpup (0)- Is Returned. Feeling reset to Unsure.
7. Solymr (0)- Is like Skeletor. Nothatbad when scum, but needs development in all fronts: still good in field of logic and philosophy. Takes careful note of wording. Planning. Organized. Also kind.

Yeah exams are killing my semantics.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 19, 2014, 02:53:14 am »

Sorry about my abysmal activity, been busy catching up with school.

Toaster:
Soldier:  Do you think games rounds prior to KotM4 will provide you any useful player meta, or just insight into how the gametype works?

Meta can change over time, so I'm more looking to know what I should expect. From what I see, day one is fairly 'normal' but a massclaim the next day is common, and from there a plan is devised to confirm as many townies as possible. Sometimes the plan works, sometimes it doesn't.

griffinpup:
In your opinion, what's the best base role not on the nerf list?
Hahaha a Voteless Vanilla townie, because it is the least threatening character in the game.  I almost achieved this perfect role last game.  I was close.

Funny answer. I can see you don't want to give too much about yourself away, so I'll ask you a different question: what power would you most like to see every player have (through network robot, for example)?

NQT:
Soldier
What would you say the biggest difference in ideal play between this format and normal games of mafia is? What should town do differently to win?
The big difference is everyone has a power-role. This means the relative danger of a player claiming their role or part of their role is very much reduced. As such, light role fishing and mass claims are less frowned upon. What would you say?

I can see your logic. Does the fact that there will only ever be one anti-town change how you play?

In my eyes, the biggest difference is with how the post-day one phase plays out. It's so role-heavy, it's a very attractive option to masslclaim and work the game out like a logic puzzle, whereas more role-light setups have more of a focus on reading people and their intentions.

Do you think the answer to this question will be useful?

I'm going to throw out a question: Does anyone disagree with massclaiming tomorrow in-game? The benefits outweigh the downsides the way I see it. D1 just gets our best role killed before they get to do anything, and D3+ may very well be lylo if there's an additional killing role. D2, we can claim actual results from actions while also having more than a handful of players left near-guaranteed. Plus, I think it would make things quite interesting.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 19, 2014, 03:22:22 am »

DarkStar
The thing is, the more questions you ask, the more content you give people to examine. Could you ask someone a question about something specific they've said?

Tiruin
Interesting portraits. Do you think it would be easy to make DarkStar slip if they're not good at lying, as you say?

Soldier
I too enjoy the logic puzzle aspect of this set up. I'd be happy to claim on D2.

At this stage it's most important to get people saying things. My question gave me an insight as to how Tiruin sees the other players, which may inform my understanding of her interactions with them. Well, that's the theory anyway.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 19, 2014, 03:35:14 pm »

D1 will end Tuesday, May 20th at 5:00 PM EST

Good luck and please be active.

Votecount:
1. Tiruin (0)-
2. The Soldier (0)-
3. Toaster (0)-
4. NQT (1)- The Soldier
5. TheDarkStar (0)-
6. Griffinpup (0)-
7. Solymr (1)- NQT

4 votes required to hammer.

Please be reminded that the lurker system is in effect.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 19, 2014, 03:53:37 pm »

So, a very quiet Monday on the forum. Anyone going to get in here before day's end? We've yet to even hear from Solymr.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 19, 2014, 04:01:09 pm »

Silvery Appliance:
Griffinpup:  If you had an inspect, and going into the night you suspected one person 95% and a second 50%, which would you inspect?
It would depend on everyone else's opinions on them.  If everyone suspects the first person, he'd probably get nk'd, or at least lynched soon, so I'd inspect the other, but if everyone thought he was squeaky clean, I'd inspect the first one.

NQT:
Griffinpup
NQT:  Do you think that we've found any roles yet that are game-breaking?
Well, vote stealing on the whole can lead to an easy scum win. What would you say was most game-breaking?

I don't think any particular role is game-breaking, especially considering everyone could have the theoretically same role.

