Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to import elevation data on a smaller scale?  (Read 343 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to import elevation data on a smaller scale?
« on: April 28, 2014, 12:53:32 pm »

Currently you can import heightmaps for world tile resolution, but you can't go as fine-grained as embark tile or in-fortress tile resolution.

Obviously world tile is easier, since DF already supports that natively via its world painter tool.  But I figure maybe somebody has figured out a way to hack into the world gen process at the point where it determines embark tile height or after it has done its erosion to determine in-fortress tile height, to replace them with something else. Doing it at THAT poitn is preferable, because then we can just let the default game do its own thing with aquifers and soil layers and all that jazz without help, and without having to re-invent all those wheels.

If not that, is there a way to do this after embark? I know that the community knows SOMETHING about tile editing, since dfhack has scripts for things like replacing a vein with another material, etc. Could this be extended to reshaping the entire map according to custom external data? For example, shaping an environment in minecraft, and then I know enough about modding that game to be able to export to almost any binary format, and then translating it into a custom DF landscape?

I know some C++ and lua and java and various other things and can do the actual conversion scripts myself, IF somebody can provide some help with understanding the "API" (unofficial) hooks that dfhack is using, or the means by which world gen might be accessible already. Just need a leg up.  Unless a finished product method of doing this already exists.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:55:28 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.