Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dead Island: Epidemic  (Read 2969 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dead Island: Epidemic
« on: April 16, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »

So yeah. This is a thing.

I have done no research thus far, but I was provided with four beta gifts on Steam. I have claimed one. The remaining three go to the next three people who post their most- and least-favorite parts of the previous two Dead Island games (one like and dislike total, not one per game).

Have you ever wanted to play a MOBA but there just aren't enough members of the undead? Yeah, me neither. Yet, here we are.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Island: Epidemic
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:55:54 pm »

That certainly is a thing. The original dead island was free on 360 a few months ago, so I've played through it with a friend. It's such a glitchy mess at times, but so much fun. My favorite part was throwing weapons. Emptying your entire inventory into a thug to then have to run up and pluck the various knives out of it like stealing the fur from a bear, a single strand at a time. My least favorite part is a spoiler for the original, but at this point I don't think anyone truly cares about the story. It just made me mad when, just before the final boss fight, the protagonists forget that they have guns, and just kind of sit there and watch Jin get shot in the neck.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:57:34 pm »

Best part? The fighting probably. It was enjoyable. Worst part was the characters. They were all stereotypes and I hated all of them. This could potentially be interesting.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 05:58:35 pm »

The best part was the some of the inventive crafting, the worst was the fact that the guns sucked against the undead which made them semi useful.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:12:12 pm »

I had the most fun with the throwing weapons guy, and getting boomerang procs on the knife that made zombies heads explode instantly.  Fun times were had.

Oh yeah, glitches were rampant, but that's fun to me so, whatever.  However getting stuck in a tiny little area because somebody parked a truck just right was much less fun.  It did give us a chance to explore outside of the map and become mountain goats though, so that was fun. :P

Thoughts on the MOBA thing though:  Why?  It's not going to beat out DotA or League at this point, it might be fun for a couple of minutes but no one's going to stay with it long enough for it to be a giant thing.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »

Hm... Looking through the steam page for this, I wouldn't really call it a MOBA (and I refuse to call it a ZOMBA, because that's far too close to zumba). It's probably a bit more comparable to Wizard Wars from what I've seen of that game, and I'm not really sure what to classify them as. Overhead Rumblers?
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:18:08 pm »

What I think will be interesting is having a 4v4v4 format. How well will it work? I do not know.  ::)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 06:23:32 pm »

What I think will be interesting is having a 4v4v4 format. How well will it work? I do not know.  ::)
If the original game was anything to go by it would be "Peaceful" Humans, Bandits, and the the Zombonoes.

Probably a sort of triangle map with massive clashes in the mid and two lanes that send troops at the other two teams.  It'd actually be pretty fun in theory (I think there was a Wc3 map back in the day that tried it), but is actually pretty lame in practice.

EDIT:  I'm being really negative and pessimistic towards this, I realize, but hey if it's actually a fun game I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 06:49:50 pm »

Choppy, werty, and coolio get it, if they want. Steam seems to be down at the moment (for me, at least, and apparently a lot of others), but I seem to recall that I'm already friends with Choppy (and maybe werty). If we're not friends, go ahead and add me.

I'm just about a complete noob when it comes to this genre, whatever it is. I can find enjoyment in just about anything as long as it's not absolutely horrid, however.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:14:23 am by Mephisto »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 06:59:35 pm »

Well guns in the original DI were weak against zombies because they wanted you to fight them in melee.
Guns were for killing human enemies... and humans could get headshotted and killed with one bullet.

Then again it would probably be a good idea to give Purna a skill that makes guns useful against zombies.

As doe Epidemic... i'm not big into mobas but it might be an interesting change... after all we didn't have a zombie moba yet.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »

If the original game was anything to go by it would be "Peaceful" Humans, Bandits, and the the Zombonoes.

Probably a sort of triangle map with massive clashes in the mid and two lanes that send troops at the other two teams.  It'd actually be pretty fun in theory (I think there was a Wc3 map back in the day that tried it), but is actually pretty lame in practice.

EDIT:  I'm being really negative and pessimistic towards this, I realize, but hey if it's actually a fun game I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I'm pretty sure that there are a couple maps available (again, going by the somewhat limited info on the steam page). Hopefully at least one of them would be well designed.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 08:11:15 pm »

There are two modes so far, Scavenger and Horde. Scavenger seems to be about capturing control points to gain supplies and then maybe lugging said supplies back to your base. Hoard looks to be PvE, with all of the players fighting against hordes of undead.

There don't seem to be factions. There are different types of characters (normal, armored, and infected), but the story such that it is says that those are good infected. I'm assuming right now as I haven't played an online game yet, but it feels like it may be going the "all sides have access to all characters" route a la Awesomenauts, Smite, etc.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 03:16:25 pm »

I foolishly hopped straight into the pop mode as a tier1, so I didn't even have access to my ultimate. If that wasn't bad enough, one of my team's players failed to load (beta is beta), so we got absolutely hammered. Afterwards, I decided I'll be sticking to pve until I level up some more.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:37 pm »

I take it you're not supposed to start with three normal heroes at level 10 and enough points to buy every other hero with ~2k left over?

Because I did.

Then I started up the game today. I had the same amount of points that I ended with yesterday, but lost all of my rank 6 weapons and every character but Berg.

Just looked at the official forum. Would have been nice to have gotten at least a partial refund on points.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:36:09 pm by Mephisto »

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 10:39:10 pm »

I thought I'd leave this here. Apparently you can get a beta key from gamespot. There giving them away. It seems legit enough. Well, it worked for me anyways.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dead-island-epidemic-pc-beta-code-giveaway/1100-6419062/
Pages: [1] 2