Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saving Private McUrists, taking doubles home  (Read 1243 times)

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Saving Private McUrists, taking doubles home
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:53:08 pm »

While waiting for the newest version to come out, figured to pick up Dwarf Fortress after long hiatus. Before that time I played when the 2012 version was plagued with bugs, back with the arsenal dorfs. So far, little hiccups there and here with the healthcare, but nothing too severe. Granted, with my poor computer, I had to also get myself DFhack because that contaminant cleaning feature maintain few extra precious FPS!

I've read alot of topics where recovering wounded seems to be a problem... but not in my fort I even just had one of my miner come out from mining and actually haul back TWO injured dwarves to hospital.

Now, the question here is: Has anyone else experienced such situation? If so, is it because of DFHack or is it an actual feature in the game? The dwarf in question did have high altruism ("finds helping others very rewarding"), so maybe that's something to consider.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Private McUrists, taking doubles home
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:11:07 pm »

you mean he carried both AT ONCE?  I've never heard of such a thing, I was under the impression a dwarf couldn't carry two adamantine earrings at once, let alone two dwarves!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:45:54 pm »

I've never heard of that; did he happen to be carrying a barrel or another storage object? It's probably a bug either way, but I want to be able to reproduce it.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 11:29:04 pm »

Take him off mining. Fulltime medic hauler detail. Youve got a good dorf on your hands there.

But yeah never seen that happen. I have had dorfs run out and drag the injured inside though. (Usually at the start of battles ill take my 5-6 hauler/minecart pushers and remove all but grabbing injured labor. Actually as fights start. EVERYONE is banned from hauling anything.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 05:04:37 pm »

It happend to me too, but i think dwarf must be very strong. I think it was mentioned in "What's going on in your fort?".
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 12:26:27 am »

No, the miner wasn't hauling a storage item or anything, he wasn't even strong, but very tough! His personality was just screaming he'd go an extra mile to get all his dorf friends to safety, so double the dorf haul! So far the conditions haven't really replicated due the size, gear and competency of my army. 20 squads, fully decked in mail and plate, ranging from steel to copper. This embark site had really made me appreciate the power of bronze. I've huge load of tetrahedrite nearly everywhere, with small pockets of cassiterite scattered around. So using the silver to make blunt weapons and crafts while churning the tons armor and bolts from copper for quick outfitting with some bronze everynow, so my fort is prepared for FUN.

One another peculiar thing keeps happening in my fort. I've a barracks set up with ramps leading to the roof and clevelry put weapon/armor stockpile in it, overlapping with the ramps. Now what happens that the loose gear stockpiled on the ramp seems to hit and bounce around everyone who access the ramp.. That or/and the hatchcovers above it. Keeps my healers from getting rusty as they fix all those children hit by the gear. Soldiers atleast have the benefit of armor, preventing injuries. I'm keeping a close eye whetever this trains armor use or/and stats too!

Oh well, here's hoping to get good sieges and if those don't work, might as well make a staircase to underground or penetrate some of that other microcline... After completing my minor megaproject of constructing a mighty castle fortress.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:45:04 am »

One another peculiar thing keeps happening in my fort. I've a barracks set up with ramps leading to the roof and clevelry put weapon/armor stockpile in it, overlapping with the ramps. Now what happens that the loose gear stockpiled on the ramp seems to hit and bounce around everyone who access the ramp.. That or/and the hatchcovers above it. Keeps my healers from getting rusty as they fix all those children hit by the gear. Soldiers atleast have the benefit of armor, preventing injuries. I'm keeping a close eye whetever this trains armor use or/and stats too!

This must be made into science, my friend.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:20:31 am »

Mayhaps it's my civilization bringing good army dwarves as immigrants or then the bouncing armors or/and hatchcovers do atleast pump their toughness, everyone who has trained few months in the barracks is atleast above average in toughness. Certainly needs more observation on this!

Though.. one baby lost an army due bouncing giant axe blade some hauler left there..

EDIT:
Since I don't want to make a double post.. After long hiatus on forums, I've returned to bring results of bouncing gear in relation to dwarves.

It trains dodging, armor use and toughness. I've a baby civilian with dabbling in armor use and dodging and dabbling means they've used atleast the related skill once.. Right? These babies belong to my militarymommas
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:44:03 pm by Haymaker »