Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40

Author Topic: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread  (Read 83089 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2014, 07:52:43 am »

>Not listing the Philippines in OP.

:(
Oversight corrected.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2014, 10:35:26 pm »

Bumping thread to add this item:

Terrorist Attack in Xinjiang kills 3, injures 79.

The official Xinhua News Agency quoted eyewitnesses as saying at least two blasts went off at the South Station in the regional capital of Urumqi on Wednesday night, while a large group of knife-wielding attackers went after passengers.
  :(

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2014, 10:53:36 pm »

That's what they get for taking away the guns.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2014, 10:58:02 pm »

That's pretty impressive, actually.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2014, 02:41:18 pm »

Quick update:

In the last week, a Chinese oil drilling rig began construction in a portion of the South China Sea claimed by both the PRC and Vietnam. When Vietnamese Coast Guard vessels attempted to interfere, the Chinese vessels rammed them and/or doused them with high-pressure water cannons.

In retaliation today, Vietnamese protesters torched and vandalized at least 15 factories thought to be Chinese-owned (and several that were apparently Taiwanese or South Korean-owned as well).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2014, 03:14:27 pm »

Maybe agree to share the profits from the land that is claimed by China and Vietnam? Probably wouldn't work politically though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2014, 03:18:21 pm »

Yeeaaahh... I rather imagine that would entail accepting that the other party has some degree of legitimate claim to the land, which... isn't something you see happen in contested land claims.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2014, 03:21:10 pm »

I suppose the best solution would be to divide said contested territory exactly in half. But then again, people will just argue where that exactly half point is.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2014, 03:39:59 pm »

"Okay, I'll take the half with the oil, and you can have the other half."

Until oil/gold/unobtanium is discovered in that half. Then they'll claim that half too, agreement be damned.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2014, 04:29:53 am »

I have yet to see it in person, but now that I'm in Taiwan I've learned that the student protestors are more or less blockading the sitting government until they resend their plans to pass a bill that will give the PRC economic dominion over Taiwan at the latter's expense. Working in shifts and everything. Might see it when we visit Taipei in a few days.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2014, 07:13:12 am »

My stance on Taiwanese politics is to support the Pan-Green Coalition in securing Taiwanese independence. I know of course that this would lead to conflict with China, but the current system simply cannot go on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2014, 07:55:04 am »

Which party in Taiwan classifies as Green? The DPP?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2014, 07:59:05 am »

Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU), Taiwan Independence Party (TAIP), Taiwan Constitution Association (TCA). There is also the Green Party in Taiwan but they're associated with Global Greens/Asia-Pacific Greens Federation, not the Pan-Green Coalition.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2014, 11:24:49 am »

I think it's "Green" because the others are Blue.

Edit: Though apparently Green was chosen in part because of the environmental parties. Huh. Welp.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2014, 01:57:56 pm »

Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU), Taiwan Independence Party (TAIP), Taiwan Constitution Association (TCA). There is also the Green Party in Taiwan but they're associated with Global Greens/Asia-Pacific Greens Federation, not the Pan-Green Coalition.

That's an interesting coalition. The DPP has moderated its stance over the last decade and includes the lovely Jedi mind trick that while they're in favor of independence, Taiwan is already de facto independent and therefore there is no need to declare independence. That's a stance that the PRC has shown being able to live with.

The TSU on the other hand, is ardently in favor of declaring independence and waving it Beijing's face like a pair of dirty socks.

While it's somewhat outside the "East Asia" sphere, I think it's hugely important to the region that the Congress Party is about to lose power in India.

While I don't think it's good for any party (or family) to have a stranglehold on power for decades (PRI in Mexico, KMT in Taiwan, Congress Party and the Gandhis in India, etc.) I'm also very much not a fan of the BJP. I think they might do a better job for India's economy in the short-term, but I worry about minority rights and their foreign policy.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40