Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Mephansteras' Board Game Designs thread  (Read 7771 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Mephansteras' Board Game Designs thread
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 03:41:24 pm »

@Zanzetkuken: Sure, post it! I'm always interested in seeing other poeple's work.

Posted the instructions of how to play in this thread here so that if any discussion on it is done, then it won't clutter up this thread.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 03:51:11 pm »

Meph's right, Castle Panic is great, and a good beginner. I can also recommend Battlestar Galactica, although that might be a bit much for... *ahem* rookies. Another great beginner coop is Panic Station, which also has a betrayer. And speaking of coop games with a betrayer (I love those), there's The Resistance and Saboteur, which are really light games, the latter one especially is also well suited for kids. And you probably know Werewolves, which is the non-internet version of Mafia.
Hope this helps, let me know if there's any progress converting the heathens introducing your friends to the wonderful world of boardgames ;)

On topic: If, hypothetically, someone were to create a dungeon denizens script for you, would that be enough incentive to start the game?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 04:03:54 pm »

@EagleV: Hmmm. Maybe, maybe. It'd still have to wait a bit, though, since I don't have time right now to run more than one game. I wouldn't be opposed to someone else running a game of it, though. I could certainly help someone get all of the cards and rules and whatnot correct.

On the subject of Pax Galactica: Yeah, I really like the core idea. Haven't thought about the mechanics of the actual center board too much yet, though. That'll probably be the main stumbling block when I actually sit down to make a full game out of the idea. You want it complex enough that the players really have to think about how the cards they're playing work off of the cards everyone else is playing while keeping it from being so complex that no one could keep track of it all. And it needs to be able to end. Still, lots of potential there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 08:37:18 pm »

I love board games too, and recently I've started working on some designs.

There's Filiae Stellarum, a political war-type game set in a solar system with planets moving in their orbits at the end of each round. Players use propaganda to gain the allegiance of the people on various planets, build ships, improve the planets, and set up military dictatorships. The main problem with it is it's length - I've estimated a total game to take maybe five hours to complete. I've also never playtested with four players, which is pretty much the only player count that works. I've got some friends coming over Monday to test it though.

I'm also working on an unnamed hidden-traitor game quite similar to The Resistance, but set on a trading ship. There's a deck of cards with effects on them that modify Hull, Food and Morale levels, and in each round a hand of cards is drawn, the number of cards in the hand being the number of players +3. In a circle, players shuffle the deck, draw three, take one out and set it aside, and pass the hand to the next player. Once all players have taken a card out all remaining cards take effect. It's a traitor drafting game; loyal players want to take out damaging cards, and traitorous players want to take out the helpful ones. I haven't tested it much either, and it suffers from balance problems, but it seems like it could be good.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 10:10:14 am »

I'm also working on an unnamed hidden-traitor game quite similar to The Resistance, but set on a trading ship. There's a deck of cards with effects on them that modify Hull, Food and Morale levels, and in each round a hand of cards is drawn, the number of cards in the hand being the number of players +3. In a circle, players shuffle the deck, draw three, take one out and set it aside, and pass the hand to the next player. Once all players have taken a card out all remaining cards take effect. It's a traitor drafting game; loyal players want to take out damaging cards, and traitorous players want to take out the helpful ones. I haven't tested it much either, and it suffers from balance problems, but it seems like it could be good.

This sounds pretty interesting - I don't think I've seen traitor-games (or any others) where you have to pick the cards you don't want to happen. When you say "working on", is it a continously active project or something you return to from time to time?
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 10:28:04 am »

Well, I only started it a few weeks ago, but game designing is kind of off-and-on for me depending on inspiration and how much time I have.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 12:26:20 pm »

Sounds nifty! If you ever want someone to bounce ideas off of, let me know. While I'm far from an expert on the subject, I've gotten enough games from initial design to a stable playable state that I've figured a few things out along the way.

EDIT:

Added in Attack Run to the OP. Hopefully the rules are clear enough to make sense. It's not a complete run down of the game, but should be enough for people to figure out roughly how it is played.

Also, I ended up thinking about a bunch of ideas for Magitech Mechs over lunch today. I'm thinking it'd be fascinating to try and have the session tell an over-arching story so that you not only go through and fight bad guys or whatever but actually participate in a branching storyline. I'd really like it if the players could both succeed and fail parts of the game while still always ending with some sort of story Climax and resolution, even if it goes badly.

Unfortunately, I haven't played any games that do this, so I'm not puzzling out how I'd go about doing that without simply making a Choose Your Own Adventure style rulebook, which I don't want to do. Ideally, everything would be on the cards.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:50:03 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 11:24:31 pm »

We should do a community-designed game. DF Deckbuilding?

