Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Games similar to King of Dragon Pass  (Read 14203 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games similar to King of Dragon Pass
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 02:52:48 am »

It is very linear and scripted

Kind of the point really. It is a game about memorizing all the things that happen to you in the future and preparing for them in advance.

In fact some skills in the game are completely 100% pointless EXCEPT to give you hints for later or to fill in part of the story you might not have found out otherwise.

Besides its linearity often isn't felt when some major events can just be avoided altogether or others can be forced into the light.

Which already gives it a HUGE heads over the vast majority of visual novels or even Princess Maker (the game it often feels like it is poorly aping)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:55:41 am by Neonivek »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 03:17:35 am »

Kind of the point really.

Kind of a bad point really. Linearity is never good.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 03:46:27 am »

Kind of the point really.

Kind of a bad point really. Linearity is never good.

For me linear is just a descriptor like long or short. Linear is a negative when the linearity of the game harms the enjoyment of the game, yet this is a game that uses its linearity to make the game better.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 05:02:09 am »

Linearity is never good.

Why?

Linearity is a technique that can be very useful, particularly for story telling.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 05:39:35 am »

"Long Live the Queen" can kind of scratch the same itch... It's a stat-raising simulator where you attempt to raise a queen and manage a kingdom... It is very linear and scripted, however I feel like it's a pretty well developed world and certainly worth ~$10

Can't get past the visuals, i know its kinda dumb, but i absolutely hate this anime/manga/whateveritscalled art style. Sad thing (for me) is that it's being used by 2/3 of games "on a budget", and some of them are probably really good :(

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 06:38:27 am »

"Long Live the Queen" can kind of scratch the same itch... It's a stat-raising simulator where you attempt to raise a queen and manage a kingdom... It is very linear and scripted, however I feel like it's a pretty well developed world and certainly worth ~$10

Can't get past the visuals, i know its kinda dumb, but i absolutely hate this anime/manga/whateveritscalled art style. Sad thing (for me) is that it's being used by 2/3 of games "on a budget", and some of them are probably really good :(

Really? I find it to be a pleasant art style.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 10:26:18 am »

I will say that the anime style being used in that game's major flaw is that it is terrible at showing the age of those onscreen.

When you HAVE to use the bios to know someone's age is within 20 years of their actual age. As well quite a few of the teens in the game look like children.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 11:19:05 am »

Yeah, I can understand.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 11:23:49 am »

Linearity is never good.

Why?

Linearity is a technique that can be very useful, particularly for story telling.
if only more video games had stories worth telling

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 11:47:32 am »

This so much. God I can't stand how many games go anime. I think its because its a way to have lower quality assets and claim they are stylized. Anime's whole purpose is basically to save money on graphics.

Ironically I took japanese in highschool and college. I was one of maybe 20% of students who weren't nihonophiles.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 12:31:25 pm »

BTW, The Last Federation just came out and its pretty good. I wouldn't call a C&C driven strategy about lonely space hydra THAT similar to KoDP but.. close enough i guess :P

http://store.steampowered.com/app/273070/ - comes with 25% discount, though as with all Arcen games proceed with caution, and if you are on a fence, look for some LP's, since trailers are quite bad at showing what this game is about.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:01 am »

Welp, Last Federation got old really fast, but i'v got an itch to to boldly go where no man has gone before. So i grabbed the latest Space Rangers 2 addon and its amazing, highly recommend it.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 05:12:44 pm »

Honestly thats pretty much what I've come to expect from Arcen.  At what point are we allowed to admit that they've been shovelware for years?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 05:28:26 pm »

It's conceptually good shovel-ware though. It'd be nice if they could stick around with a game for a fair while, but they are a company (and a fairly small one at that) that needs to make a profit. They do this by releasing a new game and selling it, not by supporting and updating an older title. The lines are getting blurred these days though. Little support or updates tends to equate to not buying the next title at all. This can be remedied by having a fairly moddable game though, even if the basic release is arse (Paradox gets away with horrible releases all the time because you know it will be good eventually, and will be modded to hell and back. Even Firaxis manages to sell a heap of Civ titles for this reason). It's not as though Arcen have no comprehension of community building (AI War as an example, but probably the only one in their portfolio).

Hopefully TLF "comes good", but whether it'll be due to support or modding remains to be seen. A good game, with the potential to not be shovel-ware. So much potential. I guess it depends on how quickly you or they chuck a promising title into the hole and move onto the next one. It's not just companies that make games into shovelware.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:39:21 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »

But back on topic, maybe something like Romance of Three Kingdoms would scratch that itch? Or Nobunaga's Ambition. Pretty basic graphics, very statty, and a fair few scenarios over the course of the series. Nothing nearly as polished as KoDP (the interface in horrible, and battles aren't exactly fun), but it has a vaguely similar vibe. Very cool time period to play in (China/Japan respectively) with good background information available, semi-mythological/historical. The strategy version of Dynasty/Samurai Warriors essentially, by the same company (Koei).

I'm pretty sure there were Dos versions of a few games in the series, but there's definitely emulatable SNES versions available (assuming you own the cartridge). They run ok on a phone as a time waster too.

I'm very much looking forward to the Android release of KoDP for this very reason (has it been finished yet?)
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4