Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator  (Read 47347 times)

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2014, 07:17:32 pm »

gzip 4 ever and tar.xz for the future. But yeah it was that SAM simulator (AKA graphic owner manual). ;)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2014, 11:43:30 pm »

I noticed the dev mentionning those on the subsim thread :
regarding the sub_reliability setting :
Quote from: TheGeoff
Since a lot of people are commenting on how accident prone the subs are, I will explain a bit more about what sub_reliability actually does.
Basically, the mean time between failures is 10 + 2*sub_reliability seconds. So if you use the default value of 100, there will be an accident on average once ever 210 seconds. If you set it to 0, there will be an accident on average once every 10 seconds. If you set it to a value less than -4, there will never be random accidents on the sub.

Now regarding the next version
Quote from: TheGeoff
And the next version includes an even more dangerous opponent than the frigates and destroyers - enemy attack submarines! You will also get a much better sonar system to deal with them though...
enemy subs !

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2014, 01:11:03 am »

You know, I think there's only like one instance in history where a sub sank another sub.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2014, 01:30:45 am »

Yes, there's one "known" sub battle in ww2 context and tech level that certainly made a sub vs sub battle nearly impossible when both were submerged unlike with cold war/modern era of sub technology.

I imagine it's actually good there weren't "modern" or "cold war" sub vs sub battles as at that point we're talking about nuclear powered countries, and the prospect of those nuclear subs duking it out can be frightening when you think of the consequences.

Though i wonder how exactly both the USA and the USSR lost some of their reported lost subs, if it was really everytime some accident.

At least in games there's no such problem and nuclear subs can happily duke it out and i'm looking forward to see that next version, still launching Red Storm Rising from time to time to get some cold war sub battle :)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2014, 01:42:52 am »

I think there were up to some 15-ish cases in WW2 where a submarine destroyed another sub. Though AFAIK the hit submarine was only once(the case above) not surfaced and surprised so the cases werent actual duels. Gun and torpedo duels on the surface would have been so risky that I believe few captains would have accepted them. There was though at least one case where a submarine rammed another sub.

See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_submarine_Vetehinen

The small Finnish submarine force of 6 boats actually scored more confirmed sub kills than ships. I think the Italians and British also managed to sink some of each others' submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2014, 07:42:27 am »

Wow, i never heard about that sub ramming an other sub story.
That sub captain must have really wanted to sink his target by putting his own sub at such a risk (as it could have broke too, the text even mention a minor leak as a result) after all those failed torpedoes and deck gun shooting.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2014, 09:35:25 am »

I heard about the story where two subs hit each other by accident back in 2009, but I've never heard of anyone being crazy enough to do it intentionally.  That is definitely something else.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2014, 10:03:47 am »

Yah, but why the fuck should I, and why bother using .rar in the first place? .zip is good enough.
I guess you could just miss out on things because of your petty resistance to using a specific archive format? Seems a childish thing to have a tantrum about.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2014, 10:39:48 pm »

Yah, but why the fuck should I, and why bother using .rar in the first place? .zip is good enough.
I guess you could just miss out on things because of your petty resistance to using a specific archive format? Seems a childish thing to have a tantrum about.

Ha...I wanted to say something similar but I do try to hold my tongue

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2014, 07:54:47 am »

Ha...I wanted to say something similar but I do try to hold my tongue
I usually send things to people in 7z format because it's convenient for me. I've had a few people ask me how to open it, and I point them to 7zip. I've had a few people ask me to resend it as a zip, and if I like them I do so. Never seen someone have a mini-tantrum about it though. I mean who cares about a file format? "oh noes I must take 8 seconds out of my day to download 7zip"?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2014, 10:11:07 am »

Has anyone tried to contact the creator to tell him about the Bay12 thread? He might be interested (sorry if I've missed him/her!).
I've been enjoying this game a lot, but I'd pay good money and souls for an improved GUI.

I'd love to play it more but I just get so frustrated with it - and that's coming from DF!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2014, 10:12:28 am »

The interface is pretty bad, even by DF standards. Still it's a fun little game.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2014, 10:43:50 am »

The interface is pretty bad, even by DF standards. Still it's a fun little game.

Definitely, it'd only take a few hours of work to get it much more usable though, and I'd really encourage him/her to do so, as I think it'd open it up to a wider audience. I've got a group of friends who all play RL games and as much as we tried, it just got a bit painful trying to sort through the menus and stuff.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2014, 10:45:25 am »

Definitely, it'd only take a few hours of work to get it much more usable though, and I'd really encourage him/her to do so, as I think it'd open it up to a wider audience. I've got a group of friends who all play RL games and as much as we tried, it just got a bit painful trying to sort through the menus and stuff.
#1 required feature is a pause.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2014, 11:46:05 am »

The mouse support once you enable it in the .ini make the interface a bit less painful to use, hopefully the mouse support will continue to be improved (i hope for the panels , buttons and levers to use mouse tinkering like in the Sonalyst 688/subcommand/dangerouswater serie) it will certainly be much better.

That game is already very good, and has so much potential, can't wait to see where the dev will go with it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15