Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A text RPG based on Worm  (Read 4385 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A text RPG based on Worm
« on: April 19, 2014, 12:15:41 am »

As much as I dislike Eliezer Yudkowsky and the second half of his HPMOR fanfic(one of only 2 fanfics I ever read, the other being some HP/D&D crossover he linked to), the first half was incredible, right up to the part where his patronus is a human being, he did one great thing and that was post a link to Worm.

Now, Worm has its own issues, like poorly written teen romance plotlines, but the abstract idea was awesome. The variety of powers and the at least somewhat clever use of information powers was quite good. I'd put Worm above most mainstream professional comic books, although technically it has no visuals.

I think a well designed rpg based in this world, or perhaps based on the concept but not the canon plotline, would be fantastic. I'd write it myself except I'm already behind on my other project and also I cancelled my website, which would make it hard to use web languages for the game. And making an engine in C++ for a text game would be hellish.

If you could atomize the powers in a clever way, you could easily make a randomly generated plot. Come to think of it, it would make a pretty cool roguelike-like.

I dunno how popular Worm is outside of online fiction, especially since I'm not actually a member of any online fiction forums anyways, has anyone here heard of it?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: A text RPG based on Worm
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:34:12 am »

... s'been mentioned several times over in GD, some of it even recently. Just started (yesterday) finally buckling down and reading the actual web serial after having read a good half million+ words worth of fanfiction. At 7.7 right this minute, so a bit less than a quarter of the way through if the arcs maintain roughly the same size.

And yeah, as usual for its sort of thing, a decently done superhero style universe leaning toward the gritty could make for an absolutely incredible base for a game. It's just, y'know, doing it :P

Incidentally, changing the thread title to something like "Thoughts on a text RPG based on Worm?" might be a good idea. I popped in to look thinking you were bringing news of one's existence.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:42:20 am »

... s'been mentioned several times over in GD, some of it even recently. Just started (yesterday) finally buckling down and reading the actual web serial after having read a good half million+ words worth of fanfiction. At 7.7 right this minute, so a bit less than a quarter of the way through if the arcs maintain roughly the same size.

And yeah, as usual for its sort of thing, a decently done superhero style universe leaning toward the gritty could make for an absolutely incredible base for a game. It's just, y'know, doing it :P

Incidentally, changing the thread title to something like "Thoughts on a text RPG based on Worm?" might be a good idea. I popped in to look thinking you were bringing news of one's existence.

Better not to change it then. Must wield my superpower of disappointing all mankind as fully as I am able.

I was actually considering doing it, although I suspect that, having worked out a way to cleverly implement the powers system, I would get bored during the GUI implementation. I'm pretty sure I have a functional idea for pick/representing powers, but boy do I not want to break out WinForms. Or even QTCreator.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:56:25 am »

I admit, I would be very very interested in seeing how a Worm RPG thing could be created, if only so I could kill Contessa and Taylor multiple times.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:48 pm »

I admit, I would be very very interested in seeing how a Worm RPG thing could be created, if only so I could kill Contessa and Taylor multiple times.

I am attempting to create a browser text game, single player for now, mainly to avoid creating a GUI from scratch. I finally got an Apache Server with PHP installed after about 3 hours. Mainly dealing with updates to both thingies making shit different and thus complicated compared to last time. Then I did an unzip instead of an install and had to switch it on as a service manually and all that shit. I needed PHP for the MySQL. Javascript didn't really have enough oomph. I've got a pretty good idea for setting up powers, although I do have a question.

How much control does a person really need over their final power combo? I was thinking a base power level, where you allocate points to each power category as you desire, pick a theme, select from the powers that fit the theme and are in your per category power level.

If you spread out points among all the categories you can't get as much oomph as you would if you focused. Perhaps it takes one point extra per 2 levels. So for 20 points you get 1+1+2+2+3+3+4+4. That's Category 8. You could get a bonus roll of 1 to 4 in your highest category. Thus you would top out at 12. If you split up, you could go like, 5, 5, 2 and maybe hit 9 in one area.

If you went 9(5)blaster/5shaker/2striker and had the theme of flame you could do like:
Breathe fire for 6, throw fireballs for 3, flame aura for 5, burning hands for 2.

If you went 9(5)brute/5changer/2striker and had the theme of flame you could do like:
Hard thick fire resistant scales for 3 and large size + super strength for 6, turn into land dragon for 5 that can breathe fire, talons erupt from hands for 2.

I was thinking maybe a hex based battle map for fights, might give more freedom that text based fighting. Movement abilities would make sense. Also might be able to have multiple characters in a fight combining powers.

There is one main issue I keep coming back to though. Creativity. Creative usage of powers would be limited to what I myself could think of and add in. I mean some is easy but some not so much. I'm trying to think of a character I would have trouble representing.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:20:45 pm »

I read the title, thought it was an text RPG about Worms.
Was disappointed.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 10:12:48 pm »

I read the title, thought it was an text RPG about Worms.
Was disappointed.

++Humans disappointed by this thread.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 03:18:43 am »

I was doubly disappointed :
I though it was about a RPG about Worms. Then I realised it was about Worm, the webComic.
Then I realized it was about discussing it.

You hold great responsabilities, MoLAoS.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 03:53:59 am »

With great responsibility, comes great disappointment.

I clicked it thinking something along these lines:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 06:57:07 am »

Was it just me that felt like this, or did the author of worm indeed create a very interesting setting with great powers and creative use of them, only to screw up with an annoying as hell protagonist and tweenage ruhmanse?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 10:06:00 am »

Was it just me that felt like this, or did the author of worm indeed create a very interesting setting with great powers and creative use of them, only to screw up with an annoying as hell protagonist and tweenage ruhmanse?

Yes. It's just you.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 10:24:32 am »

Yeap, pretty much you.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 10:54:50 am »

No, I'm with you. Mostly because I read it in a single sitting rather than over a few weeks like you're supposed to, but eh.
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 12:20:11 pm »

No, I'm with you. Mostly because I read it in a single sitting rather than over a few weeks like you're supposed to, but eh.
Yeah, maybe in small packages it would be easier to swallow. As is though, I sometimes found myself thinking "If the protagonist died right now, I wouldn't mind one bit, as long as we could continue to explore the setting." Maybe I'm just a cynical person though.

So, right now it's 2 against and 2 in favor of Taylor/them romances being at least a tad annoying.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 12:23:59 pm »

Yeah, maybe in small packages it would be easier to swallow. As is though, I sometimes found myself thinking "If the protagonist died right now, I wouldn't mind one bit, as long as we could continue to explore the setting." Maybe I'm just a cynical person though.

So, right now it's 2 against and 2 in favor of Taylor/them romances being at least a tad annoying.
I didn't care about Taylor's romance, mainly because I didn't realize until the thing was over that she was even in any. I just didn't like how she won against everything.
Sig! Onol
Pages: [1] 2