Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designs for the non-nobles dwarves rooms  (Read 1203 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designs for the non-nobles dwarves rooms
« on: April 26, 2014, 03:35:54 am »

Hi all!

Can you show me your fortress designs for the non-nobles dwarves rooms? What is the size of these rooms, what items do you place here, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Dowly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designs for the non-nobles dwarves rooms
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:51:51 am »

I usually use a 2x3 room for my normal Dorfs:

a-f-r
h-b-h
   d

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 03:53:53 am »

And how do you build the room with respect to each other? What items do you place here?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 04:02:52 am »

I don't have any pictures of standard rooms, but most are just 2x2 tiles, not counting the entrance tile where the door is placed. They each get a bed, a cabinet, and a chest of some kind.

Maybe something like my ascii attempt below. But the bed is always in the corner that doesn't face the door, and the tile behind the door is always empty. The chest is at the foot of the bed, and the cabinet is at the side, facing the door.

b-f
h-+
   d

I make slightly larger rooms for dwarves who have made an artifact. The extra space they get is where I have their artifact stored, if I do not have a use for it. The room is not too much bigger, only around 2x3 tiles. Sometimes larger if I like their artifact.

Military also get 2x3 rooms. It fits a bed, a cabinet, a chest, and armour and weapon racks. I do have a picture of military rooms. Though it is from an above ground fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I build above ground, then most houses are simple huts. I could build them a bit smaller than I do, but I like this style.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:09:02 am by BlackFlyme »

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 04:15:28 am »

They each get a bed, a cabinet, and a chest of some kind.

Why don't you place chairs and tables here?

Dowly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 04:41:18 am »

They each get a bed, a cabinet, and a chest of some kind.

Why don't you place chairs and tables here?

Normal Dorfs don't necessarily need tables or chairs in their rooms as they can eat in the dining room/meeting hall.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:37:19 am »

Code: [Select]
++ ++
++ ++
 +  +
 ++++
 +  +
++ ++
++ ++

^Something like the above, 2x2 dorm rooms filled with a cabinet, bed and coffer, lined up along a corridor.

Code: [Select]
+b+b+b+b
++++++++
++++++++
+b+b+b+b
+

^However, because of laziness or indifference most dwarves end up having slumber parties in communal bedrooms like above. Hey, at least they get 4x8 space instead of 2x4!  :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:44:47 am by Henny »
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:07:38 am »

If I'm playing with a large pop cap, then just a grid of door-bed-door-bed, engraved by a legendary.
Otherwise, b-f-h-d
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 10:36:03 am »

When i am lazy just making lines like http://dwarffortresswiki.org/images/0/05/Line_bedroom.png and every room have door, bed, cabinet and chest. You can fast design "hive", just one shift + direction and for two rooms and there one wide path beetwen them :)
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 07:16:52 pm »

my rooms just have a cabnit and bed no floor space nothing. exept nobles and dwarves i like then i build nice rooms

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 07:23:14 pm »

2x2, a bed in the far corner and a chest in the tile diagonal from the door.
What else could they need?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

PintOfBass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 08:54:15 pm »

I always do 3x3 rooms for my commoner dwarfs.  Its not the most space efficient but helps in generating happy thoughts for the dwarfs as a rooms worth includes the floor and walls along with furniture.  Later on smoothing and engraving the rooms further increases the strength of the happy thoughts.  I also tend to use the planning mod DFhack plugin to auto place the materowork/exceptional beds in the rooms and use the lower quality beds for my hospital and dormitory, selling the excess so they don't take up space in stockpiles.  As for furniture a bed of course and a coffer and later a cabinet as well.

Cons: 

I'm making 3 beds for every one I end up using.
The small increase in tile size per room adds up, making the living areas less space efficient which in turn adds some travel time for dwarfs getting back to work from a nap.

Pro's:

Higher value rooms counter act happiness loss, the more of a buffer you have the more stable your fort will be.
I think it looks better on my screen then cramming dwarfs into as small of rooms as is possible.
When I give that 11 skill presser a room fit for a noble even though hes not worth the booze he drinks I feel like a much nicer person then I am in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN5Xpeq_LN4 Move to the 35 minute mark for a visual on how I stack them to mitigate some of the cons I mentioned.

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 11:51:34 pm »

I do 3x1 line bedrooms as well. I used to go for more square shapes but the lines are just so easy. Bed-cabinate-chest, maybe a door (4x1) if I have the time. Slightly larger rooms for the bureaucracy (manager/bookkeeper/commander/captain/hammerer).

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 02:52:22 am »

bh++hb
f++++f
+++++
+++++
f++++f
bh++hb

Everyone gets a 3x3 and I leave 2 layers of stone between each room for maximum polishing/engraving value.

If I want to get fancy, everyone gets their own weapon trap with 10 master-crafted steel serrated disks.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 06:06:22 am »

One note, when you want be super nice and give every dwarf table and throne, your legendary dinning hall will be less efficient. Dwarf will start eating in their room, so they will be not so socialized, but they will get x2 worth happy though, because it is they own room. If you will make separated dining hall for every dworf they will get x2 value because ownership and 2x because dinning hall.

This will force you to make stockpiles in corridors to dining rooms, but hey, this is good choice. Offices for commos are worth of effort too, but figure out alone why. Tombs are good fun too, you have sooo much space... And Tombs must have chests and cabinets. Armory and weapon rack is important too.

Have fun!
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.