Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Veins of the Earth beta 13 "Anyone can be a winner" released!  (Read 31425 times)

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Veins of the Earth BETA 6 is here! - feedback needed
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2014, 10:08:56 am »

Defensive roll variant is now in! Piecemeal armor and body parts will take a bit more time...

Also, due to player demand, bleeding out now allows you to attack. Note you still can't move, though.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2014, 04:30:52 am »

Bad news for those players who wished for barter functionality - implementing it proved much trickier than I expected. Mostly due to strange engine behavior making it supremely difficult to access item prices in ShowStore dialog.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2014, 06:03:31 am »

Tell new players to not roll for good stats amd the free skill you are likely to die alot when you first start. This evening will frustrate people when they start. Tell rhem to pick stats so rhey can learn the game.

Wirh your twmplates, give people exact stats and skills to start wirh. Then level by level tell them what to pick for first 15 lwvels or so. Makes it easier to get a feel for the game.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:40 am »

Wirh your twmplates, give people exact stats and skills to start wirh. Then level by level tell them what to pick for first 15 lwvels or so. Makes it easier to get a feel for the game.
Very good advice. The beginner guides need to be as detailed and straight forward as possible really. They should ideally be for a COMPLETE beginner to roguelikes in general, so don't feel bad about explaining stuff that should be common sense. Also, it's useful to point out when you could diverge from the plan 'if you wanted to branch out to magic here, pick this' or whatever.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2014, 12:09:08 pm »

Uh, guys, I am far from a beginner, whether concerning roguelikes or d20. Also, if I focus too much on the wiki, I won't have time to code... I guess I'll work on beta 6.2 to get it out before October, and then in-between university life I'll have some time to poke at the guides.

Guessingo, thanks a LOT for the idea - however, 15 class levels or so is a bit too much, currently there's a lot of content for mid/high levels missing.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2014, 01:19:25 pm »

Prices rework finished.

Next step will probably be implementing Appraise skill and making it useful :)

Also, getter77 tells me WotC have a free non-commercial license for D&DN in the works, which is great, and that Birthright is going to be public domain, which is even BETTER!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2014, 02:20:04 pm »

Uh, guys, I am far from a beginner, whether concerning roguelikes or d20. Also, if I focus too much on the wiki, I won't have time to code... I guess I'll work on beta 6.2 to get it out before October, and then in-between university life I'll have some time to poke at the guides.

Guessingo, thanks a LOT for the idea - however, 15 class levels or so is a bit too much, currently there's a lot of content for mid/high levels missing.

I don't know where you thought we were implying you were a beginner, but I was saying completely the opposite! I believe that only someone of your level of expertise can really write beginner guides - I wouldn't really feel confident in my abilities to give good advice.

I definitely agree you shouldn't spend too long on the wiki, but fully fleshing out 2 or 3 beginner guides would help a lot. It means that whenever someone says 'how do I get into this game' you can just point them straight to a page, which will definitely be useful.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2014, 05:23:56 pm »

for beginner guide, just list exact stats/skills to start with, etc...
then for several levels just tell them what to get each level .thats it. it doesnt have to be that great of a build. just something so people can get started with. don't include any verbage. just list what to do. since its your game you can prbably do 3 of these in 15-20 minutes. you dont have to, but you have a complex game and your going to get alot of 'this is neat' then 'what the hell' and people leave.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2014, 11:46:03 am »

ran into a game breaking bug. dont know how to report it. found a merchant and looked at him. Got that lua script error. Then whenever I looked in my inventory (i), I get the same lua error. Can still drop items and buy/sell them, but Ic an't get to inventory.

Few other comments

1. food. can you make a hot button to eat? It doesn't appear it matters what you eat right now other than that you it. Its less of a hassle. just eat the first thing. EAt food that rots first.
2. when i 'use' an item, mainly for food. inventory closes. This adds key strokes
3. when i raise skills and level and go to skills, stats, feats, levels.. etc... i can't go back. I have to close the window and then reopen the main screen.
4. when i can't equip a weapon/armor, it doesn't tell me why. some appear to be two handled, but others I can't figure out.
5. adding a form of monster memory like ADOM would be nice. So I can see how I did against a monster in the past. Its easier to keep track.
6. pressing a button so that all items/monsters on screens have the item name above them would be nice. When its a stack of items, you can say '4 items' or just nothing. its a little more convenient.

I dont know the D&D rules real well, so these skills are greek to me. I am sort of guessing. I went with fighters cause they are easiest to understand. Am I ok in following Neverwinter Nights builds? Are some skills not real important? It also appears that I can only raise skills to a certain point for a certain class level, but I don't know D&D skills.

In incursion I think stealth is critical. Does that matter yet in your game? I am not sure how far I can get with that game breaking bug. I can start over. but if i forget and 'look' at a merchant, game seems to become unplayable since I can't get to my inventory.

BTW, you have clearly put alot of work into this game. Have you found this T-Engine a big time saver for developing your game so you can focus on the core game? Every roguelike doesn't need its own engine. If these kinds of things make it easier, it may lead to more roguelikes. I have played Tome quite a bit and I am a contributor. So I know the engine.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2014, 01:31:16 pm »

The inventory after merchant bug is already fixed in what will become beta 6.2 tomorrow.

