Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator  (Read 47296 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 06:13:58 am »

I recommend to open gameoptions.ini and set mouse_enable = 1   (default being mouse_enable = 0 )
It's really much better for controlling the sub , clicking on the various equipment.
It does not allow to control everything, but i really hope the mouse control will continue to be improved to be able to do everything with it.

edit
starting from the ussr side, i got the mission to recon the port at Belfast and had to get all the way to there, sinking several enemy ships or transport .
And finally managed to get it done

Now on the travel back to the port, catastrophic failures after disastrous ones, despite the crew best effort at trying to fix those numerous fire and breakage, it just ended with everyone dead and a sub that was a complete wreck.
An heroic effort from one of the torpedo room crew that managed to repair a room after i stopped the automatic fire extingisher, and forgot completely to open again the ventilation, the poor guy asphyxied himself to death bravely trying to repair the wreckage.

But now what was funny is that i was able to drive the sub all the way back to the nearest soviet-friendly port, in that destroyed state with all the crew being long dead.
And refit it there, to regenerate it and the crew completely.

Looks like the game needs some "game over" conditions :D (and a "save game" function too)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:26:18 am by Robsoie »

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 10:37:16 am »

I have found if you go into the gameoptions file you can alter the game speed. But it's permanent, so if you put it on slow you'll have to deal with perma slow.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 11:10:41 am »

I just hope I don't put a rookie officer in charge while I go inspect the torpedo tubes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 03:46:02 pm »

Okay, I'm going to sail into an enemy port and see exactly how long it takes, once surfaced, to kill everyone aboard and disable the sub. Wish my glorious Soviet crew luck!
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 03:58:11 pm »

Holy crap this looks like FTL in a submarine, I gotta play

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 04:14:38 pm »

Is it just me or are fires breaking out randomly for no reason? Torpedo room almost always sets off the fire suppression system immediately after leaving port, and now both of my diesel generators exploded, followed by a random fire in the command center.

Also, random loud "bangs" even when motionless.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 04:26:46 pm »

Is it just me or are fires breaking out randomly for no reason? Torpedo room almost always sets off the fire suppression system immediately after leaving port, and now both of my diesel generators exploded, followed by a random fire in the command center.

Also, random loud "bangs" even when motionless.

Yes. Randomized fires will occur, as will randomized fire suppression malfunctions/damage. The bangs indicate damage, check the misc panel. Also, lasted approx 4 minutes realtime before I was stuck on the ocean floor with a dead sub.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 04:32:08 pm »

If you think the sub is getting too many random "accidents" in too short time, you can increase the sub_reliability settings (that by default is set to 100) in the gameoptions.ini

But in the same time having something to do thanks to the sub getting failures, helps to keep the fun going when you're getting a mission location at a long distance from where you are and you just fast forward the travel.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 04:46:45 pm »

Does anyone know what the repair order is on the explodey objects (Torp fuel, diesel engines, turbines)?
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 04:52:05 pm »

Have you tried to select a crew member ( V key with the cursor on it or near) then use the O key (order) and move the cursor to the exploded part and see if there's a Repair action that appear ?

I have not yet dealt with exploded stuff but i had a crew member repairing a hull breach (destroyed tile of hull) so it should work.

Maybe before sending the selected crew to repair, order him to go to the equipment storage (key E for the selected crew) so he can get some protection/tools to repair more efficiently.

edit : yes that's it, i just got a destroyed fuel storage that killed a crew before i could put out the fire, and ordering manually a guy to repair worked.

edit 2 : uh oh 2nd explosion at the torpedo fuel storage that killed my best repair guy, we then can't repair more of those breached hulls and water hasn't ceased to come in.
My lack of speed in manually locking (as closing seemed to not be enough) the doors allowed more water to come in and get more crew drowning (forgot to put them on break, such stubborn workers we have there, not fearing for their life :D ) and at that point even ballast couldn't help to get to the surface again.

A pity the sub is now a tomb at "only" 40 meters of depth with no way for the crew to try their chance at getting out, while oxygen will only get lower and lower.

edit 3

I surfaced , not sure if it was me doing some of the repair elsewhere or if something unlocked itself, i'll be now able to repair things as the water is out, while on my way to try to get refit in a nearby port

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:19:24 pm by Robsoie »

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 05:20:13 pm »

I had meant what order the subsystems should be repaired. I know for the torpedo tubes if you repair the HTC before the ventilation or casing it will explode again.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 05:26:46 pm »

Some more destruction (the diesel storage !) that by miracle didn't killed anyone but breached severely the hull on several part, more repair (as i could equip again now that the water was gone), and my sub managed to make it to a friendly port and refit

That was close, but oh so much fun.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 05:35:58 pm »

Yeah without documentation on what should be repaired first repairs with the more complex system are almost impossible at a certain point of destruction, because things will explode when they are half repaired because the system turns on and damages itself until it explodes.

edit: For instance, if the governor on steam turbines is not repaired it will damage the turbine if it is on, meaning it will probably explode by the time you can turn it off. If you forget to turn it off before you start fixing things it will explode, cause a fire, and probably kill the person repairing it. For the turbine generator I think if you fail to repair the governor, stator, wiring, and casing BEFORE the turbine, it will cause fires/explode if you have your reactors on.

edit2: Yeah I basically had to shut down both of my reactors and repair my diesel engines in order to power my electric turbine so I can limp back to a friendly port. I basically ran out of torpedos and had two warships on me. I ran to deep waters and submerged deep enough so they would stop, but I already had taken enough damage and the generator and engine room to cripple me. My turbine generator exploded, rendering me without any power except battery, so I had to surface. The warships were gone but every time I repaired my turbine genny it would explode at a certain point because it turned back on and damaged itself. Eventually I lost the crew that were wearing radiation suits and gas masks and had to turn my nuclear generators off so they wouldn't spew radiation out if damaged because I could not repair them without losing more crew. Since diesal engines don't break unless you have them turned on and I have NOT turned them on yet, if I can fix them I can limp home to a port and refit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:52:39 pm by Mono124 »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 05:58:39 pm »

Hopefully for some future version there will be some documentation on the exact order of repairs/need to shutdown to avoid consecutive explosions.

The more i play, the more i really like how indepth some parts are, while for now the actual sub battle aspect is currently more arcade than tactical, the management of the sub and the repairs gives it a very authentic atmosphere.

Can't wait to see what the developers will do for future versions

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 06:04:18 pm »

Well my longest game ever finally died. While repairing the gennies, genny 1 was repaired and genny 2 almost repaired so I turned on genny 1. Or at least I thought I did... I ended up turning on genny 2. The explosion and fire killed 2 crew and killed the nuclear genny console. Before I could repair the nuclear genny went critical and I had to do a crash dive to put out the fires since my misc control panel was destroyed. With so many breaches my sub could not surface, and without power to convert air to oxygen.... the 8 crew that survived so much perished from lack of air.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15