Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!  (Read 17970 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »

Definitely one of those "don't judge a book by its cover" types of games. I took a brief look at it and immediately wrote it off as a crappy platformer that probably had terrible gameplay, but then, after looking a bit closer, found that it actually had a lot of promise. Felt bad for judging it so quickly.

I'd love a chance to win a copy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 04:13:40 pm »

Definitely one of those "don't judge a book by its cover" types of games. I took a brief look at it and immediately wrote it off as a crappy platformer that probably had terrible gameplay, but then, after looking a bit closer, found that it actually had a lot of promise. Felt bad for judging it so quickly.

I'd love a chance to win a copy.

It doesn't help that the picture it uses as its steam picture looks... well... cheap

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 06:41:37 pm »

Huh, so I was right

The crafting system is really at odds with the game... but the easiest way to put it is like this.

In order to make a pick you need to combine two sticks together, then combine a pick handle with another stick to make a pick handle, then combine two pieces of wood together to make a plank, then make another plank, Then combine it all together to make a pick.

And while you are doing this, time still passes and your hunger meter still keeps ticking away. Don't get me wrong this sounds easy right? well you need to actually split the items into pieces individually for all this and combine them individually as well.

Its a game with crafting where, predictably, you don't want to craft... but where it is absolutely necessary... and there is this constant timer going on at all times to force you to keep going. Often times you will have part of an item but not know what to do with it... and let me tell you, crafting is absolutely necessary because the game does you no favors, if you don't know how to cook then the meat you collect won't fill you up. If you don't know how to make picks then you lose out on a lot of treasure. Even your weapons and potions need to be crafted.
-Note: This means that this is a "Wikiroguelike" as in you are expected to use a guide in a game... that is meant to be about exploration.

Ok let me just put it to you like this. For games like this exploration of the themes and systems is supposed to be a bonus and sometimes a bit necessary to thrive. Yet when blindly using every item with everything else for absolutely necessary combinations of items (that aren't always obvious... such as a blade making a pick) AND where even stopping to do so is outright punished by the game (if you are experimenting with items, it better not be on any victory run)... it creates a situation where the game is outright telling you to use a guide... and while yes even Monster Hunter relied HEAVILY on "you better be using a guide" for some combinations, it didn't do that for typical gameplay.

As well the game seems to not know how pointless "points" are in a game such as this. Everytime you die you can open chests that will give you extra points... which don't do anything except inflate your score... and if you did care about points, then congratulations as someone probably beat your score because they got lucky with the chests.

As well the game just fights you at every turn. So you get to a level and you can finally get your first skill... but you don't know what they are or what they do until you click (making the choice feel hallow) and unless you check the keybindings you won't know how to use these skills. (actually to get to the inventory isn't even in the keybindings).

Combat often feels too "no mistakes" even for a roguelike. You are given a very limited range and enemies will just charge at you often very quickly or at odd angles (Bees are just, too annoying for a game like this to bother with), and generally speaking you will survive maybe 3 hits. Don't get me wrong I've played tough games before where you couldn't make a lot of mistakes either, but at the same time most enemies can absorb a lot of hits. Yet you cannot avoid battle completely because you will desperately need the experience.

The Layouts of levels are often dull... which is typical for platformer roguelikes but Spelunky has it down to a science and proved that just because the stages were randomized it doesn't mean they have to be boring. This game is mostly just long hallways with traps and enemies kind of laid about. Except to go to rooms with tons of floating spiked rocks slowly going back and forth.

I'll keep playing to see if the game gets better, but I feel more like I am fighting the game itself rather then "getting the groove". Right now I am trying to train myself to make items as fast as possible so I don't die from starvation. There is a good chance this is just one of those "terrible start" games where you have to get at least an hour in before the game hands you the tools to get around the earlier pain.

So far I give this game a 3/10

My tip for everyone?: Use a guide! The game is probably more fun that way.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:52:59 pm by Neonivek »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 06:49:26 pm »

Neo, given your current experiences I can see why you think the game is as you described. However, once you play longer you will see that many of your concerns are incorrectly attributed. Also, I like that the world doesn't magically pause when you craft. It's set up so that you do most of your crafting and refining at the end of levels with merchants. Have you been to the end of a level yet? The game is in early access so it doesn't explain things well yet. Basically, I would advise you to race to the end of a level at first, carefully killing things when you can and moving on when in doubt. I would also suggest that you only collect the resources that you have tools for on the first level. If you started with a axe, just cut trees and not all of them. You only need 20 or so total. If you have a pickaxe, go ahead and start collecting stone and occasionally other items. Little tufts of grass will combine to make a potion that is helpful. Other items are easy to create with a little trial and error. Since you don't lose materials when your formulas don't produce anything, it's pretty friendly. I still haven't felt the need to consult a wiki. I have made it to level three with a character so far. This is a game where you die, a lot.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 06:58:36 pm »

Also, I like that the world doesn't magically pause when you craft. It's set up so that you do most of your crafting and refining at the end of levels with merchants

I don't dislike it, but when the game has a VERY tight doom clock in the background... It means any crafting you do is at your own peril.