What I really think would be a winner is a good co-op game, but the only one I can really find of those is Arkham Horror, and that's way over the acceptable amount of hardcore.
Flash Point: Fire Rescue is one that I really enjoy.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 03:23:11 am »

We should do a community-designed game. DF Deckbuilding?
DF Deckbuilding sounds great. I'm in.
I can already see the dominion-style shenanigans...
Code: [Select]
CAT
Destroy target vermin. Whenever this card is put in your discard pile, take another CAT and put it in your discard pile.
*WHACK*

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 11:14:39 am »

Hehe. Yeah, DF Deckbuilding sounds fun!
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 01:44:26 pm »

Worked a bit more on Magitech Mechs over a dinner with some friends. Here is what we have so far:

Game is mostly card based.
  Damage counters will probably be used for enemies, and there will be Light/Dark counters to track progress in the story (although those could be cards).

Each player has a deck constructed from several Component Decks: Character, Mech Frame, Mech Weapon, and two Upgrade decks (Armor, Reactor, Movement, Specials, etc).
  There MIGHT be a pseudo playmat where the player has a card for each of these that could have a static effect.
  These decks are then used when playing the game. Each card has two sections: Combat and Non-Combat. These sections contain Symbols/Abilities that are used when the card is played to overcome the challenges the game throws at the players.

The game plays out as the players go through the story. What happens in the story is a combination of the Successes and Failures the party has combined with the major Plot cards. There are also minor events that happen throughout the game the influence how well the story is going. The Story is chosen at the start of the session, and each Story has a specific set of decks that it uses.

The game as a whole is about a group of heroes using the powerful (but rare) Magitech Mechs in the service of the country. Going for sort of a Three Musketeers vibe. The stories can range from the Players working to stop some threat to the kingdom, being involved in some great war, or even being falsely accused of being traitors and having to clear their names and uncover the true traitors.

All of the Plot Events and Certain Minor Events will give the party Light or Dark points for the Story depending on whether the party can overcome the challenge or not. Events often have different challenges or effects depending on the # or Ratio of Light/Dark points the party has when they get to them.
    For example, a particular Plot Event may have the party draw the top two cards from the Plot Deck. One is used if the party has more Light Points than Dark, otherwise the Dark card is used.
  The overall goal of the game is to complete the Story. A secondary goal would be to complete the Story with its Light Ending.
  The players could also get Status cards/chits that effect the Plot & Story cards. The Known Traitors status, for example, could mean that an Inn that is normally friendly is unusable.

Game play is as follows:
  The players draw the top two cards from the Location Deck and pick one of them. Each card will have specific instructions, which may include fighting particular enemies, drawing Story Cards, or drawing Plot cards. This lets players delay Plot points if they need to recover their strength or want to try and get more Light Points before continuing on.
  Players follow the instructions on the Location Card and any Story/Plot cards they draw because of it.
    This usually involves overcoming a challenge (or more than one) of some sort.
  Once all cards have been resolved, the players are back to drawing the next Location

The Game ends once the Plot Deck is empty or all Players have been defeated.
  Players are defeated if at any time they have nothing but Damaged/Wounded cards in their hand.
    There will need to be either some contribution defeated characters can make, or some way to bring them back to keep it fun for everyone.

Combat
  Combat is done using Cards in the Player's hands and Static Values on the enemies.
  Enemies will come either from a Story Specific encounter deck or from the Plot Deck.
  There will be three symbols used in combat. Currently defaulting to Melee, Ranged, and Magic, although that may change.
  It is a Pseudo Rock/Paper/Scissors set-up. Melee beats Magic, Magic beats Ranged, Ranged beats Melee.
    However, it's not that deterministic. Melee beats Magic 1-1, Melee 2-1, and Ranged 3-1. So the players CAN win against Ranged with Melee, they just need a LOT more symbols to do so.
    The system is designed so that everyone can always be useful, but also to encourage Chains and Boosts of other players.
  Players have a Turn Order, which they can change as their Action for the Turn. Turn Order determines both when each player goes as well as who the enemies target.
    For example, one enemy might target whoever has Turn Order #1, while another might target whoever is Last in Turn order.

That's about it, so far. Thoughts?
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 03:33:04 pm »

More work on Magitech Mechs

I've come up with a complete sample deck. This includes Character, Frame, Weapon, and two Augment decks. This is designed to be sort of the 'canon' set-up for the Captain character.

