Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My game hates my world...  (Read 1520 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My game hates my world...
« on: November 17, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »

I don't know if this counts as a bug, or just a really, really, really bad bit of luck, but the first map I created with the new version (no clue - yet - what the seed it) looks something like this at the moment

I feel sad... and it's gone up to 1200 as I write this. More updates to come - at least until I get bored staring at this screen.

Edit: Should mention, haven't modded any game files except the init file - and all those changes I made in the previous version, too, without problem. Is there any way to retrieve the seed without finishing the generation process? If so, I'll see if I can get it - if not, oh well.

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: Thexor ]

RaSchumann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My game hates my world...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »

Wow, that sure must take awhile.
I looking at a world I just did on the new version that I put in my wall of text introduction post.

It came out very quickly with far fewer rejects, so you might want to take a look at it, however with all that time spent on one world, you should just keep it, in fact, I would love for you to give the seed so I can run it.

The map I'm using:

-has 6 oceans, one really big, one really small, and the rest on the small side too
-has 4 major rivers, through a variety of terrain all in different parts of the map

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:SEED]
   [SEED:473220798]

paste that in the data\init\world_gen.txt

oh dear, this post is getting long too

when the game generates the world, just in case anyone doesn't have a clue, I think it puts the paramaters of the world in the main directory

Hmmm... Well... Oh well...

I think I might be an attention hog, maybe looking for some sort of ego boost, I do appreciate comments, I probably need to learn to wait a day or two for someone bothering to post a reply, first real attempt at well... I've never had friends... GAH! I need to stop writing all this into my posts, by the time I click "send" or whatever you call it an entire discussion could probably happen.

So, the end... I'm going to write myself a signature with a big disclaimer in it now.

(edit) Hey, I just noticed I have the title of escaped lunatic, how appropriate, can I keep it please~~ (tears and puppy dog eyes combined with long drawn out please please)

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: RaSchumann ]

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

Oh, I'm planning on keeping it - there must be something good, says the illogical voice inside my head, if it took that long to make - but the big question is, will it ever finish?

As an update, it's sitting at 1671 rejects right now. I started generation just over an hour and a half ago, which has given me a great chance to catch up on some reading.
Also of note: Watching the thing work (because I never expected that it would take this long until it had passed at least 300), I noticed that, at about 200, several regions got to the "Initializing Age of Myth" stage. Sadly, I didn't bother to enable the init option to output reasons for rejection... but, from what I understand about generation, the fact that it's been nearly at the Age of Myth for over 1400 regions would seem to indicate that I'm on the last region to be generated... and have been for over an hour.

Oh, I'm up to 1744 over the course of having written this post. Wow. If I ever get the seed for this map, it'll have to be immortalized or something.

RaSchumann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »

What are you running, I'm using an Athalon X2 4200+, it runs pretty fast, keep waiting, rent a movie, watch it, and return it a week later and the world will be probably done... no guarantees though, that is pretty clearly explained in my signature. I can be right, kind of like a physicist, I'm good at guessing, but don't usually try and prove it.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 05:12:00 pm »

Please post the seed when you can I want to generate the map. My computer can spit out a 0-reject world in under 3 minutes, and most of that is running through the age of myth, lets see what it can do to a 2000+ reject world.

RaSchumann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »

So whats the best way to measure time to generate a world? I wonder if you can get a stopwatch on your computer. Also, in order to make sure it can be used as an accurate benchmark, or for it to not take forever, make sure you close most of the useless stuff running in the background, for example steam or for some reason a game had to install some punkbuster software that doesn't appear in msconfig for startup or add or remove programs.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »

I want this seed  :D

...whenever it finally finishes.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »

Well, darn... now people want the seed, so I can't cancel generation!

It's been over 4 hours, and we're up to 4325 rejects. "The Windy Planet of Prophecy" may never finish... but I will preservere! ... at least until I get bored.

No word on whether or not you can actually recover a seed without finishing world generation? I don't know of any way, but then again, I haven't exactly examined world generation with a fine-toothed comb. Or even a coarse brush. I'm hoping someone has a way.

Also: anyone have a clue as to what the problem could be? Have I created a map that's demanding an impossible region? Is the Mersenne Twister looping on itself? (I doubt it, but anything's possible when you're over 4200 rejects) Is this a sign that the world will, indeed, end this year, and we should all seal ourselves up in a cave?
...that might actually work, if we brought a few plump helmet spawn and a pick. Ooh, and an anvil - no hope in trading after the world ends.

Yeah, this world gen has gone to my head. Help!

Edit: May as well add a new thumbnail, we're up to 4395...
Anyone actually care, or am I wasting my time here?  ;)

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: Thexor ]

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 08:40:00 pm »

Actualy, if you cancel the generation, it will save the seed, as it replaces the word "RANDOM" in the info back at the main page.
It does sound like there may be a problem there...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 08:53:00 pm »

cripes man! Thats beyond bad luck. Getting that many rejections on a non-bugged system would be akin to flipping heads on a coin 57 times in a row.

Did you do any modding? I swapped dragons for cats for example. Vermin no more    :D

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: Tamren ]

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Well, first, the good news: Thanks to PTTG?, I have freedom from the world and can report that it was seed 554221478. Now for the bad news: I managed to get it to work fine.

Turns out that something went wrong when I loaded up DF. After cancelling the world gen, I tested seed 0, and then seed 941486140, both of which are reported to be zero-rejected. Both of them were rejected, however, and both at the same phase - "Initializing Age of Myth". I closed down DF, to toggle on the "reasons for map rejection" init option... and when I loaded up the program again, got zero rejects from those 2 maps.

Then, I tried 554221478.

Damn thing got 12 rejects and started working fine...

However, this does bring to light an interesting fact. I've often had problems with loading up DF, namely that creature definitions are occasionally reported to be missing. It only happened occasionally, so I never bothered to report it. Now, it appears as though something from world gen got dropped, and I wasn't told about it - as a result, the world kept rejecting the map every time the region got to the Age of Myth.
Running Vista, by the way, and yes, I do plan to scrap it for Linux - eventually.

Sorry to take up space on the forums - interesting little problem, though.

Vanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

The name affects how the seed is generated as well, perhaps trying the seed number with the name will provide the reject map of doom *runs to try it*

Edit: Looks like it is working so far... 116 rejects and rising on that seed number with the name "The Windy Planet of Prophecy"

Edit2: Damn, nevermind, looks like it never made it above 116.

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Vanan ]

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Vanan ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

Oh man... That's terrible. You sat at your computer for over four hours while DF was racking up the rejects, only to find out later that it would normally only go through 12? I would have given up after the first couple hundred. You, sir (or madam), have a new kind of dedication and patience.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

Had the same problem in the old version. I let it run overnight and also when i went to school so when i came back it had been rejecting 20 hours nonstop for a total of 16k rejects.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

thehunterunseen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »

I found that if your running windows vista, it helps to run DF as an administrator; It usually fixes my problems at least.