Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Veins of the Earth beta 13 "Anyone can be a winner" released!  (Read 31421 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Veins of the Earth beta 5.7 - feedback needed
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2014, 12:01:21 pm »

Neonivek, I'll try to make even more hints about preparing spells and put them in more places (spellbook icon tooltip, for instance, and possibly individual spell tooltips, too).

What dungeons would you like to see next? Classic, themed (fire/ice/jungle/orc barracks/whatever), town, persistent, non-persistent?

I know it's boring, but I feel that the dungeons you already have need improving on before adding more. Making sure all dungeon levels contain at least 4-12 rooms, not being below a certain size or above another (with a good spread of monsters depending on size), and being linked in a standard-ish way (basic corridors going between each) would be a good start, and then to build on that to have more exciting ones. It's currently the only glaring floor with the game in my eyes, and one I really hope you can fix!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2014, 01:25:05 pm »

Making sure all dungeon levels contain at least 4-12 rooms, not being below a certain size or above another (with a good spread of monsters depending on size), and being linked in a standard-ish way (basic corridors going between each) would be a good start, and then to build on that to have more exciting ones.

There's already a number of rooms set in the generator, and what's happening with 1-2 rooms level is that more are created, but are actually unreachable (and I haven't gotten the mining to work properly yet). Seems like mining and a stone to mud & passwall spells are going to the top of my TO DO list. Next thing would be checking the level better for connectedness, as by default all it does it check entry & exit.

For now, I've made the standard-ish generator the starting dungeon again. I'll probably tweak the number of rooms and size a bit more so that it gives better effects more steadily, but it'll take a number of trial & error attempts.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2014, 01:59:26 pm »

Neonivek, I hope you're watching this thread - I've made more explicit tips regarding spell preparation. Next to come is a legend for the char creation screen (i.e. what do the green/blue/pink/red/gold mean).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2014, 03:07:18 pm »

Hokay, let's see. Not sure if these have been reported. Running off the normal TE4.org thing, so running VotE as a module off the normal 1.2.3 T4 stuff. Seems to be the same version that's up on moddb, but I'm not entirely sure.

First bug: Attempting to assign points to stats during character creation drops this on me:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First general issue: Pretty much everything involving the UI is very, very slow. Bringing up the inventory, character sheet, magic/skill menu, etc., so forth, so on, all involve very notable delays.

Second bug: 5 on the numpad does not wait a turn, with or without numlock on. Can't seem to find any other key that does it, either.

Third bug: Attempting to open the keybindings to fix the second bug indefinitely hangs the game :-\

... should I be using a different version or somethin'? Little discouraged at this point, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2014, 03:31:26 am »

First: does the module say BETA 5.7 at the top of the description when you're choosing the module? If yes, that's the same version.

Uh oh, indeed something's wrong with increasing stats. The bug is already fixed, just need to push the fix :)

UI slowness: not experiencing it. Do you have the same with ToME 1.2.3? The UI code is the same that ToME uses, so... no idea.
Waiting a turn: the default key to do so is . (dot)
Keybinding screen works fine for me.

ETA: I'm the game's only tester (most of the time) so I can't test everything, I focus on testing what I've recently added/changed. That's why the game's still marked as beta and why I find bugs after every beta release.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:52:55 am by Zireael »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2014, 02:09:36 pm »

A town level is now in. I plan to add some variations to it, however. All town levels are persistent. I also added an arena level purely for the sake of testing combat.

That's right, hirelings are now in! Getting them to a working state was surprisingly easier than I thought, just yesterday and today in between some UI improvements. (Shopkeepers have been made notably less chatty, too!)

Next: trying to figure out how to give casters spells at game start.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:12:30 pm by Zireael »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2014, 09:06:55 am »

Neonivek, you'll be glad to know that the bleeding edge version (GitHub or Bitbucket) now gives you some spells at start if you're a spellcaster. No more frantically looking for somewhere to rest.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2014, 12:00:28 pm »

Character creation, now 100% better! Tabs, deity selection, asterisks and more!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:22:41 am by Zireael »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2014, 02:18:05 am »

In trying to deliver a bug-free upcoming beta 6, I ran into an engine bug, the same that's plaguing players of ToME itself, where the game will sometimes lose track of the player completely, leading to no player on map or turns running by insanely fast.

