Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!  (Read 17968 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2014, 06:12:08 pm »

R.I.P. Taz & Grogke(Yoink) - 2014 ~ 2014  ;_;7

;_;7

Yep, that was amazing.
They really captured the whole "spirit" of co-op games, with frantic teamwork, satisfaction and off-the-wall silliness in equal measure.
Or maybe that's just how co-op games are when I'm playing them? I dunno, but it's damn fun. :P

Most addictive game I've played in a good long while- and it's still Early Access.
...The giant wasps managing to sting me through walls was admittedly a bit of a Nope moment, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2014, 06:18:41 pm »

Looks interesting. PTW.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2014, 06:36:24 pm »

This looks nice. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow, maybe.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 06:55:21 pm »

Man, this is just cool sounding enough for me to update Steam and add to my wishlist.
Thank you for the generosity Hemmingjay
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2014, 07:37:50 pm »

Two 2k score runs in a row, then a half dozen not even making it out of the first district. Yeesh.

I have learned, though. Bows are the best of things. Biggest problem is keeping yourself in arrows*, but... still. So useful >_< Especially once you get that flaming circle thing. One shot all the bees.

*Though bone's not a bad material to use as primary arrow fodder. Lots of junk drop it and it's not really all that useful. Bone arrows do more damage than stone ones, too...

Seriously wish there was a wooden arrow, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2014, 07:39:29 pm »

Rock is probably going to be your best friend in terms of keeping stock of arrows.

The hilarious thing is you CAN find arrows... but they come in a stack of 1.

If you guys need a third I am available.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2014, 08:42:20 pm »

If the giveaway is still running, I added you as a friend  Hemmingjay. This looks like a fun game to try out, especially in MP.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:08 pm »

It is still "running". I will continue to try to give away one or two copies a day for a little longer, but money is very tight as I am funding game development and I have two major clients with games whose launches are delayed. I literally have gone from wealth to poverty in a few months. Hopefully I will regain my status and can resume the giveaways of the scale I am known for. Until then, these little ones will have to do.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2014, 10:15:45 pm »

that's fine,and I hope your financial situation works out. anyway thank you for the giveaway, and try not to stretch yourself out to much on are part.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2014, 05:22:45 am »

I only had the time to play for 20 minutes, but as Neonivek said in his first review indepth first impressions, it doesn't feel Spelunky-ish (I think it feels more Terraria-ish).
It may come from the general pace of the game (the character is a bit slow, the game seems more zoomed-in, the enemies dash/jump more than they walk/charge), the high HP of the monsters, the lack of space in the "rooms", and the linearity of those.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:02:53 am by tompliss »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2014, 05:49:13 am »

It was more an indepth first impressions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2014, 07:52:49 am »

Pacing... eesh. Pacing in this game seems to be heavily driven by playstyle, especially once you get some hats. The character is actually incredibly mobile, from what I've seen, and can scoot with the best of them (especially with the bat hat) if you're regularly using the dash (especially mid-air). You've definitely got more vertical than horizontal mobility, but you've still got plenty of horizontal mobility available. I've regularly had to kind of consciously slow myself down, because I was going too fast and getting a bit reckless.

Re: monster HP: Most (non-giant) monsters don't take more than four hits if you're keeping up with material (usually very easy, doubly so given higher-tier drops are pretty common) -- many can actually be one or two shot, if you're jonesing well and using your skills (Fire circle doubling arrow damage, magic weapons or 'zerking massively jacking up your melee hits, stuff like that). At least part of this is using the right weapon for the job, though... battle axes are pretty important for dealing with the slower, less mobile/more predictable enemies, ferex, and the magic wands (especially bolt) are ridiculously useful.

Monsters do trend toward relatively static (slimes, mushroom dudes, djinn, etc.) instead of notably horizontally mobile, though. Still, there's usually at least one of a district's critters that's a charger of some sort... probably one of the flying critters. They are a bit slow on average, but that seems to be mostly to keep things sane for the less reflex-capable of players, heh.

The claustrophobic room design is definitely spelunky-ish (especially in those first few levels, iirc.), though the linearity is fairly unique, from what I've seen. Terraria's linearity is more in item progression -- which, admittedly, Magicite currently has as well -- than level design, to the extent anything randomly generated can be specifically designed.
Ask not!
Ask!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2014, 08:30:21 am »

I'm almost afraid to try this on multiplayer, but seems with a little pre-planning it could make the game tons easier.  Figure out on who's going to focus on crafting what and that'd help a lot with the limited inventory space.  I've been having more fun with this game than I have for months and thank you again hemmingjay.  You sir are a Gentleman and a Scholar

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:16 am »

... note to self. You cannot, in fact, dash underneath the giant yeti's straight forward snowball. Even if you're a bit away and it looks like you can. Even if your sprite doesn't strictly touch it when you're going under. It still hits. Splat.
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2014, 12:52:40 pm »

Those goddamn snowballs, man.

Also I want to say: Hemmingjay, I hope things work out for you. I'm somewhat amazed that you're still able to be so generous despite your current situation, and I hope you know that no-one here is pressuring you to do more giveaways.
Your own needs take precedence over giving stuff to random internet people, after all!
Good luck with those game launches! :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7