Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!  (Read 17963 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2014, 05:37:43 pm »

... discovered, to my loss, that sufficiently large enemies (like, say, giant yetis) can just walk right over the doggy summon.

Less FML, but said summon can also push you around. And you can hop on top of it and ride it around (which is basically suicide, but hey). Little critter's pretty neat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »

Haven't finished it myself yet, so I didn't look too closely at that post.
I'm happy, though- just reached a new area type, and it's my favourite one yet!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2014, 08:03:42 pm »

Re: Hats, I've found going back to non-bat hats after playing with the bat hat for quite a few character is almost... stifling. It adds an absolutely incredible amount of mobility to your character, and makes dealing with a lot of enemies a considerably safer and faster process. Also makes dealing with environmental hazards way, waaaay easier. Like. Environmental stuff isn't very difficult to deal with, without it, but with the hat they become absolutely trivial. Sometimes I've even managed to use them to help me survive -- blocking charging stuff, etc., that a non-bat dash wouldn't have allowed me to dodge (as easily).

It's, just. I've played a couple games with the miner hat, so far, and I'm having trouble seeing how some extra ores are going to be worth chopping my mobility off at the knees. That dash is considerably more than doubled.

E: Though I will take back what I said earlier, about the character being fairly speedy. I'd been playing with the bat-hat enough I had forgotten what it was like without. Without that hat, the character is a slow sack of crap. With it, it's almost like playing an entirely different freaking game.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:06:28 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2014, 08:09:40 pm »

...Well. I need to unlock that hat. O.o
Booze is Life for Yoink

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2014, 08:46:47 pm »

*flails* You do! Dash normally. Now imagine going 3-4 times as far, in roughly the same amount of time. Bat hat got serious scoot. Normal dashing is "kinda' meh". Bat dash is "wonderful man on flying trapeze". So mobile, so dodgey ;_;

If normal dash is "dodge by inches", bat dash is "now on other side of room". And so on, so forth. Bat hat best hat.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2014, 09:23:36 pm »

I actually haven't really been specializing at all -- I keep wand, bow, and both sword and axe on me whenever possible, and I melee more than anything. Bow tends to get used for sniping, or for dealing with stuff like the giant spider thing. Do tend to use the leather armor, but that's because melee stuff usually hits hard enough without the metal armor and bows are kinda' anemic without some dex behind 'em. Also tend to get the green skills until I get the fire circle, then sink any remaining into blue. Don't really find the red skills all that sexy, t'be honest.*

Specialization in general just feels kinda' weird with this game, t'me. Each tool has its place... I try to make sure they're roughly equal, but focusing on one just seems... wasteful? Especially if it was melee. Magic I could see, but...

Probably be different with multiplayer, I guess.

And... yeah. Moving really fast makes dealing with a lot of the enemies a lot easier. The larger ones in particular -- you can hop over a charging one or jump between projectiles without near as much trouble (and with much smaller windows of opportunity, so you can do it under platforms and whatnot without trouble) with the supercharged dash. Makes coping with the more mobile enemies much easier, too...

*Incidentally, ideal skillset would be fire circle thingy, that mana regen blue, and blue's magic weapon skill. Zerker rage wouldn't be too bad in place of the magic weapon, but...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:25:45 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2014, 10:49:34 pm »

Melee wise, it's made getting hits in on chargers and swingy-stuff a lot easier for me... you've got a much wider* window to get your swing in, because you can get out of the way a lot easier. Like... you can stay in melee range longer than you can otherwise, because the dash has an easier time getting you out of the way of danger. Has also made meleeing flying junk a lot less dangerous... you can't really back up fast enough with some of 'em to keep from getting hit without dashing, and it's a lot more difficult with the normal dash. Makes in-and-out much easier, basically. The out part, anyway. And in, once you get particularly used to the dash distance... though that's a lot riskier.

Or rather, yes, you have to get close, but you usually don't want to stay close -- and the bat hat lets you control how close you are much better than any other hat.

