Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: quivers..  (Read 1800 times)

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
quivers..
« on: April 21, 2014, 04:52:45 pm »

sometimes I wonder if they rather are some kind of drum magazine mounted on the crossbows.
because my 45 marksdwarves  produce a lot of dakka

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: quivers..
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:54:55 pm »

I think they just have really fast draw speed.
Two of the archers perched outside my fortress's entrance riddled a kobold with so many arrows he died 5 times before he hit the ground.
Now if they can apply that to a siege, we'll be in business.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:13:57 pm »

Yeah on the occasion you can get them to actually grab bolts. They can lay down some serious fire. Have had guard towers on forest maps with only 3-4 marksdwarves. And the basement of it a quantum bolt pile. Literally shred early 30-40 gobbo sieges within seconds of them entering the map.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:15:16 pm »

sometimes I wonder if quivers rather are some kind of drum magazine mounted on the crossbows.
because my 45 marksdwarves  produce a lot of dakka

Holy crap I laughed so hard.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:59:56 am »

the problem about my 45 marksdwarves is the obscene amount of bolts needed to  keep em in battle,as goblins are literally mutilated and pierced to death by a cloud of all kinds of bolts
i end up having a weaponsmith dedicated to be making cooper  bolts all day

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:33:26 am »

Our bolts will block out the sun ^

But yeah keeping large ranged armies supplied can be troublesome. However it can be nice to load a bunch of lesser skilled dorfs and make them all turn out some bolts. Bonus of this is if any of them pull the mood card. Odds are ill get a nice weapon. (Doing this ive had 10dorf elite squads all armed with artifact longswords, axes, and pikes.)

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:51:59 pm »

I thought the firing speed is due to the game moving so fast. I mean remember werecreatures transform for only 10 seconds or so in real time

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 06:20:22 pm »

I just drafted several peasants to bolt smithing duty.and one of em went into a mood and got a lead warhammer that is adornee with goblin and dwarf bone.glorious.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:31:10 pm »

I just drafted several peasants to bolt smithing duty.and one of em went into a mood and got a lead warhammer that is adornee with goblin and dwarf bone.glorious.

If you want lots and lots of bolts but don't care about the bolts penetration and damage so much, might I suggest bone bolts? Puts those bonecrafting migrants to work and slims down the IRREVERSIBLY GIGANTIC refuse pile you accrue after just a couple years. They're great for hunters because they use the bone bolts to get more bones to make more bone bolts!
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 08:44:03 pm »

i have every one skilled in any usefull craft churning out hundreds of bolts.
both my legendary woodcrafter and my legendary weaponsmith spew em in hundreds in a few seconds

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 09:55:55 pm »

Hey you dont always get a good 1. Though a lead hammer shouldnt be too bad platinum ones are great. I once managed a weaponsmith (i think) mooding me a featherwood mace (only mace iv ever gotten for training dorfs. Too bad they have to be legendary to hold it.

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:44:50 am »

the lead hammer is rather good it seems.
im rather happy about a decent weapon artifact than some idiotic platinum flute or a glorified mug

Frostea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 04:47:13 am »

1) Mod goblins to be butcherable.
2) Craft goblin bone bolts.
3) Riddle goblins with goblin bone bolts. Sweet justice served.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 07:24:30 am »

You can get goblin bones without modding, if you chop off their arms and legs while they're still alive.  The arms & legs will decay naturally into piles of goblin bones (generally about 2 bones per limb, I think).  Once you have the bones, you can make bolts out of them.

Serrated disk traps do a reasonably good job of this.  Dropping the goblins down an extremely tall chute to land on a stone floor (with or without raised spikes) is also a common approach, though not one I've used myself.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Frostea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 10:57:06 am »

You can get goblin bones without modding, if you chop off their arms and legs while they're still alive.  The arms & legs will decay naturally into piles of goblin bones (generally about 2 bones per limb, I think).  Once you have the bones, you can make bolts out of them.

Serrated disk traps do a reasonably good job of this.  Dropping the goblins down an extremely tall chute to land on a stone floor (with or without raised spikes) is also a common approach, though not one I've used myself.

Dropping goblins 40z is the way to go if you are mod-adverse or don't wanna gen a new world. It splits them nicely. All four limbs and head will neatly fall off.
Pages: [1] 2