Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!  (Read 17964 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:12:58 pm »

Ok, not really, but it's damn good an I needed you to look here.
It has many roguelike qualities but is it's own thing. It's on Steam for $6 roughly. I'll give a few copies away to those of you who are interested. Make sure I am your Steam friend and make sure you wishlist the game. I will randomly select a few of you each day this week and give you a copy. I just ask that you then come here and post your thoughts about the game.

*Stolen from website*
Explore, craft, and survive in this Multiplayer RPG Platformer with permanent death! Featuring many Rogue-like elements, Magicite randomly generates each underground dungeon for you and your friends to delve deep into. Chop trees, mine ores, and hunt beasts in order to collect the resources and materials you need to survive the harsh and unforgiving environment. With a ton of character traits, stats, companions, and classes, players will have a different experience each play through! Be prepared to die... A LOT.

Magicite's main influences were mainly Monster Hunter and Spelunky. I loved the resource collection and crafting in Monster Hunter, and of course fighting giant monsters with my friends. Spelunky's brutal yet rewarding platforming was also something that I wanted to capture with Magicite.

Features currently implemented:

Randomly Generated Dungeons - Experience a new dungeon each time you play. Expect tons of trees to chop, ores to mine, plants to harvest, and bugs to catch! Oh and giant monsters.
    Permanent Death - The game logs all of your stats in a play through, leading the way for achievements and upgrades.
    Crafting System - Combine any two items to create a new one! For example, Wood + Wood = Plank. There are tons of combinations to discover!
    Combat System - If you plan on just running in and swinging you sword, you're gonna get wrecked. Take time to craft useful items and examine enemy positioning before executing a well timed attack.
    Multiplayer - Want to put your friendships to the test? This is the game to do it! Permanent death only occurs when the ENTIRE party has fallen. So if your buddy gets knocked out feel free to run over and help him back up. Or not...

Upcoming/Planned Features:

More Biomes
    Unlockable Races & Companions
    Bestiary
    Achievements
    Card Collecting
    More Items and Gear!
    More Enemies!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Magicite -like a 2d version of Dark Souls!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:36:32 pm »

... y'know, funny story, but for the longest time I thought Dark Souls (Or... whatever the first one was in that series.) was 2d. Or rather, isometric style ala diablo or whatever.

And then I managed to get in on a free week or something. Dreams shattered. Hopes lost. Action-based 3d games get along with neither me nor my computer, haha.

Which is to say, this looks kinda' interesting. Will keep eye on it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:42:20 pm »

Yea, this looks really cool and I had my eye on this for an while, Can I have an copy of this hemmingjay?

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 01:24:36 am »

wow this looks like something a group of bay12 members can mess around with.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 02:02:49 am »

It looks interesting... though some of the features seem a bit like over complexity.

I am not sure I want to be pausing a 2d platformer roguelike to craft... but then again maybe it is well implemented (Heck it was poorly implemented in Dead Rising 2, but it was still a neat feature)

Also oddly enough one of my favorite games just had running and attacking, but was actually really good for that. Everything was a one hit kill, but enemies would just swamp you if you took your time. So the goal was to keep on your feet and attack at exactly the right point or else you would get cut down. It is the only game I can think of where the normal enemies were tons of fun but the bosses were just slogs.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:07:36 am by Neonivek »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 02:16:06 am »

I might be interested, although I've never played Spelunky.
I remember looking at this a while ago on Steam, in fact I believe it's already on my wishlist. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 03:33:42 am »

I have given away 2 copies today and will give a few more away tomorrow. The game has really grown on me. I hated it the first 5 minutes. Then came back for 10 mins. Then sat for four hours. Now I have lost a night to it.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 03:42:13 am »

ptbwigh

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 03:54:17 am »

Make sure I am your Steam friend and make sure you wishlist the game.
This might be a silly question (since I'm 50% sure I know what the answer is going to be), but what is your steam name? (I'm at work, so I can't test my hypothesis)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 04:55:52 am »

it's hemmingjay.  :)

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 09:25:52 am »

I've had my eye on this game for a bit, glad to see a thread for it now. PTW

Lithare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:38 am »

Posting to follow.  Thanks for helping this come to my attention.  I'll check it out more when I'm home.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 09:44:22 am »

I've had it on my wishlist for a while now, as this game seems right up my alley. Sign me up.
I LOST THE GAME

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 09:47:27 am »

I've also had this on my wishlist for awhile now and would like the opportunity for a copy, I'll add you to my friend's list on steam even if I don't get one though cause I'm liking the cut of your jib :D

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 10:44:27 am »

Oh wow, colour me interested. Don't know why I haven't noticed this one before, but it looks damn good, and I'd certainly like a copy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7