Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need help finding this!!!  (Read 1413 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need help finding this!!!
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:52:30 pm »

Hey guys! I've badly been craving a game similar to one of my childhood favorites: Black and white 1, Black and white 2.

It was a game where you assumed to be a god, and you looked over/managed your villagers while competing against other gods. (And you had a cool pet!)

The closest game I found to its abstract ness was some African American themed tribe game on steam which was kinda fun, but didn't have as much management over society I would have liked.

Can you guys help me fulfill the need to feed my much starved God complex by recommending, some similar sounding titles? I've honestly been waiting for EA to do something with it since they bought out lionhead, but the fable series stamped out its knowledge of existence imo. (And some stupid licensing issues.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding this!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:01:56 pm »

Black and white 1 and 2 were awesome. Nothing has come out since as epic as them or any good. Not that I know of.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:22:39 pm »

Black and white 1 and 2 were awesome. Nothing has come out since as epic as them or any good. Not that I know of.

Please don't say that! Haha. I've been trying to tell myself that something MUST be out there, have 'Faith'...hehe

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:42:13 pm »

Reus?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:06:05 pm »

I didn't think that Black and White was awesome or epic, or even worth buying, but that might have had something to do with Molyneux's hype prior to release vastly outshining the actual game...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:06:48 pm »

Populus 3 i guess nothing else comes really close to Black & White.

Optionally you can try quenching your god complex by playing Sim City 4 (probably the best one in the series) other than that there's not really much to pick from...
Maybe Majesty 1 and 2 but that's a LOOOOONG stretch.

I didn't think that Black and White was awesome or epic, or even worth buying, but that might have had something to do with Molyneux's hype prior to release vastly outshining the actual game...

Well it WAS original and new for its time (and even now since noone really made a game like this) ... and had the british humour Fable was known for so it was an ok game in my book
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:09:46 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:22:53 pm »

Dominions 4. It may not be the free-flowing 3d click fest that was B&W, or have the city building. It's essentially a turn-based tactical war game. But it definitely makes you feel like a god, and has some of the best flavor for an RPG that I've seen.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »

Thanks guys for recommending Reus, Populous, and Dominions.

Rues: seems like fun, but seems too formulaic in approach as well. For instance, do this with that land, and poof, this will indeed happen. If you know, how free flowing is the actual game? Or does it generally conclude in a formulaic way as well?

Populous: I suppose it would be smart to play the game that is the prequel to the series, I am just worried at how lacking in features it would be since I had been spoiled by what followed it.

Dominions: I love strategy, and it seems really interesting! I'll look into it tonight. Are you simply trying to win as a military nation? Or is it more so spreading yourself as a belief though? Either way I'll check it out.

As far as Peter the developer goes, I am a huge fan of his, and even though I did severely enjoy black and white,  I was probably too naive to understand the hype issue you were previously stating...I understand they were attempting to release a 'glove' for the game, but the idea flopped.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 05:51:36 pm »

I once played a god game, veeeeeery old, veeeeery complicated. Never understood how it truly worked. I remember the ability to create universes and planes and planets within them. Fuckloads of races, power and traits.
I was beyond clueless when playing it, but I gave it back to the friend who lended it to me years ago and completely forgot the name of the game.
It had a striking cover art, with a cosmic blue figure holding an orb and a staff over a cosmic red background and some greco-roman city on the bottom, I think. The game's motto was something about worship out of love or fear IIRC.
I tried to find it, to no avail. Too ancient, too obscure.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 05:57:34 pm »

Are you simply trying to win as a military nation? Or is it more so spreading yourself as a belief though? Either way I'll check it out.

There are a couple paths to victory, which you can set at game start. Wiping out the belief of all your opponents (their "dominion"), capturing a certain number of provinces, capturing enough of the "Thrones of Ascension" and a few others. But yes, the game is essentially about military domination. There are no diplomacy routes or things like that you'd find in other 4x games. You're all playing "Gods", after all.