Captain, in the Centurion Frame, Wielding the Ancestral Sword, and Augmented with the Sapphire Reactor Upgrade and Defensive Field

DeckCardBattle EffectEvent EffectNumber
CaptainTargetingRanged Attack 1Work 11
CaptainParryMelee Defense 1Diplomacy 11
CaptainResistMagic Defense 1Wealth 11
CaptainDraw FireDefend OR Ranged Defense 1Work 11
CaptainFeintMelee Attack Boost +1Wealth 11
CaptainFlareMagic Attack 2Work/Wealth 11
CaptainElectric SurgeMelee/Magic Attack Boost +1Wealth 21
CaptainFormationMelee Defense Boost ALL +1Diplomacy 21
CaptainChargeMelee Attack 3Diplomacy 31
CaptainTacticsDiscard 1 Draw 1 ALLDiscard 1 Draw 1 ALL1
CenturionPower SurgeDraw 2 CardsDraw 2 Cards1
CenturionResistMagic Defense 1Wealth 11
CenturionSide StepRanged Defense 1Work 11
CenturionFeintMelee Attack Boost +1Wealth 11
CenturionArmorDiscard 1 Damaged Card Draw 1 OR Melee Defense 1Diplomacy 11
CenturionSlamMelee Attack 1 AND Chain StartDiplomacy 21
CenturionBlockMelee Defense 2Wealth 21
CenturionDefensive ScreenMagic/Melee Defense Boost 1Wealth 21
CenturionSquad LinkDraw 1 Card ALL (+1 Card Self)Draw 1 Card ALL (+1 Card Self)2
Ancestral SwordSlashMelee Attack 1Diplomacy 12
Ancestral SwordFeintMelee Attack Boost +1Wealth 12
Ancestral SwordParryMelee Defense 1Diplomacy 11
Ancestral SwordStabMelee Attack 2Diplomacy 21
Ancestral SwordBlockMelee Defense 2Wealth 21
Ancestral SwordGuiding SpiritMelee/Range Defense Boost +1Diplomacy 21
Ancestral SwordDisarmMelee Defense 3Wealth 31
Ancestral SwordSweeping StrikeMelee Attack 3Diplomacy 31
Sapphire Reactor UpgradePower SurgeDraw 2 CardsDraw 2 Cards2
Sapphire Reactor UpgradePower FocusDiscard Deck and ReshuffleDiscard Deck and Reshuffle1
Sapphire Reactor UpgradePower ArcDraw 2 Cards (ANY)Draw 2 Cards (ANY)1
Sapphire Reactor UpgradeLink EnchancementSearch Discard for 1 Card and put it in your handSearch Discard for 1 Card and put it in your hand1
Defensive FieldPinpoint ShieldMelee Defense Boost +1Diplomacy 1
Defensive FieldShimmering VeilRanged Defense Boost +1Work 1
Defensive FieldMagic DampenersMagic Defense Boost +1Wealth 1
Defensive FieldEnergy ShieldRanged/Magic Defense Boost +1Work/Wealth +1
Defensive FieldForce BarrierMelee/Ranged/Magic Defense Boost +1Diplomacy/Work/Wealth +1

Attack cards are used to Initiate an Attack. Multiple cards can be played, but they must all have the same type (Melee/Range/Magic)
Attack Boosts are played during an Attack, and also have to be of the same type as the attack. Can be played on yourself or another player.
Defense cards are used to prevent damage from an attacker, and work the same as Attack cards otherwise.
Defense Boosts work the same as Attack Boosts, but for defense.
Defend allows you to redirect an attack to yourself instead of an ally
Chains - Chains are special combos where multiple players can get increasing effects by adding to the Chain. Chains are always on Attack cards, and can be Start, Continue, End, or Any. When a Chain Start is played any character after the character who started the chain can Continue or End the chain with their Attack Action. ANY can be used for any part of a chain.
Cards with multiple types (Like Melee/Magic or Work/Wealth) can be used for Either effect, but not both at the same time.

Stats on this particular combination:
8 Attacks
5 Attack Boosts
10 Defense
8 Defense Boosts
1 Defend
9 Card Draws

As you can see, it is generally quite defensive overall. It also has a lot of Boosts and Card Draw effects, which makes it a fairly versatile deck. The effect ALL cards are also quite useful, especially in larger parties.
Come play Mafia with us!

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 10:26:51 am »

I am a longtime lover of boardgames and always wanted to make one. Just like you I have a list of game concepts that I want to make, but I am too lazy to type it out and put it here.
I was reading through your list and saw Lords and Merchants, I've had a similar idea for quite a while now. I am currently designing a system that would make the markets of the different town and regions change over time trough influences from events and outside forces along with the economic decisions of both the lords, kings, etc., and of the merchants (what they sell and how much of it)
I am also exploring the idea of having objectives and overarching plots/events that affect the gameworld for all the players.
I also have a pretty good (in my opinion) fluff/setting for the game.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 11:13:05 am »

Cool.

I haven't designed that game out all that much, but one consideration I've had is that you have to be careful not to make it too fiddly. With so much going on you don't want to bog the game down too much with minutia between turns.

One way I had for markets was to simply have boxes for the goods with prices depending on the box. So if there were, say, 6 in stock the item would only cost 1g whereas the same item with only 2 in stock might cost 3g. That way the players only need to worry about how much is in each market to figure out the costs, rather than something more complicated.

How were you handling that?
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:17 am »

Shouldn't you be on a honeymoon right now instead of talking to us nerds?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5