Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scorching Desert Embark  (Read 2996 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Scorching Desert Embark
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:01:43 pm »

Okay, so I took up a scorching desert embark.  My first embark, in fact, where I lost a dwarve in the first season to melting.  which prompts serious questions on heat.

So, with the ambient temperature being so high, is 'underground' safe despite the 'hot' meeting area designation?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I believe I set worldgen to vary between -100 and 300 degrees.

So, Will they melt under the mountain of sand?  How to stop this?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
Re: Scorching Desert Embark
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 03:25:43 pm »

Nah, I think they'll probably be fine once underground.

Any migrants that arrive... not so much.
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:33:04 pm »

In the unlikely event that it's hot enough to burn, order Migrants to get naked - it could buy them enough time to reach the Fort in safety. This worked for people who embarked on my maps where it was hot enough to vaporize metal.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:07:30 pm »

In the unlikely event that it's hot enough to burn, order Migrants to get naked - it could buy them enough time to reach the Fort in safety. This worked for people who embarked on my maps where it was hot enough to vaporize metal.

I find the idea of forceing migrants to have a streaker party on the way in from the map edge rather amuseing :P  I tend to just build access tunnles along the map edge with entrances every 10 tiles or so if I'm embarked in a hostile area and want to get migrants inside.  Each entrance can be sealed individualy from a remote location and I just open the ones closest to where the migrants arive asumeing there is no zombie hord standing on top of it.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:14:37 pm »

That's a pretty good way to get rid of elves. I was going to say goblins, but at the last minute I remembered that this was the Dwarf Fortress Forums and something kicked in.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 10:39:30 am »

Aye, thank ya'll.
So pros and cons

Pros:

-Almost no wildlife.
-A generous sand layer on the mountain, and an aqueduct I literally dug under.
-No reason to go outside.
-4 of 6 children migrants I got wave 1 melted.

Cons:
-Crap outside.
-Melted two of my seven year 1.
-I wasn't prepared for this.
-ennh.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 04:47:41 pm »

Yes, underground seems to be safe, even just one layer underground (with only the ceiling above you). I can't guarantee safe forever just beneath the surface, but it is a dramatic difference, and certainly a few layers below is always safe forever.

I just made a world with 1000 temperature, which if I understand the way the worldgen parameter works, is hotter than magma? Anyway it was so hot that I had to mod out the dwarves' clothing, because otherwise it caught on fire and burned them before they could get inside (clothing burns faster than dwarves do despite needing a higher temperature to do so, because dwarves have a homeothermal buffer that resists change for awhile, unlike inanimate objects). Seas boil instantly, all forests burst into flames on the first tick forcing you to embark in badlands to not die in a forest fire immediately. All embark goods and the wagon burn/melt before being carried inside.

Not super fun or anything, but the point being: even in that world, one of the miners got a single tile underground, and then immediately was fine / stopped being injured (although he had already lost all the fat in his head, it didn't seem to matter much / maybe he went on to a successful professional modeling career).
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.