Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!  (Read 17965 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2014, 02:41:26 pm »

I might take that offer, choppy. Depends, though - where do you live? Connectivity can be a bit of an issue with any online multiplayer game. (I'm in Ohio)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2014, 08:01:14 pm »

Whelp now that I got a hang of the game I can officially say... It is alright and oddly addictive.

I hesitate to say it is good because in spite of actually enjoying the game I recognize that the game has a lot of faults.

For example this is the only game where Risk Reward is downplayed. You are honestly better off Taking less risks because that often gives you greater rewards.

Here is my Optimal start strategy

1) TAKE Potion maker... Honestly there is no reason not to. It saves on the most vital resource in the game... HP
2) Make a Bone Pick Axe as soon as possible... You need that Iron income as soon as possible... because you need gold as soon as possible because you need diamond as soon as possible (And after diamond... honestly good luck crafting the next level)
3) If you see another green Arch, take the Green Arch... There is no superior route to this for the vast majority of the game.

My desires for future updates?
1) Multiple arrow slots as well as picking up stray arrows should place it back in the quiver
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:08:22 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2014, 08:46:57 pm »

... bone or stone, at least. With stone, you lose out on a little iron, but I've found it's a lot more likely to get the four stone you need for that in the first district than to get the four bone you'd need for a bone pickaxe. Either/or, though. You do want that iron ASAP, and eventually you can phase the excess into arrows.

As for district choice... sorta' disagree? I haven't quite wrapped my head around district specializations, yet, but there's definitely some themes going on in terms of item drops. Veldt is incredibly more likely to drop shrooms (in fact, the trees in there can actually drop them, rarely), ferex, iirc, so if you're after a huge stack of mana potions that's where you go. I want to say snow slimes are more likely to drop herbs, as well... one of the districts has (or seemed to have) better herb output than the standard green, anyway. And then there's other stuff like that. Not sure if it's differentiated enough, yet, but there's definitely incentive to go to other districts. Green's kinda' middle of the road, really.

... in any case, anyone hosting or planning to host a multiplayer run in the near future? Totes love to see how the MP works, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2014, 09:43:39 pm »

Green's kinda' middle of the road, really

Actually I find it to be far and beyond a better district overall. You get a lot more healing potion parts, you can get gold and diamond ore... You can get bugs for staffs (Though honestly... I find it better to go down archery then magic... even if it means you will have to juggle your inventory)

As well as being generally low risk. So obtaining a lot more potions then you use is quite common, and you will want as many potions as possible. In fact that is why it is often outright better then districts that specialize over it. SURE you can go to the dungeon and Volcano and get much better Ore drops... but you might as well be throwing your resources away, it simply is never worth it (honestly I kind of wish better armors gave protection, but watcha gonna do?)

So in the end, sure call it the middle of the road place... But it is by far its largest advantage and a far better choice then any other arch. At least with the game as limited as it is. (Heck I'd say green arch's advantage other then having everything in abundance, is that it is also easy)

Also I have no idea what district could be better for healing...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:51:12 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2014, 10:07:39 pm »

Mm... see, once you've got a bow and a decent supply of arrows, I'd call both the caves (spider joint) and veldt (shroomland) no harder than green. Same with the voodoo joint (swamp?) as well, actually. Volcano, dungeon, and snow all have things that actually make them notably more dangerous, but everything else is kinda' even keeled once you're packing some reliable ranged damage. So that's at least four that are roughly identical in terms of resource consumption, giving you some nice wiggle room for variation -- and there is enough variation you'll want to switch up, occasionally, especially if you're after something those other districts lean towards.

Though re: Magic: Just get a bolt staff. Ice isn't too sexy and fire can mostly be supplanted by arrows (though fire can go through walls, it's actually pretty rare you can take advantage of that), but being able to shoot stuff on platforms above/below you is golden and something you can regularly abuse.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2014, 10:27:29 pm »

I will say though that while I don't think your right, I think you will be right in the future.

For example the Caves have a lot of chests... and there is almost no reason to open them (Very quickly on there is no reason, except range, to use giant blades). The Dungeon has extra ores, but the ores don't exist yet. While the volcano, yeah just don't go in the volcano.

but everything else is kinda' even keeled once you're packing some reliable ranged damage

Those giant spiders just take annoyingly too long.

As for the other locations... They just don't give you anything to do them that are worthwhile.

"being able to shoot stuff on platforms above/below you is golden and something you can regularly abuse"

If It just did more damage. Mage is very luck dependent in that there just some skills you need to have a great mage build.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:32:37 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2014, 10:39:40 pm »

... you can avoid triggering the giant spiders, by the by. Just don't break the eggs. XP from 'em is great, though, and fire circle/dex boost and arrows still wrecks them pretty quick.

And yeah, I'd suggest avoiding the dungeons and volcano... tundra to a lesser degree. Swamp, caves, and veldt are all good, though, and at the very least the last one (iirc... it's either the veldt or the swamp that's shroom focused) has a good reason to visit (for folks deciding to focus on magic -- also a pretty good place for food, iirc, if for some odd reason you're low). Caves are also a fair enough panic choice if you want web.

"being able to shoot stuff on platforms above/below you is golden and something you can regularly abuse"

If It just did more damage.
Robe, maybe? Even if it does little damage, though, it's an effectively free ranged attack you can use in perfect safety. That's pretty great, and it's wonderful for stuff like bee hives.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2014, 10:42:27 pm »

if you want web.

Though I'd have no idea why. After you got your bow, and net, you are set for life on Spiderweb.

Well I guess if you wanted to try to luck out with a rare bow. Though I'd take the crafting luck trait if you wanted to gamble for that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:48:47 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2014, 10:50:14 pm »

After you get your bow and net, yes. I've sometimes gone four-five districts without seeing either of those buyable or finding enough web to make one of 'em, nevermind both.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2014, 11:01:13 pm »

Also I do dislike the noobie trap the game sets up when it gives you that starting axe.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2014, 12:06:53 am »

... what?
Ask not!
Ask!

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2014, 12:09:47 am »

when it breaks, as a new player you have no idea how to make a new one. (or anything else for that matter)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2014, 12:15:56 am »

when it breaks, as a new player you have no idea how to make a new one. (or anything else for that matter)

Well not JUST that

The noobie trap is that the Axe doesn't make your attacks stronger. Something someone new to this game wouldn't realize.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2014, 12:19:49 am »

... how does that make the starting axe a newb trap? It's not like not using it somehow helps you figure anything out...

Newb trap specifically implies that using the thing will make you worse off than you would be if you knew what you were doing. That's... completely untrue with the starting axe? In any sense?

The noobie trap is that the Axe doesn't make your attacks stronger. Something someone new to this game wouldn't realize.
... there's a tooltip, neo. It says atk +0. You can't really get more blatant than that, methinks?
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2014, 12:22:40 am »

there's a tooltip, neo. It says atk +0. You can't really get more blatant than that, methinks?

It is a wooden axe, maybe it is a starter weapon Frumple. I mean why else would it have stats? Heck sometimes it even does have an attack stat.

Ohh look it is losing durability when I hit an enemy, OF COURSE it must also dual as a weapon. :P
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7