Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The Republic: Tensions in Tarmavsol(Game thread)  (Read 9793 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic: Welcome to Tarmavsol (Game thread)
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 06:50:54 pm »

"Yes, but we can get soldiers without resorting to conscription. Forcing a man to leave his family, leave his life, to see his comrades die beside him, and to quite possibly never return? I would never resort to that."

*Facepalm*

"The children will not be leaving their families. There families left THEM remember? So many of these children become thugs on the street after 18 and we NEED to find them a better life because traditional methods aren't working. This program will put confidence in them and it's not like there not going to the EXACT same school's as other children."
"I wasn't talking about the children. I was talking about the others this will lead to. After this passes, you'll feel more confident. You'll pass bill after bill, and eventually, national service. But, back to the children, I feel like they should at least have a chance to take some other path after school. Conscription, no matter how good you try to pass it off as, is not a good thing."

(Two more logical reasons I don't like this. 1: Cost of raising a child, in the US: $241,080. 2: 18 years.)

"oh the gathering snow ball argument how could i defend against it? They join the service to pay BACK the money the state invested into them remember the: No free lunch rule?"

{It's a fictional world though}

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 06:53:00 pm »

"Yes, but they can pay that money back in other ways. Science, construction, all sorts of things. Why limit it to just the military?"

(That was OOC. Just something I wanted to make sure you knew.)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 06:57:22 pm »

"Yes, but they can pay that money back in other ways. Science, construction, all sorts of things. Why limit it to just the military?"

(That was OOC. Just something I wanted to make sure you knew.)
{Well yeah lol}

"I'm wary of making them scientist seeing how research doesn't always pay back in monetary ways. With construction...bricklaying after school or maybe pulling weeds out of country farms? Slave work and were trying to make sure our military is properly staffed. At 10% we may need to start cut-backs on room and board as well as rationed food. The conscription would mean less pay for the individual BUT that money can be used to give better housing and food for the soldiers."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 06:59:21 pm »

"It's not moral says the scientist who cares nothing for anything in this world but research and results. War is horrible indeed gentleman but we are part of an assembly of human, we are NOT part of Zeus court of godly powers. The protection of our people and making sure that in these 4 years our military is more than just glorified border watch is of the utmost importance. Have we not seen so many bloody wars in the past {this is the dark ages remember this OOC and IC}? Tarmavsol a jewel that i want to keep shining in this darkness for I believe we will be the model nation that will take humanity out of this fog of fires and darkness. Also not that I'm saying this to scare anyone but those rebels could spill to our side of the border for protection should the war turn sour for them. We must be careful they're not going to bandit our private sectors while were putting funds to work in them."
"We already have sufficient forces to safeguard our borders. And you call this nation a jewel, thus why do you insist on taking actions that would turn it into a worthless lump of rock? And I feel I should remind you that we do not have a private sector, though this is precisely what makes our nation such a priceless gem in the first place. And for expansion, we do not need to undertake military action as all we need to do is colonise any unclaimed land by building a few eden stations."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 07:00:54 pm »

"You know what, fine. I will concede this issue, with one condition. The kids can choose another profession if they show skill in it, but will have to pay back what was spent on them."

(Look, I will concede that the sky is blue if you concede that everything you have ever said is wrong  :P)
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 07:01:06 pm »

"It's not moral says the scientist who cares nothing for anything in this world but research and results. War is horrible indeed gentleman but we are part of an assembly of human, we are NOT part of Zeus court of godly powers. The protection of our people and making sure that in these 4 years our military is more than just glorified border watch is of the utmost importance. Have we not seen so many bloody wars in the past {this is the dark ages remember this OOC and IC}? Tarmavsol a jewel that i want to keep shining in this darkness for I believe we will be the model nation that will take humanity out of this fog of fires and darkness. Also not that I'm saying this to scare anyone but those rebels could spill to our side of the border for protection should the war turn sour for them. We must be careful they're not going to bandit our private sectors while were putting funds to work in them."
"We already have sufficient forces to safeguard our borders. And you call this nation a jewel, thus why do you insist on taking actions that would turn it into a worthless lump of rock? And I feel I should remind you that we do not have a private sector, though this is precisely what makes our nation such a priceless gem in the first place. And for expansion, we do not need to undertake military action as all we need to do is colonise any unclaimed land by building a few eden stations."

{time out is the age of discovery? or is this the future age full of war? im lost...}

{BTW we don't have our tile set ready but i was banking on their being SOME private sector lol.}

"I did not say that!" Captain Raul is about to tear up the money man..

"Having our forces properly maintained will NOT stop expansion or the industrial sector whatsoever little chairman. Honestly where is your logic in trying to stop my bill saying it'll hurt your bill when the two have NOTHING to correlate with each other? If the military needs to use some of this 10% of the budget your giving us then by god will use some of it to start the initiative. I am not trying to nationalize anything.

