Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blender crash course workshop: Modeling, part 1  (Read 3179 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blender crash course workshop: Modeling, part 1
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 02:58:37 pm »

Never heard of this. PTW.
You cannot learn just by watching!

Interesting. Would I be correct in guessing that Blender is a basic 3D modeling program? Or that its models can be used in other types of programs?
I'd say that it's more of an all-inclusive program for dealing with 3D models.
I'd expect you could find a plugin to export Blender's models and animations to most any major game that supports mods. Unity3D (a game engine with free licenses available), will read .blend files just fine.

Um. Is blender in any way similar to 3dsmax?
From my understanding, Blender is to 3dsmax and Maya what GIMP is to Photoshop.

Since I didn't really leave a task calling for scaling or rotating, I have a new task for the week, for the one or two people just getting started: Make either a hook or an arch, using extrude, grab, rotate, and scale. (If you use the numpad corner keys to look at one axis straight-on, grab and rotate will automatically keep the third axis the same. This might help.)

You'll need to tell me if you want me to make a clearer walk-through on any one task. I seem to have a tendency to info-dump and move on.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 06:27:24 pm »

Never heard of this. PTW.
You cannot learn just by watching!
Didn't plan to. Never been interested in 3D modeling, but this might change my mind.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 09:58:46 am »

There comes a time in every young geek's life when they decide it would be cool to make 3D models, so they download Blender, only find windows with tabs of tabs of options. One nervous breakdown later, Blender is promptly deleted.

Story of my college winter break. Downloaded, only to get into playing Freespace. Definitely putting this into my favorites bar
Pages: 1 [2]