Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Talking to Gods  (Read 6534 times)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
Re: Talking to Gods
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 11:16:17 am »

Well,they could send their avatars...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 12:29:51 pm »

That would be an interesting mechanic-- but the avatar of an incomprehensible divinity would be shaped by the belief systems of the civilization that created the avatar-- See for instance, the depictions of Jesus frequently tendered in modern times-- It is highly unlikely that these images bear any real resemblence to the historical figure-- yet that is what the current avatar of jesus looks like in the cultural consciousness.

(One of the reasons that islam does not permit any images of Muhammad, and likewise why the abrahamic religions forbid depictions of YHWH. Amusingly, this practice of outright forbiddeness for any iconic depiction helps ensure unity in faith in disparate groups, as otherwise disagreements about the personification will fragment the religious following-- See for instance, "how many angels on the head of a pin", "Heresy", et al. If such a mechanic was incorporated, it could be entirely possible for two avatars of the same entity to exist simultaneously, and even battle it out for dominance.)

This may actually introduce some abiguity, and may help explain why human civs are easily duped into believing that a twisted looking beaver monster is an avatar of their water goddess-- et al--  Are the many disparate avatars all avatars of the same "divinity", or are some actually something else entirely, (demons/monsters) or are those avatars just very similarly looking personifications of VERY different entities?  This ambiguity would be very difficult, if not impossible for the mortal followers of the proceedurally generated worlds to tell apart.

That could actually be a feature and not a bug though.  Maybe suggest it?

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 01:04:03 pm »

That would be an interesting mechanic-- but the avatar of an incomprehensible divinity would be shaped by the belief systems of the civilization that created the avatar-- See for instance, the depictions of Jesus frequently tendered in modern times-- It is highly unlikely that these images bear any real resemblence to the historical figure-- yet that is what the current avatar of jesus looks like in the cultural consciousness.

(One of the reasons that islam does not permit any images of Muhammad, and likewise why the abrahamic religions forbid depictions of YHWH. Amusingly, this practice of outright forbiddeness for any iconic depiction helps ensure unity in faith in disparate groups, as otherwise disagreements about the personification will fragment the religious following-- See for instance, "how many angels on the head of a pin", "Heresy", et al. If such a mechanic was incorporated, it could be entirely possible for two avatars of the same entity to exist simultaneously, and even battle it out for dominance.)

This may actually introduce some abiguity, and may help explain why human civs are easily duped into believing that a twisted looking beaver monster is an avatar of their water goddess-- et al--  Are the many disparate avatars all avatars of the same "divinity", or are some actually something else entirely, (demons/monsters) or are those avatars just very similarly looking personifications of VERY different entities?  This ambiguity would be very difficult, if not impossible for the mortal followers of the proceedurally generated worlds to tell apart.

That could actually be a feature and not a bug though.  Maybe suggest it?

the way you describe it,it sounds awesome.two avatars of the deity of water,fertility and wine each taking the shape of a young woman and a crocodile,battle each other.the crocodile controls human civ A,the woman elf civ B.the crocodile wins,slays the woman avatar and the deity's sphere changes to water,wine and hunting.then another avatar taking the form of a beaver comes to town,takes control of the elves and starts another war.meanwhile,a shark demon comes too,impersonates the deity and takes control of human civ C after assassinating the deity's high priest.the croc wins again and the sphere remains the same.every creature,item and natural phenomenon symbolizes something,and therefore the avatar's appearance affects its spheres,which may or may not be slightly different from the deity's.but the event has to be rare,otherwise it would get silly...

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 06:05:42 pm »

with the brain power of the player base,someone will figure a way to cage trap em and put them in a legendary dinning room as a amusing decoration.
i imagine the diplomats being taken on a tour on your fortress an bam,a decorative god

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 06:46:39 pm »

with the brain power of the player base,someone will figure a way to cage trap em and put them in a legendary dinning room as a amusing decoration.
i imagine the diplomats being taken on a tour on your fortress an bam,a decorative god

Webbing. Read earlier in the topic.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 07:37:20 pm »

Not if they get web immune as well as trap immune.

Then you are left with dropping them into a minecart track loaded with "just enough" weight, which shoves them backwards, and into a cage trap-- OR, somehow getting them to dodge onto the trap. The minecart pusher is probably more realistically repeatable.

Maybe use a caged FB that has a stunning dust attack inside a peepshow booth surrounded by cage traps inside a chokepoint as a fixture for capture. That might work.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 07:50:25 pm »

My theory is that they'll send avatars which will just be absurdly strong versions of what the civilization says they look like.
Say there's Turew who is represented by a male dwarf.
If Turew is encountered, he will take the form of a male dwarf.
Note that, unlike normal Turew-fearing dwarves, Turew has beyond superdwarven everything.
Think unique demon power levels but stronger.
That would make a duel between a fake deity and a real one's avatar glorious.
And the image of every engraving ever.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 07:59:56 pm »

"and here, situated in a lavish white gold cage encrusted with yellow diamond, star rubies, and star sapphires, is the elven goddess of nature herself. We captured her after she foolishly decided to personally lead the elven nation with the silly sounding name that lives to the south east of our glorious fortress in a hopeless battle over some spindly pinetrees we cut down four years ago."

