Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

ASCII Images?

Yes
- 14 (66.7%)
No
- 4 (19%)
I have a better alternative in mind (please comment!)
- 1 (4.8%)
What?
- 2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Souls: Interactive Community Adventure: DEX BUILDS FOR LIFE  (Read 130616 times)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: Dwarf Souls: Interactive Community Adventure: FIRST BOSS
« Reply #270 on: May 13, 2014, 06:29:14 pm »

The shield is not the best, considering he just stabbed through solid stone. But he doesn't really seem that bright, tripping him should work.

Also, throwing the shield and stabbing him once could be enough to kill him, but probably not.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:31:28 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 14, 2014, 12:06:25 am »

Check the wound. Did it reach your guts? If did, get into martial trance and fight him face to face. If not, thank gods and perform a maneuver with the second pillar. Look out for Bossknights sword!
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2014, 01:10:53 am »

I'm kinda partial to the 'kite him into the chandelier' plan now. It's crazy enough that it might work- Boss knight is a comedic character after all.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2014, 09:05:52 am »

I wouldn't try the pillar again, I really doubt he's stupid enough not to just go around it this time.

The chandelier sounds good, provided WE don't get caught in the trap. Also: Don't forget that in Dark Souls even the flimsiest buckler can block damage from the largest attacks, dunno how it works in this game though.

If possible, we should probably aim for his left leg now. Maybe right leg? With right leg, he'd automatically try to keep himself upright with his right arm, leaving him defenseless. With left leg he's definitely on the ground, but might still attack.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2014, 09:53:21 am »

If he's jumping around then yeah, we'll have to aim for his legs to disable him. If he gets caught in the chandelier though, I maintain we should aim for the weak spot in his right arm. Needs more testing before we know if armor isn't as effective as in DF, the last attack was a BS & therefore super-effective.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2014, 10:04:43 am »

The chandelier sounds good, provided WE don't get caught in the trap. Also: Don't forget that in Dark Souls even the flimsiest buckler can block damage from the largest attacks, dunno how it works in this game though.
Bear in mind the properties of shields in DF as well
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 14, 2014, 11:32:53 am »

Hmm.  In DF, the flimsiest shield can block damage from the largest attack too, can't it?  It's been a while since I played Adventure Mode, to be honest.
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2014, 12:30:43 pm »

In DF a shield can block basically anything, from swords to dragonfire. I wonder if they can block ballista bolts?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2014, 01:06:52 pm »

Bear in mind the properties of shields in DF as well

In other words: We use that damn shield! Also move to the chandelier, but keep the shield up. Hopefully it won't slow us down too much.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 15, 2014, 07:07:19 am »

While shields in DF can handle just about anything you throw at them, shields in Dark Souls have a Stability attribute; this is essential for a critical combat mechanic tied to blocking, and that is your stamina. Bigger, Sturdier shields have higher stability, and a higher stability will cause less stamina drain when you block an attack. If you try to block a really nasty attack with a small shield, you can get stunned. Additionally, shields in DS have various kinds of damage reduction; the most important one being Physical Reduction. Most shields have a physical reduction of 100%, but some (namely low-quality / non-metal) shields don't- so even if you do block with one of those, you'll take damage.

It is worth noting, then, that our shield is made of wood. While it's better than nothing, we probably don't want to intentionally try to tank hits with that thing. DF shield properties will definitely give us an edge, but that guy did just plunge his sword straight through solid rock. I'm in favor of making him dance his way over the chandelier if he wants to come at us.
This space for rent

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2014, 07:38:54 am »

In  that case we need to parry an attack rather than blocking.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2014, 11:24:32 am »

Hugo /did/ say that most shields are 100% physical blocking, but the stamina drain would probably stagger us &/or fling us back. I'm also inclined to lump boss knight in with the 'unparryable humans' category, but that may just be his new similarity to Artorias talking.
It's worth a shot if we're looking at a 'hail mary' moment.

Relevant!
Spoiler: Ashen Shield (click to show/hide)
Note: shield percentages affect how much the shield resists degradation more than how much it blocks, though some things are weird.

So it'll probably break before it lets damage through.
I'm guessing if he attacks and we block, (and aren't flung away by stamina damage), the shield'll go down to 38 condition. The next hit would break the shield but be softened by 45pts, (38/.85 (dmg reduction)).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:34:02 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2014, 11:31:56 am »

Lets plant our pick in the back of his neck before he gets up.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 22, 2014, 09:30:00 pm »

Sorry for lack of update this week. A research paper is taking up increasing amounts of my time, but I think I can pull off an update this weekend. I don't think there were enough actions to necessitate a poll, so I might be able to draw it tomorrow.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #284 on: May 22, 2014, 09:32:24 pm »

S'cool. Geez I should update my own threads..
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37