Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should I play Metroid Prime?  (Read 2548 times)

Benjy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Should I play Metroid Prime?
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:29:16 am »

Hello All! I was wondering if I could get some advice. I've never played any of the Metroid Prime games before, but I've been interested in giving them a go. That being said, I'm afraid I might not enjoy them. They obviously look incredible, but I didn't like Super Metroid very much and I'm afraid that means I won't enjoy the Prime games. Both Metroid on the NES and Castlevania Symphony of the Night on the PS1 are some of my favorite games of all time, so I don't really have an excuse for not enjoying Super Metroid, but for whatever reason it didn't appeal to me. Does this mean I won't enjoy Prime or will I probably like it if I enjoyed the original Metroid and SOTN?

Thanks for your input :)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Re: Should I play Metroid Prime?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:58:56 am »

You can probably pick it up from a used game store for a few bucks. So, if you have a Gamecube: Why not?
Even if you don't like it, a few dollars isn't much of a loss.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:33:31 am »

Did you enjoy the other 2D metroids? The Metroid Prime series captures the spirit and the feel of the 2D games while not being a one to one translation to 3D. They're different beasts, but both enjoyable in mostly the same base ways. I think in terms of art direction, atmosphere and pacing the Prime games are superior to the 2D ones. But enjoying the 2D I think is a good indicator that you'll enjoy the 3D games.

The 3D games replace bombing every wall to find an opening with having a scan visor and some more explicit puzzles. I think that's usually a pretty good tradeoff :P
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Benjy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:53:27 am »

I liked all the other 2d Metroids save for Return of Samus. I couldn't tell you why I don't like Super Metroid. I understand that it is a widely loved and highly esteemed game, but I just couldn't get into it. Exploring Zebes on the NES was exciting and mysterious, but I just didn't have that same motivation with Super Metroid.

I might get the Prime Trilogy for the Wii sometime. I might even retry Super Metroid in the future. Thanks for your advice.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:14:22 pm »

I've been noticing the Prime Trilogy at brick-and-mortar shops more often lately. Looks like the absurd prices are clearing up a bit as people sell off the normal edition. I spent about a year looking for the metal collector's edition before finally getting it at my local K-Mart from the back room. Needless to say, well worth it. The Wii version of the game truly is definitive, IMO. They nailed the control scheme and the game runs beautifully.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 03:16:12 pm »

My brain can literally not comprehend how you enjoy Symphony of the Night and the original Metroid but don't like Super Metroid. DOES NOT COMPUTE.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: Should I play Metroid Prime? Re: YES
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 03:32:17 pm »

Metroid Prime is my favorite game of all time, so of course, I am always going to say yes to this question regardless of its context.

Heck, my avatar for here is a way-too-large-of-an-image-for-an-avatar image of a boss from the game.

The music to the game is also really damn good, if that motivates you into picking it up.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 03:39:24 pm »

Metroid Prime is pretty good. I haven't really found motivation to play it again after I beat it, but it was still a load of fun the first time through.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 03:59:24 pm »

Metroid Prime is a really good game.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Benjy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 09:30:56 am »

My brain can literally not comprehend how you enjoy Symphony of the Night and the original Metroid but don't like Super Metroid. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Frankly I don't get it either. All logic dictates that I should love it.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 11:35:20 am »

I really liked Metroid Prime. There are tons of secret upgrades and hidden areas to discover, and it managed to be a good FPS while retaining the Metroid style of design. It had some good boss fights, satisfying gameplay, an interesting story and world, and I played through it multiple times trying to 100% it. If you have a Wii or Gamecube, I'd say it's one of the best games you can get for it.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 01:42:58 pm »

Absolutely, it's a 3d shooter/platformer but it still manages to feel like classic Metroid, really great game you are unlikely to regret getting it if you enjoy ether Metroid or 3d platformers/shooters which I'm assuming you do because you were already thinking about getting it.

The second one (Metroid Prime Echo's) is good as well but much darker in tone, almost having a survival horror feel to it...
it's also much harder and less forgiving, if none of these things put you off then I'd recommend getting it also because it's a direct continuation of the story from Metroid Prime.

the third Meteriod Prime game (Corruption) was released for the Wii but if you have one of those rather than a GameCube you might as well save yourself some money and just get the Metroid Prime: Trilogy which has all 3 of them together.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 10:52:12 pm »

Metroid Prime was a stupidly good time. I remember playing it as a kid (well, I'm still a kid, but a younger kid I guess) and specifically recall one really scary/awesome moment:

I was walking in the dark corridors of some creepy lab, glancing worriedly at the metroids in glass cases to my left and right when a space pirate jumped out and attacked me! I back up and aimed my Power Beam, preparing to engage, but suddenly there was a crash; a metroid had broken out of its case! I turned, not sure which foe to target, when the metroid leapt not at me, but upon my space pirate adversary. I watched in horror as the creature drained the energy out of the pirate, then, floating up from the lifeless body, paused a moment in the air and grew larger.

I ran. I ran as quickly as I could go, scared to death of that metroid. I blasted the hatch from a distance, passed through, and after the door closed behind me, there was an audible thump as the metroid giving chase slammed into it.

I was like twelve years old and scared out of my wits. Best thing ever.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 11:30:22 pm »

Also, if you want to 100% it I would mention the Ice Shriekbat. They appear in one place, suicide launch as soon as you go through the door and never respawn.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 03:52:50 am »

I haven't played many metroid games but another game you might enjoy would be La Mulana from the looks of it. There's a remake version which offers a lot of improvements, but while it's not particularly expensive it isn't free like the original one was.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.
Pages: [1] 2