(and there she will remain, because toady hasn't implemented the war arc yet.)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 08:18:40 pm »

Alright, what is the war arc?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 08:27:58 pm »

It is a planned, but "VERY FAR IN THE FUTURE" set of improvements to DF, centered around military interactions of sites in both fortress and adv modes.

Specifically, it is scheduled (ahem) to happen long after the taverns and local site revamps in this upcomming version and later versions. It's something like at least 3 versions from now, AT LEAST. (probably longer.)

The slated objectives for the war arc of improvements is to include things like interactive dialogs from really real site diplomats, persistence and consequences of past diplomatic reactions, persistence of items moving between sites with a removal of spontaneously generated trade goods, and AI rewrites concerning actions that happen in fortress and adv modes, such as the afore mentioned capture and imprisonment of a flipping GOD. (eg, the elves will have had sufficient AI improvements to determine that YES, their beloved nature goddess is being held prisoner by those horrible dwarves who murdered the ancient pine forests of (inpronouncible gibberish) to make toilet paper-- and that NO, they will NOT stand for this affront!)

Let me see if I can find links in the long-term planning pages...

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 08:31:43 pm »

So... It will cause the elves to actually notice that they are losing the war?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 08:32:51 pm »

Here's a relevant quote:

ARMY ARC: You should be able to control patrols and then armies in dwarf mode. The adventurer should be able to both go with and command armies. In dwarf mode, you should have the option to control your individual patrol members as you would in adventure mode. Entities should war with each other from bandit and monster raids to full fledged wars. Upset entities could patrol near their sites, leading to new wilderness encounters etc. Related to Core26, Core27, Core35, Core45, Core46, Req18, Req29, Req61, Req71, Req81, Req125, Req126, Req221, Req273, Req301, Req371, Req398, Req414, Req417, Req427, Req444, Req449, Req475, Req478, Req496, Req503, Req545, Req571, Bloat44, Bloat117, Bloat130, Bloat131, Bloat175, Bloat289, PowerGoal1, PowerGoal2, PowerGoal3, PowerGoal4, PowerGoal5, PowerGoal6, PowerGoal7, PowerGoal8, PowerGoal11, PowerGoal17, PowerGoal40, PowerGoal59, PowerGoal70, PowerGoal71, PowerGoal76, PowerGoal92, PowerGoal98, PowerGoal119, PowerGoal127, PowerGoal130, PowerGoal138, PowerGoal140, PowerGoal141, PowerGoal142, PowerGoal143, PowerGoal144 and PowerGoal147.

Sourced from HERE.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 08:33:52 pm »

Oh, goodie. More complexities.

GENERATION 29:

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 08:52:29 pm »

bear in mind that the linked page is EXTREMELY out of date.

However, the list of goals seems to still be somewhat tractable as a list of features toady would like to see implemented; Many of the items in the list have been implemented in the last 2 versions. (talk about these "arcs" was going on waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the .40d days! Toady has since abandoned that particular track of development style, instead choosing to focus on individual areas and features he most favors at the given moment/development stage.)

While toady probably wont focus exclusively on "a single arc" with each dev cycle period, he still seems to be checking off features and ideas from that list, albeit with revisions and new considerations.

Ultimately, it seems to be his goal that things happening in both fortress and adv modes will have long lasting and immediate consequences in the outside world, which will in turn alter the way other civs interact with either your site, or your player character and their nationality/religion/creed, et al.

How long it takes for him to eventually get there is immaterial. He is making progress, and has set goals to achieve. he will eventually achieve them, as long as he keeps working. Just that this next release does not have the fortress mode AI improvements needed for this kind of consequence. Adv mode, maybe--- but avatars of deities are not explicitly given real weight at this time. Theoretically, in the upcomming release an adventurer could beat the living crap out of an impostor demon, pretending to be an avatar of some deity, and lock them up in a cage in his new throne room as a trophy-- and have fallout consequences in the rest of the world-- so it's slowly getting there.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 09:51:25 pm »

As for what to expect from a god siege:
  • Water into blood
  • Frogs
  • Lice
  • Flies
  • Deceased livestock
  • Boils
  • Storms of fire
  • Locusts
  • Darkness
  • Death of firstborns
  • Rogue BBcode tags
12. Giant feet from the sky
http://youtu.be/49c-_YOkmMU?t=30s
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2] 3