Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 4: Game over! Scum victory!  (Read 35825 times)

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 4: Day 3 - Supernova
« Reply #195 on: May 06, 2014, 10:01:57 pm »

First and foremost, as this is starting to bug me quite a bit, I AM A FEMALE!!! Please stop referring to me as "he" or other such things. This is incredibly confusing for me when I read what you all are saying about me.

Secondly, I'm trying to be here. I'm not "disinterested." Although I am embarrassed because I've barely been here and have been that jackass who barely says anything. Something I hope to change. I thought I could handle this game, but was very wrong. Classes and personal matters have kept me away from the forums, limiting me to very short posts.

MyOwnWorstEnemy - Neutral read, I'm a bit confused as to why he would want a no lynch after the cop role claimed.
Because it's MYLO and I'd rather last one more day to better know who the scum are. If you want me to vote, Andrew, I will. Lynch is the town's only weapon. You took that away to save yourself. Only scum would be selfish like that. All that you're claiming just doesn't see right.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2014, 10:24:47 pm »

First and foremost, as this is starting to bug me quite a bit, I AM A FEMALE!!! Please stop referring to me as "he" or other such things. This is incredibly confusing for me when I read what you all are saying about me.
Told you guys so. :V
Silly humans forgetting their pronouns.
Again.
And again.

flabort
Tiruin
Do you mean I was guilty of brevity, or other people? You mention it in your paragraph about me, but the sentence doesn't specifically point to any one person.
Once again your sentence structure escapes me, but does not fail to parse this time. I'm not understanding what you mean by "it jives even now", but I get the gist of it. I'm getting the feeling this is just a personal thing that will always continue to hamper future conversations between us, but I'm getting better at it.

It's more of a generality poking at your word-style than anything else. I'm comparing characteristics of attributes seen displayed in-game, and how they match up with common perception or behavior.

Cops: Query. How do you judge someone to be a target of your inspection?

MOWE
MyOwnWorstEnemy - Neutral read, I'm a bit confused as to why he would want a no lynch after the cop role claimed.
Because it's MYLO and I'd rather last one more day to better know who the scum are. If you want me to vote, Andrew, I will. Lynch is the town's only weapon. You took that away to save yourself. Only scum would be selfish like that. All that you're claiming just doesn't see right.
Just doesn't see right compared to. . .?
Tiny query: He wasted the vote to save himself. All for an inspection in the night. Now if he was lynched, we'd be at LYLO for now.
Query again: What does everyone think of a no lynch?

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2014, 10:55:09 pm »

MOWE
Just doesn't see right compared to. . .?
Tiny query: He wasted the vote to save himself. All for an inspection in the night. Now if he was lynched, we'd be at LYLO for now.
"Doesn't seem right" for me isn't a comparison. It's basically just me saying that something fishy is going on.

When I said that he "wasted the vote to save himself" I'm saying that he chose to save himself and potentially face getting lynched and causing us to lose. I'm saying that if he had not gone this path, we would have known his claims would be true and had "known" town and/or scum to deal with. If he had indeed been lynched, would be at LYLO, but with the "known" town/scum would help us find the scum.

I am still all for a No Lynch. No one else seems to think it's a good and I'm almost, maybe, sorta getting attacked for wanting one.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2014, 11:49:34 pm »

I AM A FEMALE!!!
Ooops. *secondthird user I've made that mistake with*

Secondly, I'm trying to be here. I'm not "disinterested." Although I am embarrassed because I've barely been here and have been that jackass who barely says anything. Something I hope to change. I thought I could handle this game, but was very wrong. Classes and personal matters have kept me away from the forums, limiting me to very short posts.
Thank you for taking the time to join us now, even if you were restricted before. We should be able to get a read on you now.

flabort
Tiruin
-snip-

It's more of a generality poking at your word-style than anything else. I'm comparing characteristics of attributes seen displayed in-game, and how they match up with common perception or behavior.

Cops: Query. How do you judge someone to be a target of your inspection?
OK. I'm trying to get a better feel of how to convey thoughts and proof, and if my word-style (described by an English teacher as "having lots of voice but lacking in attention") comes off as brief, then it's probably the large quantities of commas. I'm completely, totally, 100% addicted to the comma key, and connecting various thoughts through it. And that I don't like to repeat myself.

As to your query, I don't understand the question. Are you asking about our thought processes in picking inspect targets? Or are you asking how we interpret results? Try asking the question again Like I'm Five.

My thought process on picking who to target is generally "who sits forefront on my mind, whom town may have missed?". It usually doesn't work this well, but it's not usually supported by this much discussion or this little roleplay. There's lots of little rules and variances, most of which I don't even consciously know, but that's the basics of my thought process. Look where others haven't looked so hard, but not where I'd be barking up the wrong tree. Andrew wasn't a major target, even considering the tied vote, that night. Town was cheesed that he tied the vote, but didn't react too badly until he claimed cop and I revealed my hand.

Interpreting my results is pretty simple. If I learn from my investigation that they're scum, they're scum. If I learn they're town, they're town. If they die or I get no result, it's unfortunate but there's nothing I can do about that.

I think that while it buys town time to think, and it gets time for the (real) cop to investigate again, we have as much of the first as we need if we just shift a vote or two every 12 hours, and the second would be easily negated by the scum. Scum actually gain just as much advantage from a no lynch. They get their night kill, and would probably avoid killing anyone who could serve as a decoy, or get the cop. If they did the former, we'd be where we were before the no lynch, only one active scum hunter shorter; unless the cop got really lucky. If they did the latter, town would get the scum cop, but then we'd be in the same situation, but now without the cop's extra investigate.