I actually had a "double food counter" character and noticed that in quite a few of my runs I'd just be dead from starvation.

It's set up so that you do most of your crafting and refining at the end of levels with merchants. Have you been to the end of a level yet?

Yes, yes I have. I actually find level 2 to be EASIER then level 1... since Level 1 contains nothing but enemies you are not equipped for (Fast speedy enemies who charge you and flying enemies)

Little tufts of grass will combine to make a potion that is helpful.

The potion you actually want you get from the slimes.

Since you don't lose materials when your formulas don't produce anything, it's pretty friendly

Except it costs food... which is a vital and sometimes even rare resource.

This is a game where you die, a lot

My suggestion is start off with more then 4 hp, it will let you survive two hits.

----

Hmm apperantly food doesn't run out in towns.

Also yay! first 100% unavoidable death due to leap of faith into enemies. Thanks game for removing one of my issues and giving me another.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:20:28 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 07:23:27 pm »

... from what I've seen looking at LPs and whatnot, you can scroll the screen. Far enough to see whatever the game throws at you, at the moment. No need for leaps for faith.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 07:30:08 pm »

... from what I've seen looking at LPs and whatnot, you can scroll the screen. Far enough to see whatever the game throws at you, at the moment. No need for leaps for faith.

Nice of the game to tell me that :P

Just checked... Nope it was still a leap of faith because of an obstacle I had to pass

I can do a full review if you would like :P
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:35:42 pm by Neonivek »

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 07:51:37 pm »

This seems like an interesting concept for a game, I'd be more than happy if you passed me a copy.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 07:58:19 pm »

@Neonivek. Surely it'd be more of a "first impressions" of an early access title than an actual review? I'm not saying this invalidates any opinion of the game as it stands, but there is a difference between the two. Especially to games with a learning curve (or ones where crafting recipes/guides come into play) or those of the roguelike genre.

Also, count me in Hemmingjay. I'm pretty sure I'm mr_sambojin on steam. I'll check and update this post.
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 08:10:06 pm »

There got to the 6th level and played for over an hour.

Also a lot of my complaints are not things that are going to be fixed.

Also "Early access Title" deserve to be reviewed just as much as full titles. They are enticing you with early access so certainly the quality of said early access should be considered perfectly valid. Certainly not a comment on the finished product (should it ever exist) but still.

I will say you will be DREADING flying enemies. Honestly just avoid them if possible, they aren't worth the effort.

As for Learning Curve. I just have to compare it to Spelunky's learning curve. I die just as much in that game, but what is the difference between these two games?

As well I feel I'd have to play for a few more hours before I can do a review. So I'd be talking about 6 more hours. A decent amount of time.

---

Also Hemmingjay I will contradict you... You need to make a pick ASAP! because you need the stone to make a full set of stone armor

Also I think the creators should alter armor crafting to be a bit more lenient with the ingredients you use.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:22:44 pm by Neonivek »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 08:27:31 pm »

Fair enough. 6-8 hours of playtime is pretty standard for a reasonable review I guess. I actually look forward to it, but will take that into account (many games do take longer to "feel comfortable with", but I'm not sure that this is one of them). It's not exactly a necessity to finish a game to be able to portray an accurate view of gameplay from your own perspective (not many people could review a lot of roguelikes if that were the case).
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:42 pm »

Mind you I do think the game has merit, it just needs a push. It is a bit more fun the more I play, but the odd thing is that I never take back anything I said. It just learn to compensate better.

Also Tip 3: Swords have higher drop rates against enemies.

Tip 4: Don't use axes against ordinary enemies unless it has a + to attack.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:44:08 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 09:34:24 pm »

Those aren't classes they are "races" which only amount to a few stat changes and starting items.

Which... don't matter after a while. The items are superfluous.

The Hats though are far more useful then the races as they actually have long lasting effects.

As I said the game always hovers CLOSE to being a good time.

Did you know that when you craft an item there is a chance it will be a rare item?

Tip 5: Gatherer is probably the best trait you can get for your starting character.. In fact it is soo good that frankly it would still be worth it if it took up both slots. Double drops are not only helpful but often vital.

Also I noticed after using a Bone pick that I got Iron, was I just far enough in the game to get iron or does the quality of the pick determine drops?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:37:58 pm by Neonivek »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:24 am »

I feel the reviews so far have been fair. The game is enjoyable but not quite fun. It is rather addictive though, so that makes it an odd beast. They have some really good things going for them, but they haven't quite honed in on what will make it exceptional.

I have given away two more copies today.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 10:08:22 am »

Thanks Hemmingjay! Time to try out this thing. :)
Here's hoping there's plenty of loot to steal.

Edit: ...I'll be honest, I was getting a tad frustrated with this game until I ate something. Childish humour saves the day yet again!
Editedit: Okay, these giant wasps are ridiculously annoying. Guess that's one enemy you just have to avoid.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:55:51 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7