Anyways, belief in your pretender god augments the places it has sway, shifting them towards traits you chose when you created your pretender. Anything from making places more prosperous, to making them shit holes that slowly kill the population every turn and cause nothing but trouble. Your dominion also makes your pretender stronger while they're in it, makes enemy troops more fearful and weaker, along with a half dozen other things.

Bear in mind, Dom 4 is intended as a multiplayer strategy game, and that's where some of its mechanics are best expressed. Whatever suits your strategic needs. (Making lands prosperous through your dominion ultimately gives you more money and resources to carry on the war. But when your dominion spreads to enemy controlled provinces, it similarly enriches them. Likewise, making your dominion ruin all the lands it touches embraces a "scorched earth" policy that works well with some pretender/nation combinations.)

All that said, I've never played it MP and still find it very enjoyable playing large games against multiple AI opponents.

I rarely say this about any game, but Dom 4 is evocative enough that I've many times been tempted to start writing short stories based on my games. I think it that solidly defines its tone, despite the pretty archaic graphics and UI.

If you have a good imagination, the game gives you epic tons of flavor for it to latch on to. I have fun just playing "theme'd" games, forget what's most optimal. Plus there's a lot of discovery of magical sites, Pretender builds, spells, monsters, heroes and craftable magic items that, if you don't read ahead of playing the game, means you'll be discovering new things for quite a while.

Simply put, if Dominions looked like most other 4x/strategy games out there, I think it'd be held up as one of the paragons. (Nevermind that the developers have basically released the same game, improved, over 4 titles now.)

Lastly, you might have more views and therefore more suggestions if you put what you're looking for in the thread title.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:22:53 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 07:26:38 pm »

-snip-
What he said. One of the best games I've ever played.

Dom3 has free demo you can download from their website, it's mostly the same game so you get the idea what it's about.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 07:50:24 pm »

How is banished? Friend told me it was very similar to black and white without "annoying" creature.

Its on steam, don't know anything about it.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:28 pm »

Kaian; if you could find out it's name possibly that would be great! I love complexity.

As far as dominions goes I am thoroughly convinced that I should try it! Thank you for all the info :) Multiplayer makes it even more exciting, as that was a feature black and white botches frequently.

Banished seems kinda appealing, but it appears to not have the god personality I would like...the creature in my opinion was an added 'annoyance' . Banished to me seems like a, manage settlers infrastructure while balancing resources...less godly affairs

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 12:44:11 am »

Banished isn't going to scratch the god powers itch. It's a game about planning the food production for a village.I will go off on an unrelated, unfair, tangent below.

Banished is an illusion of a complex game. It draws you in under the impression of a deep game with very complicated food production and diminishing returns simulations balanced against an exploding population. However, in reality it doesn't accurately simulate the stresses on the environment in a reliable manner which means that you can not consistently make sound decisions. It keeps you playing because you are led to believe that you can crack the code and figure out the appropriate strategy based on complicated algorithms, like in real life. However, the single programmer in the end made many decisions to simplify and randomize the reactions which leads to illogical responses to logical input, which is the worst possible experience for a strategy gamer. After 40 or so hours you start to realize this but many will play on because we simply cannot believe that the game would intentionally be written that way in the face of strategy game heritage and design principles. Eventually though, everyone realizes that reason is futile with this game and they stop. For me, fun ended around 12 hours in. Compulsion carried me to 30 hours. Madness to 50 hours and then I quit. It is a very simple game that was misrepresented as deep from it's inception. It has been defended by many on blind justification that it must be very complex when it's just illogically programmed.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 02:37:43 am »

That is exactly what I feared, hemmingjay (cool name btw), so thanks for clarifying that. I went ahead and bought dominions 4...but I don't really feel like a god, I feel like a commander with a glorified unit that wants to become a god haha
Pages: [1] 2