Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artificial map wide lakes and invasions + traders  (Read 830 times)

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artificial map wide lakes and invasions + traders
« on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:44 pm »

I was thinking about creating a fortress that is partly submerged and built in the middle of a big lake, with towers and walls raising straight from the water, maybe a bit like the Twins in Game of Thrones. I planned to do this by creating obsidian walls on the egde tiles of the map and then flooding all the middle tiles.

However, would walling off the edges of the map like this disable invaders and traders? Even if you build a 1x1 floor on every edge tile that will be on top of the obsidian wall and a 3x3 road on one spot to allow the traders come in?

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artificial map wide lakes and invasions + traders
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:41:33 pm »

In my experimenting. No it wont stop them. Theyll just spawn outsde the wall. Though wagons will show up on the 3 wide road. Actually ill often later on build a walled in road out to the edge and force wagons to spawn where i want them.

On the note of lakes. Your best bet would be starting anywhere with a river. Diverting the river with a cavein or pumps. Channel down. Carve your fort a bit. Then release the river to fill in the new lake.

You could cast and drop portions of a fort made from obsidian into a lake. But youll probably burn yourself out with tedium trying to do that a lot.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:33:07 pm »

I was thinking about creating a fortress that is partly submerged and built in the middle of a big lake, with towers and walls raising straight from the water, maybe a bit like the Twins in Game of Thrones. I planned to do this by creating obsidian walls on the egde tiles of the map and then flooding all the middle tiles.

However, would walling off the edges of the map like this disable invaders and traders? Even if you build a 1x1 floor on every edge tile that will be on top of the obsidian wall and a 3x3 road on one spot to allow the traders come in?
As long as there are floor tiles on the edges they'll arrive.

I also find it funny that you're building a Dwarf Fortress based off of a fictional fortified bridge based off of real fortified bridge.
When you say London Bridge, you don't think of London Bridge - you think of Tower Bridge:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which is what the Twins are based off of. I do think they look a lot nicer than the twins anyways:
The Twins in GoT are a bit miserable and puny compared to Tower Bridge.

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:54:05 pm »

As long as there are floor tiles on the edges they'll arrive.

I also find it funny that you're building a Dwarf Fortress based off of a fictional fortified bridge based off of real fortified bridge.
When you say London Bridge, you don't think of London Bridge - you think of Tower Bridge:
Which is what the Twins are based off of. I do think they look a lot nicer than the twins anyways:
The Twins in GoT are a bit miserable and puny compared to Tower Bridge.

Never realized that! Yes the bridge looks pretty awesome. Although My current fort is more like a normal castle with the outer walls raising from the lake and then an inner magma moat and behind that the main castle with raising bridges connecting the towers of the outer and inner walls...and one huge gatehouse and a sniper zone couryard trapped so the enemies will fall in the magma moat.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:57:03 pm by juxari »

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 05:56:36 am »

The Twins/Tower Bridge layout is quite fantastic for someone like me who usualy dont bother making a military until everything else is running. As long as you're not in a freezing biome, the gobbos can only siege half of your fortress so they dont stop trade, woodcuting and hunting for an entire year every year.

Also, did you plan making millions of children to look like a true Frey fortress ?

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:49:55 am »

The Twins/Tower Bridge layout is quite fantastic for someone like me who usualy dont bother making a military until everything else is running. As long as you're not in a freezing biome, the gobbos can only siege half of your fortress so they dont stop trade, woodcuting and hunting for an entire year every year.

Also, did you plan making millions of children to look like a true Frey fortress ?

What if you get two sieges and from different civilizations? They might invade from opposite directions and that might disable trade? I usually like to declare war on elves and humans at some point.

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:14:46 pm »

Easy, build a drawbrigde outside of your fort and watch them kill each other.

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 03:40:02 pm »

I think I'm going to build something like the twins next...two huge gatehouse towers on the opposing sides of a lake and castle in the middle.