That's the only bug left, however, so the question is: do you want beta 6 now or do you prefer to wait for an engine fix?

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Veins of the Earth upcoming beta 6 - feedback needed
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2014, 01:03:59 pm »

Deity and favor are now shown in character screen. That's right, you can gain favor with certain deities by killing enemies.

It's a start to a complex deity system just like Incursion's. More to come soon!

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2014, 04:04:18 am »

Incursion's deity system has been 80% ported (the only thing missing is the insight framework and the ability to bless items on the altar).

A test build has been uploaded to te4.org.

Grab it here: http://te4.org/sites/default/files/game-modules/veins/veins-0.21.5.team

The changelog is pretty long and I'd like to know if there are any outstanding bugs/issues that should be fixed before Oct 1 at the latest, when BETA 6 proper will arrive.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:10:03 am by Zireael »

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2014, 06:32:11 pm »

what is the insight framework?

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2014, 01:39:29 am »

what is the insight framework?

You get messages about your deity's attitudes to various things and you even get a chance to get your possessions identified. So you get insight into your deity and into your equipment :)

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2014, 05:13:43 am »

Thanks to StarKeep for reporting on a few minor issues.

Beta 6 is here NOW because the changelog was growing unwieldy!

Grab it from GitHub or Bitbucket or wait for ModDB.

CHANGELOG:

* bug fix - Lua errors in load premade
* bug fix - no more xorns showing up without a name
* bug fix - digging works properly now without errors
* bug fix - lance is now named properly
* bug fix - a rare possibility that a base weapon (without combat values defined) would spawn
* bug fix - outdated tiles after loading a premade/saved character
* bug fix - shopkeepers spewing their dialogue every time they bumped into you
* bug fix - tutorial boss not spawning
* bug fix - Lua error due to oversight in combat poison code
* bug fix - increasing stats throwing a Lua error [desophos]
* bug fix - ensured reachability and spawning of dungeon entrances in worldmap
* bug fix - getting messages about unseen enemies using spells/skills
* bug fix - proper tiles for the cavern zone
* bug fix - domain selection working as intended again (last seen in beta 5)
* bug fix - player tiles properly displaying dual-wielded weapons
* bug fix - nixed a debug message for ranger favored enemy
* bug fix - enabled drag and drop in inventory at last
* bug fix - heal log info shown only if you can see source actor
* bug fix - food items now have proper subtype defined instead of nil
* bug fix - no more searching for pseudo traps [kudos to StarKeep]

* new spell: transmute rock to mud
* new zones: labirynth, xorn lair, town, aberrant lair, arena
* new feats: Roll with It, Ignore Wound, Resillient [all from Incursion]
* new tiles: sand, ice; blink dog, barghest, hell hound, yeth hound
* new curse: of weakness
* hirelings
* deity system
* day/night cycle with exotic colors
* color code hit and miss messages
* add monster type to its tooltip
* spellcasters now get spells at start (except Sorcerers and Shamans)
* made character creation screen tabbed
* implement Zizzo's code allowing for hand-picking egos
* many improvements to debug screens
* overhaul actor tooltips code
* renamed existing zones: Upperdark -> compound; Middledark -> tunnels
* change starting zone to tunnels

I am only aware of two minor issues right now - the character sometimes having to make 2 saving throws in a row against falling on ice and one of the change shape spells throwing an error for no obvious reasons.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Veins of the Earth BETA 6 is here! - feedback needed
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2014, 01:21:42 pm »

While you're playing beta 6, I'm brainstorming stuff for the next release, including:
  • ASCII mode improvements
  • changing prices so that the game operates on a silver standard instead of gold standard
  • introducing a parry bonus such as in Incursion
  • body parts system and the effects of hitting them
  • adding weight to money and banks you could deposit it in
  • using a defense roll instead of static AC

Some of the changes proposed are a pretty radical change compared to the game's d20 roots, so I would like some opinions.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13