Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: rts games with a tons of troops  (Read 5593 times)

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
rts games with a tons of troops
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »

im looking to compose a list of games which focused on the mass amount of troops you could have onscreen at a single time. it has to be an rts. the graphics should preferably be poorer than usual so that more focus is made on gameplay

being honest i only know two franchises that have something close to this, and thats total war and cossacks, with total war obviously being way superior

does anyone know any games where you get to control a very large amount of units? games like supreme commander and such shouldnt count because by the point you have that many units your games start acting up, where as in total war it was commonplace and optimized

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: rts games with a tons of troops
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 04:01:26 pm »

Total Annihilation, the predecessor to SupCom (which btw, I've had little problems with large numbers of units unless there were many shields active and I had sight over all of them), and Planetary Annihilation, the (unfinished!) spiritual successor to both of them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:03:36 pm »

I remember having a massive army of hundreds of troops in Battle Realms, but I'm not sure how many I could fit on screen at once, nor how badly it affected performance.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:09:54 pm »

Spring engine and the multitude of mods for it (well its basically Total Annihilation in 3d).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:13:37 pm »

does anyone have games involving sprites? simple 2d sprites of soldiers to compensate for the mass amounts of troops performance wise is what im looking for. besides, im a sucker for sprites. think something like the first shogun/medieval

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 04:20:18 pm »

does anyone have games involving sprites? simple 2d sprites of soldiers to compensate for the mass amounts of troops performance wise is what im looking for. besides, im a sucker for sprites. think something like the first shogun/medieval

Why stick with 2D when you get all the mechanics that proper 3D gameplay gives (bullet dodging, projectiles going further when launched from hills, blocking things with hills or mountains)? I'll also refer you to the spring engine, since it's designed to be able to handle hundreds of units at once. I've seen games involve about a thousand units before.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:29:44 pm »

The Cossacks series seems to handle hundreds of units pretty well from my experience. Total war too, though it's more like a couple dozen of units of hundreds of men each.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 04:51:30 pm »

Heroes of Annihilated Empires, perhaps. You can definitely get many dozen on the screen at once, and it's not uncommon to have a death count in the many thousands by the end of a protracted match.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 05:20:28 pm »

American Conquest IIRC is pretty similar to Cossacks, and free, also beautiful 2d graphics, not sure if the unit counts quite reach those of the Cossacks but I think they come pretty close.

Also, Total Annihiliation: Kingdoms could be a good choice, basically a fantasy version of TA, with large numbers of units and graphics which, while 3d are really more 2.5d, with units being kinda 3d but you being unable to rotate the camera.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 05:24:43 pm »

AI War fits the bill.
I got nothing

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 05:53:15 pm »

How about AI War: Fleet Command?

A space, sprite-based rts with a focus on calculated attack and defence. You can have thousands of ships at a time - you can even choose whether to have higher caps for each ship type (but they're weaker individually) or to have less but more powerful ships in the pre-game options.

The opponent - the AI - is much more powerful than you, but their attention is elsewhere. You have to take out their AI cores without drawing too much attention to yourself - the more you do the more the AI will respond in the form of larger attacks and increased defences.

Cheap, too. Definitely get all the DLC for it.

By Arcen Games.

FAKEEDIT: Ninja'd!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 06:00:40 pm »

Eugen's Wargame series is pretty good with this, especially when you get into the 10 vs 10 matches where there are so many units on the field it's not even practical to keep track of them.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 06:47:26 pm »

Dawn of War 1 could end up with a reasonable amount of units on the field with a bit of modding. Not thousands, but it could pip over the thousand mark quite easily in multiplayer (even scraping 2k apparently in some mods). It also has an advantage of scale, with Titans and Greater Daemons dwarfing your hundreds of tiny troops.

Have a look at the Ultimate Apocalypse mod here (on Mod-DB, so expect ads):
 http://www.moddb.com/mods/ultimate-apocalypse-mod
It's a game. Have fun.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 09:17:18 pm »

American Conquest IIRC is pretty similar to Cossacks, and free, also beautiful 2d graphics, not sure if the unit counts quite reach those of the Cossacks but I think they come pretty close.

Also, Total Annihiliation: Kingdoms could be a good choice, basically a fantasy version of TA, with large numbers of units and graphics which, while 3d are really more 2.5d, with units being kinda 3d but you being unable to rotate the camera.

American Conquest is from the same makers as Cossacks, and is essentially a pseudo-sequel. It is not free, GOG and Steam both sell it.

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms uses an old system where they made 3D models and then turned them into sprites like Age of Empires, so it holds up pretty well, but it's not 3D.
The game is probably not what he is looking for though, since the unit cap (with Iron Plague) only hits 500.

Mods can allow you to push the upper limits of unit count in many older RTS'es, but few are actually designed with massive armies in mind.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 03:40:54 am »

American Conquest is from the same makers as Cossacks, and is essentially a pseudo-sequel. It is not free, GOG and Steam both sell it.

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms uses an old system where they made 3D models and then turned them into sprites like Age of Empires, so it holds up pretty well, but it's not 3D.
The game is probably not what he is looking for though, since the unit cap (with Iron Plague) only hits 500.

Mods can allow you to push the upper limits of unit count in many older RTS'es, but few are actually designed with massive armies in mind.
precisely

i did look into ai war. i much prefer a game thats not based in space in this "genre". a good game i found is scourge of war: gettysburg
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:43:47 am by Geltor »
Pages: [1] 2 3