Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator  (Read 47330 times)

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
Re: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 03:23:07 pm »

I havent gotten attacked yet, how does combat take place? All ive done is fire torpedoes at polish boats and they stand there and die without dodging or firing back, I mean surely sinking a polish destroyer is an international incident
Unless you changed it in the configs you will start as the USSR, which means poland will be your ally. As far as I know it's impossible to make an enemy an ally or an ally an enemy, so attacking polish boats does nothing. Go find an enemy dock and plenty of boats will be around it. West Germany and the UK are the closest, at least most of the time. Combat is really really arcadey at this point. Basically as long as you are orientated in the proper direction when you fire a torpedo the enemy boat will never dodge. Enemy boats will fire back at you, but it's fairly easy to dodge and projectiles they fire at you and right now fast travel is not locked while in combat so you can just fast travel away. Basically you can win any encounter by being at periscope depth and attacking first as long as you have a torpedo.

Also, it appears that you cannot repair torpedo tanks that have exploded unless you refit. Fixing ventilation does not cause explosions. Fixing the casing does not cause explosions. Any attempts to repair the HTP tank DOES cause an immediate explosion... and since repairs go down the list from where you start as soon as the casing is repaired the HTP tanks will be started on. This is one of the few bugs that I have found that really irritate me... and if I had an account on the forums I would post it. I wish alerts were tied to damage. All too often I'll have a "thump" in my engine room and one of my turbines will have the governor damaged. There's some really odd damage mechanics. Of my observations:
1) It's possible to get a diesel engine to end up... freaking out, power wise, as long as you are near a friendly port. Simply crank that puppy up to max and damage the speed governor while constantly refitting. It will end up showing -21474836 for total power, power generated from diesel gennies, and net as well as waste. The side effect is a constantly exploding engine that cannot be fixed unless you exit the game and come back. This is probably because if the speed governor is broken, the engine can go past 100% power. Eventually the engine breaks as soon as you refit, and this damage will damage the governor, causing the engine to speed up more, meaning when you refit it instantly explodes causing more damage, etc. If refits changed object states (IE is this bilge pump on, is this genny on) back to default settings like the nuclear gennies are it would fix that problem.
2) Some of the areas that can be damaged do... nothing. Obviously casing simply soaks up damage, and these areas that can be damaged also soak up damage, but things are a bit odd. For instance:
-The turbine generator's governor can be damaged to 100% without any ill effects (that I've observed) other than the fact that damage will no longer be allocated to it (I assume damage that would have been sent to it will spread out). This contrasts to the fact that if the steam turbines governors are damaged more than 4% (observed value) they will cause the turbine to take spontaneous damage to all systems seemingly at random... at least until the main rotor reaches enough damage that it causes the turbine to explode.
-Nuclear Generator's pressure vessel does nothing if damaged, at least as far as I saw. I assumed it would at least let out radiation if damaged, but nothing, even at 100%.
3) It is impossible to fix torpedo fuel tanks. Any attempts to repair a 100% damaged HTP tank will be met with an explosion.
I know this is a new game and all, and I'm not ranting about any of this... I'm just letting people know what I've found so far.

If someone wants I can do a small writeup with each object and what damage does to each piece of it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:24:46 pm by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 03:54:02 pm »

Is there a way to access a world map? because the overall periscope view is pretty small

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 04:01:58 pm »

Is there a way to access a world map? because the overall periscope view is pretty small
M
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2014, 04:38:51 pm »

Once the door is locked, it is broken.

Also, SCRAMed reactors that overheat...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Gradiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »

Does anyone have a list of what countries are playable and what their codes are to play as them?

E: Figured it out; opened nations.list with notepad.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:24:52 pm by Gradiant »

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2014, 06:29:26 pm »

Once the door is locked, it is broken.

