Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is this dragon doing?  (Read 1629 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
What is this dragon doing?
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:36:38 pm »

I've got a guest, but he won't come in.

He's standing outside, not moving, on top of a lowered drawbridge, next to a road.

This is directly below. Sorry for the mess--there are ramps under the junk at the top of the image.

Is he actually trying to attack the armor stand? He seems too far away, plus he's on the wrong z-level and there's kind of a wall in the way. He's standing on the bridge, so I can't imagine he's attacking that, and the wiki says they don't attack roads. Is there something else I'm missing? Is there a way to convince him to come inside so I can trap him, or am I going to have to put him down?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: What is this dragon doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:15:49 pm »

He's just admiring your drawbridge, man.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:23:32 pm »

He could very well be trying to destroy that armor stand, or even the bridge; looks like he's only two tiles away from the center of the bridge, and building destroyers only need to be within two tiles of a building to destroy it. Whether he's actually attacking them or not, it sounds like his pathfinding is broken; you might have to get his attention somehow or destroy either of those buildings.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:31:06 pm »

It seems he actually was going for the armor stand, which I totally forgot was an artifact platinum one. An elven caravan showed up, and he obliterated it and went right back where he was, but then he uncovered a kobold ambush and one got past him, so he chased it inside. (Melted my bauxite drawbridge to slag in the process, too.) Once he was downstairs, it was clear he was going after the armor stand.

I tried to get him into the traps by sending my legless militia captain after him, but Urist (actually named Urist for once) was WAY too good a shot. Took the dragon down within 3 steps, and it never even got to breathe at him.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 03:55:02 pm »

We can use artifact furniture to distract giant monsters? There has to be a way to weaponise this.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:57:33 pm »

We can use artifact furniture to distract giant monsters? There has to be a way to weaponise this.
Yes, this gets casually mentioned as "baiting" the creatures.  The ultimate evolution of this is the Dwarven Checkerboard, but any discussion of it will be laden with spoilers.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 04:01:38 pm »

The concept of an artifact furniture outside surrounded by a field of repeating spikes has been around for a few years as an anti-building-destroyer weapon. Notably used against troll siegers.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:03:15 pm »

Get in line. You can totally use this to draw anything with a BUILDING_DESTROYER tag, as mentioned. The tag comes with levels, and anything beyond a 2 (I believe) can destroy stone furniture while 1 can only destroy wood.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 08:51:04 pm »

If only it'd stayed stuck by your entrance. You'd have one hell of a defense against sieges.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 11:32:09 am »

Get in line. You can totally use this to draw anything with a BUILDING_DESTROYER tag, as mentioned. The tag comes with levels, and anything beyond a 2 (I believe) can destroy stone furniture while 1 can only destroy wood.
Creatures with [BUILDINGDESTROYER:1] only go after statues, windows, archery targets, slabs, wooden doors, and wooden hatch covers. The ones with [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] (i.e. all megabeasts) go after everything but wells, bridges, roads, traps/levers, animal traps, chains, cages, and upright weapons.

This is all described in detail on the wiki, so there's no excuse for posting what you "think" is how it works...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 11:27:09 am »

It is a remarkably convenient way to get Forgotten beasts to stand still so you can drop a pre--support and levered bit of the ceiling on top of them.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?