{also playergamer YES. BTW in cuba my dad said when he was conscripted they put him to work in driving a tractor..really that's the ONLY way conscription can be helpful to a government but FDR's CCC is another way.}
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:21:17 pm by 3man75 »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 07:06:41 pm »

"Mr. Ross, while I am sure your intentions are good, there is no need for conscription. We are not here to wage war, we simply need enough soldiers to reclaim our Eden Substation, not the annexation of the United Federation. Nothing short of a full-war requires the necessity of conscription. If you remember the last usages of conscription, then surely you remember the accompanying riots and rise of partisan militias? And simply forcing a person into a military program without their consent is unethical, as that's the method our Communist and Dictatorial neighbors prefer to use. Besides, you're vastly overestimating the amount of unwanted children if you think that their total numbers would be enough to form a regular army.

I propose that our budget consist of: 35% Research and Education, as they are the foundations of a progressive society, 25% on Industry and Economy, 25% on Social Services, and 15% Military. Mr. John Doe, I'd like you to note that Veteran Services and Military Family Aid are covered under Social Services, not Military, which is concerned with the current Military complex itself. We need a moderate, efficient army, not a large sea of cannon fodder."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:01:56 am by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 11:56:03 am »

"Mr. Ross, while I am sure your intentions are good, there is no need for conscription. We are not here to wage war, we simply need enough soldiers to reclaim our Eden Substation, not the annexation of the United Federation. Nothing short of a full-war requires the necessity of conscription. If you remember the last usages of conscription, then surely you remember the accompanying riots and rise of partisan militias? And simply forcing a person into a military program without their consent is unethical, as that's the method our Communist and Dictatorial neighbors prefer to use. Besides, you're vastly overestimating the amount of unwanted children if you think that their total numbers would be enough to form a regular army.

I propose that our budget consist of: 35% Research and Education, as they are the foundations of a progressive society, 25% on Industry and Economy, 25% on Social Services, and 15% Military. Mr. John Doe, I'd like you to note that Veteran Services and Military Family Aid are covered under Social Services, not Military, which is concerned with the current Military complex itself. We need a moderate, efficient army, not a large sea of cannon fodder."

"I am aware of that, Ms. Walker. I just want to make sure the men putting their lives on the line have a chance. At the same time, I do understand that we are not in urgent need of modernization at this moment, so I feel this budget plan is, at the very least, acceptable."

((Posted on iPad, because spacebar is broken.))
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:58:34 am by Playergamer »
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 01:19:39 pm »

"Mr. Ross? First off it's Mr. Toss if your trying to be civil then don't your obvious mistake is apparent to us all. An what is it with you dunces thinking i want to start up a Full blown war or reclaiming a station that is firmly in our country? As for forcing people into service i'd like to remind you that hypothetically the children would be put INTO the care knowing full well what will happen, no smoke or fancy mirrors will be used.

I would ask the more knowing assembly members to please listen before commenting or bashing me or the proposal. Remember this is an investment for future manpower on the field as it will take time for the children to grow and be readily adults. In a way this IS a social service also."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:39:11 pm by 3man75 »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 12:14:15 am »

"Mr...Toss?" Walker looks down at her desk. "My apologies, someone wrote your name down with a spelling error. Anyways, I can't accept your plan. If you want to set up a government run orphanage program that would be one thing, but we can't force children into positions for the future just because we would like them to. What if we decided to conscript these children into forced research or industrial jobs when they hit 18? How would that make you feel? Suppose they don't want to go into the military, or they're not fit too. It's silly to assume that every unwanted child is best to be a soldier, when many will have their skills honed in other areas. Also, unwanted children are a small percentage of the total child population, much less than a standard army would require. In the end, this New Warrior program would cost much more than it would be worth.

I try to remain civil, because it shares a route with civilization, not with barbarism or chaos. We are a group of prestigious individuals who are here to decide national issues, not mere hooligans. I would ask that you refrain from insults Mr. Toss, as these "dunces", despite having our differences, all worked to get to office. Maybe it was easier for you, but not all of us had the welfare of Nepotism to get us here."   
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 09:13:08 am »

"Mr...Toss?" Walker looks down at her desk. "My apologies, someone wrote your name down with a spelling error. Anyways, I can't accept your plan. If you want to set up a government run orphanage program that would be one thing, but we can't force children into positions for the future just because we would like them to. What if we decided to conscript these children into forced research or industrial jobs when they hit 18? How would that make you feel? Suppose they don't want to go into the military, or they're not fit too. It's silly to assume that every unwanted child is best to be a soldier, when many will have their skills honed in other areas. Also, unwanted children are a small percentage of the total child population, much less than a standard army would require. In the end, this New Warrior program would cost much more than it would be worth.

I try to remain civil, because it shares a route with civilization, not with barbarism or chaos. We are a group of prestigious individuals who are here to decide national issues, not mere hooligans. I would ask that you refrain from insults Mr. Toss, as these "dunces", despite having our differences, all worked to get to office. Maybe it was easier for you, but not all of us had the welfare of Nepotism to get us here."   