Also, SCRAMed reactors that overheat...
To unlock a door you have to open it with O. You can close it with O again and it will be unlocked. Also SCRAMed reactors still require coolant so they don't overheat, just not nearly as much coolant. It makes sense... a control rod basically controls how fast a nuclear reaction occurs, but even with the rod fully inserted stopping a chain reaction the nuclear reaction (SCRAMing it) the reaction is still occurring.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2014, 08:14:37 pm »

Thanks for the tip, and then explain how working pumps caused an overheat still.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2014, 11:13:13 pm »

How do you get more oxygen into you sub? The fire suppression malfunctioned in my command center and doomed me.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2014, 11:44:16 pm »

If your electrolysis is working, oxygen will slowly regenerate. Also, you can surface and crack open a window, so to speak.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2014, 11:45:58 pm »

The vents were all open and I was surfaced, never got my oxygen to come back up. Also, how do you turn off a reactor? My coolant pump broke... bat day.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2014, 04:58:31 am »

The vents were all open and I was surfaced, never got my oxygen to come back up. Also, how do you turn off a reactor? My coolant pump broke... bat day.
You have to go into the reactor control panel and SCRAM it. Or adjust the control rods to 100%.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2014, 08:05:18 am »

After switching to USA for a change of starting location, that was New York, i recieved a radio message tasking my sub to sink a ship roughly half way between Ireland and Iceland .

On the way of course a little accident happened, some fire suppression system malfunction in the generator room.
Easy to fix that, i went to the Misc System control panel and stopped the fire suppression system on that room.

Then resumed my course, with accelerate travel.
I started to see the guys in the generator room falling in the red, i decided to look on them and found that they were getting inconscious from the lack of oxygen... oops i forgot to re-open the vent sytem on that room when i stopped the fire suppression, sorry guys.

too bad there's no coming back from this situation for the crew, even after ventiling and so after a while the unconscious guys died.

I had to get to La Rochelle in France to refit my crew and additionally repair the reactor that just got damaged before entering the port area.

After that i moved to the mission location, enabled quickly my radar and found the target to the east at +/- 50nm, i went to periscope depth and moved there with some more fast travel, until i spotted the enemy on the periscope map.
For more precaution i moved behind that warship from USSR and launched a torpedo that got rid of it , though since i play it really looks like the enemy does not put a fight so cautious approach may be uneeded

On the way to the 2nd mission that the radio assigned to me , a torpedo fuel tank basically exploded killing everyone inside of that room, fortunately i was on surface, but still i had to get back to La Rochelle again as it was the nearest port.

I went to the 2nd mission location, that was far east from Cuba and found another enemy warship, managed to sink it, but it wasn't the actual warship class i was tasked to destroy, a bit puzzled i moved in circles around the mission location with surface radar enabled and finally got a contact after a couple of circling.

Went to periscope depth and started my approach.
It wasn't a warship but a large cargo ship from East Germany that met an unfortunate demise after my torpedo got right into it.

Happy of having my sub survived 2 missions , i decided to get back to port but ran into a contact while doing so, but before i decided to move to location, fire started in the torpedo room and in the crew quarter.
I lost a guy in the torpedo room but managed to put out fire in both areas, didn't forgot to open the vents after that.

I decided to ignore the enemy, the torpedo room really looked bad now, and get back to New York, as the coolant system of one of the reactor started getting damage.

Once in New York after no more accidents, i wished there was a save game function to resume my hunt later. Or at least some stat page for when you're finished.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2014, 12:42:16 pm »

This game is fun for awhile until you are able to handle emergencies and sink ships with impunity. Great potential really, looks like he developed the core very well. Just have to wait for a bit more aggressive AI and other boats.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2014, 03:04:29 pm »

I really hope the dev will manage to get the battle reaching the level of the old Red Storm Rising.

While being kept simple in the battle execution (as unlike a Sub Command or Dangerous Water you didn't had to go to calculate a fire solution in TMA) RSR had a great tactical layer with enemy pinging or hiding, deploying countermeasure and trying to evade , with the noise or thermal layer playing a great role to keep you or your opponents hidden or revealing itself.

Even the simple sonar was useful in identifying opponent and possible bearing

With a Red Storm Rising level of battle, Sub Commander would eat all my free time :D

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2014, 04:09:42 pm »

How do you get more oxygen into you sub? The fire suppression malfunctioned in my command center and doomed me.
Surface, go the Misc panel, hit P for purge. Give it a bit, then press P again. Don't dive while purging or you'll flood.
If you get radiation leaks you can vent the bad air by surfacing, purging and opening the reactor room vents and performing your repairs in the open air.
Think that's all correct. I'm sure someone will chime in if not.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15