6. Griffinpup (0)- Is Returned. Feeling reset to Unsure.
Mine's the shortest!!! I feel special!

Soldja Boy:
b]griffinpup[/b]:
In your opinion, what's the best base role not on the nerf list?
Hahaha a Voteless Vanilla townie, because it is the least threatening character in the game.  I almost achieved this perfect role last game.  I was close.

Funny answer. I can see you don't want to give too much about yourself away, so I'll ask you a different question: what power would you most like to see every player have (through network robot, for example)?
You're rolefishing, and trying to do it sneakily.  Why?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 19, 2014, 04:59:40 pm »

DarkStar
The thing is, the more questions you ask, the more content you give people to examine. Could you ask someone a question about something specific they've said?

Why is the fifteenth letter in your post 'o' (not counting spaces)?

I'm going to throw out a question: Does anyone disagree with massclaiming tomorrow in-game? The benefits outweigh the downsides the way I see it. D1 just gets our best role killed before they get to do anything, and D3+ may very well be lylo if there's an additional killing role. D2, we can claim actual results from actions while also having more than a handful of players left near-guaranteed. Plus, I think it would make things quite interesting.

What happens if the King has a daykill? Also, who should claim first?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 19, 2014, 10:24:53 pm »

NQT:
Interesting. Why don't you like partial claims? My thinking is that controlling the flow of information is an important town skill: one should tell as much as is necessary to assist town, whilst still maintaining the possibility of laying traps and surprises for scum. What's not to like about that?

I won't dispute that there is sometimes value in partial claims (I inspected PlayerX last night and he is scum) but used broadly I don't agree with them.  If everyone does it, it opens the door for scum to modify a fake claim to suit changing circumstances.

TheDarkStar:
That depends. I have a harder time asking them in this game, where discussion is constantly going, and I've done group questions before. Sometimes, I just won't ask RVS questions when I can't bear thinking of yet another set. However, it's often useful to get discussion going.

How else are you going to find scum?

Solider:  Fair enough regarding past games.

I disagree with planning on it ahead of time.  If you think it should be done tomorrow, say so tomorrow, and we judge its merits on current information.

Griffinpup:
Silvery Appliance:
Griffinpup:  If you had an inspect, and going into the night you suspected one person 95% and a second 50%, which would you inspect?
It would depend on everyone else's opinions on them.  If everyone suspects the first person, he'd probably get nk'd, or at least lynched soon, so I'd inspect the other, but if everyone thought he was squeaky clean, I'd inspect the first one.

Interesting.

Did you know Solymr has not posted at all today, despite being active in other areas of the forum?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 20, 2014, 06:06:56 am »

D1 will end Tuesday, May 20th at 5:00 PM EST. Or 10 hours from this post

Good luck and please be active.

Votecount:
1. Tiruin (0)-
2. The Soldier (1)- Griffinpup
3. Toaster (0)-
4. NQT (1)- The Soldier
5. TheDarkStar (0)-
6. Griffinpup (0)-
7. Solymr (2)- NQT, Toaster

4 votes required to hammer.

Please be reminded that the lurker system is in effect.

Solymr has been prodded.

If you haven't sent me a day action yet, please do so, even if you just put no action.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:08:30 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 20, 2014, 06:35:07 am »

Sorry about that, I just had a tough exam and I kinda forgot about this while studying :v

Toaster: you can call me prince 8)
Also I wouldn't claim a block if I were scum, I would try to wait for the right moment if I'm town.

NQT: something like IG's daykill shenanigans when he got prince. Not risking yourself to kill a probable scum most likely means you know he's not scum.

I'm surprised nobody asked me anything else.
Soldier: I disagree with planned massclaiming unless absolutely necessary. If griffinpup didn't claim last round so fast I would have doubted my actions a lot more.

TDS: does your role allow for clever power deductions?

Toaster again: are you trying to get me lynched for lurking when the round that I was prince I was totally not lurking?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 20, 2014, 03:35:38 pm »

TDS: does your role allow for clever power deductions?

Sadly no, not even from stealing roles from or incapacitating (read: killing) people.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33