1) adding keys is complicated and I'm still struggling to fix a keybinding bug which has been reported here some time ago
2) there's a switch for not closing inventory on use somewhere in the engine, must find it
3) an overhaul for those screens has been planned for over a month
4) beta 6.2. will have slightly better wording for those things
5) great idea, goes down into my notes
6) not sure if it can be done, but a great idea

Following NWN builds is just brilliant - not all content that's in NWN is in yet, but 99% is planned. One or two game-specific things from Neverwinter might not make it in (I'm talking about skills and feats here).

EDIT: Stealth should not be as critical as in Incursion in the coming version (beta 6.2. will be focused on survivability increases, bugfixes and UI improvements). In beta 6, due to an oversight, you have infinite stealth - you can attack and it won't be broken.

As for T-Engine being useful: it saves A LOT of time because you're basically entering data into a ready framework (that goes for spells/objects/npcs/shops), and you're using proven and working code (UI, inventory, item use, display, keystrokes, basic combat, basic store buy/sell).

TL:DR - you don't have to worry about the basics, just the game specifics and content.

If you find yourself stuck, you can a) plunder existing modules, including ToME itself for code/ideas b) ask community members on te4.org or the IRC channel.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:33:21 pm by Zireael »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2014, 10:09:40 am »

Beta 6.2 "Maybe Easier" is here!

As the codename suggests, changes are mostly focused on increasing survivability at lower levels. Some monster CRs were bumped so that they will no longer appear on dlvl 1-3 and you can switch to easy mode, too.

In related news, I set up a wikidot page and now that I'm starting university year, I will focus on updating documentation more and less on adding content to the game.

Grab the standalone version from GitHub or Bitbucket or wait for ModDB.

Or you can grab the module file from te4.org :)

Something that took me 3 days, but means great things moving forward!

CHANGELOG:
* bug fix - spell image list no longer overlaps text spell list [Castler]
* bug fix - no longer able to bypass confirmation of Quit Permanently dialog [Castler]
* bug fix - fix some misspellings [Castler]
* bug fix - Lua error on cancelling mount skill [Castler]
* bug fix - Xavias godpulse causing Lua error [Castler]
* bug fix - fix corpse and bag weights
* bug fix - restore stat descriptions in char creation
* bug fix - DR check not working properly
* bug fix - no longer able to use ranged weapons in melee
* bug fix - pseudo-ID and auto-ID now work for worn/equipped items too [Castler]
* bug fix - saving throws logged properly [Castler]
* bug fix - skills logged properly on a 1 or a 20 [Castler]
* bug fix - proper skill points calculation [Castler]
* bug fix - definite fix for "fall-lock" on ice [Castler]
* bug fix - give subtypes to neutral NPCs
* bug fix - no more 'hit for 0 darkness damage' messages spam
* bug fix - no more being 2-hitted by some monsters with higher speeds
* bug fix - lock out of inventory after shopping bug
* bug fix - attacking or using a feat now breaks stealth
* bug fix - fixed some ASCII letters/colors

* difficulty level selection (easy mode forbids criticals by monsters on player)
* gameplay variant options (defensive roll)
* new magic properties: light/moderate/heavy fortification
* increased CR for some monsters: satyr is now CR 5 (was 3); razor boar is now CR 8 (was 5)
* you can now attack while dying
* weapons grant parry bonuses, Incursion-style
* object flavors, ToME 2/Angband style
* switch to silver-based economy
* color-code skills in character sheet Incursion-style
* color-code max skill ranks in skill dialog, UI improvements
* feat select dialog is now categorized
* backport ActorTalentDialog from ToME 1.2.4 [Castler]

Known problems:
* Summon Monster spell monster selection doesn't really do anything - the spell summons a wolf, regardless
* some players reported problems with keybinding screen - I would like an error report or part of the log

I need feedback on new prices!

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Veins of the Earth BETA 6.2 is here! - feedback needed
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2014, 09:45:55 am »

Found a bit of free time on my birthday, so bleeding edge builds now have item flavor lua errors fixed and death messages have been added in!

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2014, 04:45:51 pm »

Found a bit of free time on my birthday, so bleeding edge builds now have item flavor lua errors fixed and death messages have been added in!

Happy birthday, Zireael!

KA101 has been meaning to try this one.  Hasn't gotten traction yet.  :-/

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2014, 02:02:49 pm »

Thanks a lot, KA101!

In other news, I reworked the UI today - it'll be easier to modify under the hood and should be more usable for the players.
Also added detect evil/good/chaos/law spells.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2014, 02:56:16 pm »

Next beta slated to arrive in December - my studies are a mess in the literal sense.

In the meantime, take a peek at the changelog.

Most important changes:
* T-Engine 1.2.4 compatibility
* AI improvements
* monk abilities & Stunning Fist
* increased XP rewards for low CR monsters
* ported over all Incursion templates except class templates (since we're doing NPC classes in a much more flexible way) and undead templates
* a whole heap of bugfixes
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13