"You call this circle prestigious and you didn't even review those who would come in attendance? Then you tell me "someone wrote your name down with a spelling error"? An just to add insult..you say i'm here because of someone's good graces?" *Raul is not amused*

"Going forward i wish we all KNOW each others names by either reading or asking before hand to avoid the welfare queens mistake. In 10% the military budget would be strained even on border patrol, which is why i asked to create the new warrior project to off set the numbers a bit not create a standard army. I Don't understand miss, when i said children "not fit" for military service being shipped to standard orphanages and godparents did you get the idea that they'd be forced. Tell me did your teachers feel it normal when you passed class while not listening? I'll make sure you understand EVERY detail of EVERY plan this assembly see's or may my death bed early."

"Tell me however, how social service will keep our nation strong though *he sits back waiting* i'd like to hear more about putting the unemployed to work rather than giving them money so they don't starve. Even with your added 5% to the military from the Chairman's plans i find it hard to give you my support when i don't know a THING about the social services in this country."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 09:22:20 am »

"Pensions, unemployment, wards of the state, healthcare, a tiny bit of education, state housing, I'd assume. Anything else?"

(That last comment is aimed at Ms. Walker.)
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 10:22:21 am »

"You call this circle prestigious and you didn't even review those who would come in attendance? Then you tell me "someone wrote your name down with a spelling error"? An just to add insult..you say i'm here because of someone's good graces?" *Raul is not amused*

"Going forward i wish we all KNOW each others names by either reading or asking before hand to avoid the welfare queens mistake. In 10% the military budget would be strained even on border patrol, which is why i asked to create the new warrior project to off set the numbers a bit not create a standard army. I Don't understand miss, when i said children "not fit" for military service being shipped to standard orphanages and godparents did you get the idea that they'd be forced. Tell me did your teachers feel it normal when you passed class while not listening? I'll make sure you understand EVERY detail of EVERY plan this assembly see's or may my death bed early."

"Tell me however, how social service will keep our nation strong though *he sits back waiting* i'd like to hear more about putting the unemployed to work rather than giving them money so they don't starve. Even with your added 5% to the military from the Chairman's plans i find it hard to give you my support when i don't know a THING about the social services in this country."

"It's not an insult, but your family has strong internal ties with the military, does it not? Just pointing that fact out. And I apologized for that error already, it's the first time this assembly has conferred. Perhaps you're aides were in a hurry? Nevermind these spelling mistakes.
As for your revision, I can't recall you saying anything about that earlier, nor can I see it in the feed. Are you finished with your conscription initiative? If you're so confident in it, why not put it up to a vote? We are a Republic after all.

Social Services have reinforced this nation ever since they're implementation. The unemployment program helps get people jobs, not loaf around. I can see that being a member of the aristocracy meant that you never had to deal with unemployment or poverty, but for those that have, they know what it's like to live and have to fill out an extensive legal document to prove that they're continuing their search for work just to be able to eat and pay the rent for the next month. Anyone here who has ever been unemployed in-between jobs knows what I speak of. The amount of jobs created and sustained in this nation have seen an exponential increase ever since the implementation of these programs. If you don't know a thing about social services, I suggest you read up on current laws and legislation, like the rest of us have done.
If you think I eased through classes, please, speak to any of my teachers and get their word on my comprehensive Ph.D dissertations and how I "didn't listen" when I was writing it up. You are aware of how a dissertation works, Mr. Toss?"

"Pensions, unemployment, wards of the state, healthcare, a tiny bit of education, state housing, I'd assume. Anything else?"

"Can you elaborate more on each subject you'd like to hear about? They're all too deep and complex to explain as whole concepts in one sitting."

Walker clears his throat.

"Now, I've begun working on a few initiatives of my own, and would like to hear feedback from the assembly on them. These include:"

Discrimination Act - No public or private employer can discriminate against in employee on basis of sex, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation and/or identification. This includes all Research, Industrial, and Military programs.
"This is only right for these people seeking a jobs. In addition to equality, we'd be able to create more jobs for the economy, and could pursue unethical businesses.

Military Gender Equality Act - Men and women both able to enter any branch of the Military that they qualify for, including special forces.
"Women have proved themselves to be as a capable as any other soldier in the battlefield. It is only right to let them serve in the armed forces in any manner equal to a man. From a military perspective, this would increase force numbers far more than the hypothetical New Warrior initiative, if one simply looks at statistics comparing women trying to apply for military positions compared to the number of abandoned and unwanted children."

Marriage Equality Act - Same-sex Marriages are given the same status and rights as Opposite-sex Marriages.
"I don't have much to say on this, unless there's any opposition."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 10:35:14 am »

John whistles

"Ms. Walker, I agree on all fronts, but I feel number 3 may be a little controversial for a first vote. I am not opposed to any of those, and I will vote yes to all, but I'm worried you might be sticking your hand in a hornets nest. As for number two, the requirements to qualify for those positions are the same for all genders, correct?"

Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 10:37:32 am »

"Now, miss Walker, I would say that we already have legislation that already covers your proposals, thereby rendering them redundant."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8