Similarly, if the scourge or something has come and it's time to get out of dodge, the dash makes it hella' easier to bounce through whatever remains of the level.

It's just... I'unno if it's just me, but I spend more time dodging around in this game than anything else (except maybe crafting/gathering), and bat hat makes dodging ridiculously more fluid. Normal dash just doesn't have enough oomph for me to really get much out of it.

*Well, relatively much. It gives me like an extra second or something. Which doubles or better the available window, sometimes...
Ask not!
Ask!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2014, 09:45:15 am »

Ooooh, does this have local multiplayer and/or controller support?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2014, 11:57:42 am »

Ooooh, does this have local multiplayer and/or controller support?

For local multiplayer I would direct you to Towerfall. Unfortunately, as an older adult, I simply don't have friends that would enjoy coming over to play with me so the game is totally useless to me. It ONLY features local multiplayer(and singleplayer). It is apparently the BEST choice for local MP, so enjoy!

As for Magicite, I have been playing less as I continue to mix it up between Risk of Rain, Magicite and Full Mojo Rampage, all three are similar and all have their merits. I think I honestly like Risk of Rain the best, but that may be because I favor sci-fi pew pew over ye olde axe to the face. Mojo is really charming but I think the very nice graphics actually make it seem dumbed down to me. Perhaps it is dumbed down. These games are keeping me awake at night after I finish working on my own game. This has left me unable to be too critical of any one of these.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2014, 12:06:52 pm »

Risk of Rain never gives you a moment to slow down, though. I've played it a fair bit but to be honest I find it kinda frustrating. :-\
I wanted to try it out in Co-op, but the friend I gifted a copy to never really got around to it. Alas.

Back to Magicite: Currently having a good run. I sat in character creation for a while, clicking until I had good health and attack, as well as the Aggressive and Healthy perks. Then I put on the skull mask and started, and things are going pretty well so far. I've become a lot better at timing my attacks to kill wasps and boars. Let's see how far I can get with this build, I still haven't cracked a score of 2000...

Edit: AAAAAGHHH CAVES
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At least I finally cracked 2000 points... I got 2587.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:30:15 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2014, 01:03:05 pm »

I have to admit, my mindset going into RoR quickly devolved into "hack infinite money, riot" >_>

Magicite hasn't tempted me to hit it with cheat engine nearly as hard. I think part of it's the control, but the other part may be that the limitations on what you can haul off with you during action bits in magicite are much less... something. Arbitrary isn't quite the right word, but with RoR you have to, like, grind (and make the game harder) or leave stuff to rot. Magicite, the only thing stopping you from hauling everything off is inventory limitations or maybe not having the right tool. And that's less. Irritating, I guess? You don't have to choose between neat toys (to the extent M has neat toys, anyway) and shooting yourself in the foot.

Plus Magicite in bat-hat mode is waaaay faster in terms of movement and mobility. I like the bouncy feel, in comparison. RoR had pretty solid mobility options for most of the classes, but they were all on fairly limiting cooldowns and whatnot.
Ask not!
Ask!

Apokaladle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 04:18:06 pm »

I'm so excited to see other people talking about Magicite! I actually like it more than Risk of Rain even unfinished, and I love Risk of Rain. The pacing's way better, IMO. I haven't unlocked that much so far, but usually I play as Orclops with either the Miner's Helmet or Skull Mask.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2014, 04:57:29 pm »

Urrrrgh the more I read about it the more I want it. Curse you, lack of gainful employment.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2014, 10:28:52 am »

Urrrrgh the more I read about it the more I want it. Curse you, lack of gainful employment.

to the rescue old friend.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2014, 12:09:53 pm »

Hemmingjay: thank you for the copy of magicite, I look forward to playing it later today.

Other bay12 members: I see that a lot of us have risk of rain, does anyone have an interest in playing a game or few this weekend?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7