Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancer pets  (Read 1572 times)

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer pets
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:47:16 pm »

So the nearby Necrotower has been sending out Necromancers who keep getting caught in my cage traps. I have FOUR of them now, plus one undead cave dragon. Any suggestions on what to do with these guys? Lava-pit seems like such a waste.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer pets
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:49:44 pm »

Undead bacon factory.
The dragon you should build an arena and pit it against goblins.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:46:49 pm »

Standard use for necromancers is military practice. Especially marksdwarves. You just forever have a live target (place to stand > fortification > area with critters > bridge > fortification > necromancer) then use the bridge to turn on/off his line of sight.

Or build a trap where you get gobbos in a room and then can dump a bunch of hooves and hair and stuff from your refuse on top of them, which a captive necromancer then sees in line of sight and animates repeatedly until the goblins are all strangled to death by yak hair.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:50:05 pm »

If you build a row of windows and drop some corpses in front of the candy, then breach and release a necromancer behind the windows, you can have Clowns vs. Zombies: The Epic Showdown.
The only problem is it tends to result in undeads stripped of any tissue that can hurt them, and takes an extremely long time to defeat the clown car. So I recommend you use all the necromancers at once and a pretty hefty quantum stockpile of corpses. Possibly forgotten beast carcasses if you can find them - those big ol' corpses will do quite nicely.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:27:20 pm »

Standard use for necromancers is military practice. Especially marksdwarves. You just forever have a live target (place to stand > fortification > area with critters > bridge > fortification > necromancer) then use the bridge to turn on/off his line of sight.

Or build a trap where you get gobbos in a room and then can dump a bunch of hooves and hair and stuff from your refuse on top of them, which a captive necromancer then sees in line of sight and animates repeatedly until the goblins are all strangled to death by yak hair.

If you build a row of windows and drop some corpses in front of the candy, then breach and release a necromancer behind the windows, you can have Clowns vs. Zombies: The Epic Showdown.
The only problem is it tends to result in undeads stripped of any tissue that can hurt them, and takes an extremely long time to defeat the clown car. So I recommend you use all the necromancers at once and a pretty hefty quantum stockpile of corpses. Possibly forgotten beast carcasses if you can find them - those big ol' corpses will do quite nicely.

I recommend both of these, since I owe my military's skill to constant training against the undead (I've been trying to get rid of my dependence on the danger room). If you want to train melee weapon skill then keep a close eye on your men's morale, getting attacked by undead causes bad thoughts.

The war against the clowns I advocate on principle.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:50:50 am »

stop saying clowns.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:01:29 pm »

stop saying clowns.
From here on our I shall call them the noisy mimes.  :)

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 12:24:58 pm »

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: Clowns
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 03:10:23 pm »

stop saying clowns.
The use of the word is an anti-spoiler term.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is heavily advised to use the spoiler-free terms instead of the spoiler terms.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 04:15:45 pm »

stop saying clowns.

It is heavily advised to use the spoiler-free terms instead of the spoiler terms.

The wiki explains it rather nicely (but summed up by TruePikachu). We use the term "clown car" and "clowns" as spoiler-free terms to save those who haven't seen the depths of !!FUN!!.

Alternative names exist, if you like.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 05:08:19 pm »

stop saying clowns.

The wiki explains it rather nicely (but summed up by TruePikachu). We use the term "clown car" and "clowns" as spoiler-free terms to save those who haven't seen the depths of !!FUN!!.

Alternative names exist, if you like.
I'm quite sure slothen is familiar with its use. I assume he is expressing his disdain for its use though. Its understandable, some of our spoiler-terms aren't necessary. I think most of us agree this is though. For instance though, the term cotton candy is unnecessary, its proper name isn't hidden at any point in the game, and can be found in the stocks screen at start on some embarks.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 04:51:01 am »

Only 3 good uses I can think of for necromancers.

One, is goblin deterrent. Nothing kills goblins like infinitely regenerating undead body parts.

Two, is undead bacon factories.

Three, is using them to beat up all the clowns so you can take control of the circus.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!