Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chaos Seed translation released! Build a huge feng-shui cave full of monsters.  (Read 2384 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chaos Seed is a previously Japan-only SNES game where you play a cave hermit who has to heal the damaged earth by building a magic cave and summoning monsters to help you use it to gather energy.

The catch, of course, is that when a weird-looking cave hermit sets up a cave and fills it with monsters, the local government tends to react violently, so you also have to defend your cave from regular invasions from above (as well as monsters invading from below.)  The game is sort of a combination of an action-RPG with Dungeon Keeper themes; you choose what rooms you'll build and where, and set up patrol routes for your monsters so they can keep your cave running.

Anyway, you can get the translation here; it seemed like it might be of interest to some people here.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile

I don't think ROMS are allowed to be discussed on these forums ???.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

This isn't discussing the ROM*, though :P Just the translation and the game itself, both of which are acceptable topics.

Anyway yeah, Chaos Seed. Dungeon Keeper meets Secret of Mana meets feng-shui. It's great. I love it. I need to play it more, soon.

*At least until someone posts a link to one or asks for it, which. Don't. That is crossing the forum ToS line.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, that's just a link to the translation patch.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds interesting.

ed: gonna have to hook up the controller, i wasn't expected cuhrazy skill mechanics from a snes game.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:11:07 pm by Rez »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very cool. Have been waiting for a good translation of this game for ages.

I do wish that site would give more information about the translation patch, though. "Fully Playable" has been used to describe 100% translations as well as games with 80% translated menus and UI but little to no dialogue translation.

(Off-topic, but holy cow are the "Game Reviews" on romhacking.net cringe-worthy. Half of the games I clicked on had a game review starting with the admission that they'd never really played the game, and then went on to give completely false information about the game based on that one time they played it back in the day at a friend's house.)
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

(Off-topic, but holy cow are the "Game Reviews" on romhacking.net cringe-worthy. Half of the games I clicked on had a game review starting with the admission that they'd never really played the game, and then went on to give completely false information about the game based on that one time they played it back in the day at a friend's house.)
All reviews are secretly that. Professional game journalists get a game and are expected to submit an article in a day or two. That includes the time they spend writing the thing and attending meetings about previous articles (or whatever it is that journalist days consist of). Being professionals, though, they don't usually give obviously false information.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All reviews are secretly that. Professional game journalists get a game and are expected to submit an article in a day or two. That includes the time they spend writing the thing and attending meetings about previous articles (or whatever it is that journalist days consist of). Being professionals, though, they don't usually give obviously false information.

No.

What do you do for a living?  I'd like to completely misrepresent it.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

IT. And I think that ship has sailed. :P

On a related note, I'm guessing you are/were/closely know someone in the game reviewing business. Care to give us your take?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IT. And I think that ship has sailed. :P

On a related note, I'm guessing you are/were/closely know someone in the game reviewing business. Care to give us your take?

While i have noone really close to the industry i did read an article about that in a local gaming magazine that runs monthly.
Basically in a perfect world the reviewer will have a week or two to do his reviews (among other things) but since they don't get review copies on a perfectly timely basis and a "hot" title might just come in a few days before the mag hits the printing press they might try writing a rev in less than i week... or put the review on hold till the next month.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Lithare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting to follow when I get home later.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Conditions vary wildly throughout the profession.  Generally, the larger the organization, the poorer the conditions and the more editorial pressure can influence or direct an evaluation.  I think a week of exposure for 'full' titles would be a fair approximation of timeframe.