In short, if we do a No Lynch, I am of the opinion that scum would be willing to dispose of half their team to negate any advantage we get out of a no-lynch.

I am still all for a No Lynch. No one else seems to think it's a good and I'm almost, maybe, sorta getting attacked for wanting one.
I don't see you getting attacked for wanting one. However, I don't think it's the best scenario.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2014, 12:26:37 am »

All a no lynch will do is have Tack die during the night. They won't kill me because I've confirmed Tack to be town, and if I die then the town will have double confirmation. So all that will happen is that we'll be stuck in the same situation as today and we'll be down a town. Flabort wants the day to end today because he's knows he's going to win after he gets you guys to lynch me.

In the end though it's really all about who you guys trust more. I don't know how to convince you guys that I'm the cop. So I'll just repeat myself in the hope that you'll see that I'm genuine. I am the cop. The way I had been acting was so that I wouldn't get night killed. The worst part is that in retrospect I've played right into the scum's hands.

That being said, if the mod would let me I would gladly have my character jump out the airlock and prove that I was the cop so that you guys can lynch flabort today.

May the mass times acceleration be with you

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2014, 01:04:23 am »

That's an unjust and unfair accusation. Have I said I want the day to end yet?
Yes, I said that No Vote favors scum. However, I said that town gains the advantage of time to discuss the situation if we keep the lynch from happening.

I can see how under most situations, trying to avoid being night killed would help. However, the way to do that is not by pretending to be scum, and the only guarantee is if you're scum, or have a doctor supporting you. If you were genuinely a cop seeking to avoid being night killed, you would have done your best to determine if there is a doctor and get them to protect you. This all started when you tied the vote in desperation, and then fabricated this alibi in a panic. The only evidence we have towards you telling the truth is your word. And when you act scummy, your word is worth basically nothing. We don't have Doctor Cal Lightman to confirm anything anyone says. But the word of many is more easily believed than the word of one, and the many do not trust your words after your actions. Actions, which speak far, far louder than words.

And if I were the scum and did go after Tack, wouldn't that have the same result as going after you (double confirmation), but enable you? It's just another one of your last ditch efforts to avoid death at all costs. If you were the scum during no lynch, you WOULD kill Tack, if he isn't your scum buddy, just to make yourself look better. But regardless, we agree, all a no lynch would achieve is someone gets dead and town loses for it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2014, 08:02:09 am »

I think flabort may actually be the scum, to be honest.
From a gameplay perspective, the scum should be pulling out all stops to try and get the wrong cop killed- (why not, It's MYLO).
However nobody has defended Andrew.

There's always the possibility that the scumteam have given him up for lost and dropped him, but I have a hunch that this isn't the case here. I know Mafia isn't played from hunches, but the logic checks out. Scum may actually have attempted to bandwagon him already.

unvote
Seeing as a no-lynch is better for town than a mis-lynch, I'm going to vote flabort.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:16:38 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2014, 10:00:20 am »

unvote
Seeing as a no-lynch is better for town than a mis-lynch, I'm going to vote flabort.
Hmm... why him? What has flabort done that seems worse than what Andrew has done? Not claimed you were town? I have a sneaking suspicion that you and Andrew are scum buddies. No proof yet aside from my gut though.

I find myself convinced of the uselessness of a No Lynch in this situation. I stand corrected. I hope we get this one right.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2014, 10:23:31 am »

SHIT EDITS SEE BELOW
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:32:02 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2014, 10:32:19 am »

Sorry- Too late at night.
EBWOP:

What does it matter? If Andrew dies and flips town, my town status will be confirmed anyway.
But at the end of the day, both the Cop and Mafia will know who is town- so I can't be sure about it.

I just find it much too convenient that flabort decided to cop Andrew night 2- And it seems some other people have been beating around the bush with the same suspicions.
As it is, the fake cop decided that it was easiest to pick a dead person as one of their inspects, for whatever reason.
So all we have to go on is the second choices.

1. Andrew picked me in an incredibly subtle move in order to incriminate me through sacrificing himself in order to help hide the last surviving mafia member.
2. Flabort picked Andrew in a brute-force maneuver in order to push towards a mislynch in MYLO.
(3. Andrew picked me (If I was hypothetically mafia) because he thought he'd survive and therefore would be taking the heat off both of us, and somehow didn't forsee that the actual cop would come out of the woodwork)

So yes, I give Andrew some allowance because he claimed me as town. However not due to buddying.
I feel as though incredibly subtle and incredibly dumb are both out of character for Andrew, hence it's easier to believe he's a bad townie.
Thus, I vote Flabort.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2014, 12:30:42 pm »

flabort:
The Soldier
What does your gut say about Tack, Tiruin, and MOWE, the three players not under the microscope who aren't you?

Tack: My gut says scum but it's probably biased; his lack of usefulness has a RL excuse. A scum flip from Andrew in particular would be incredibly enlightening.
Tiruin: As of right now, null. I had been thinking she was town, but after a quick skim it looks like while she has been hunting, she's been off on the sidelines instead of right in the middle, you could say. This might be attributable to being busy, might be scum skating by as I don't recall her ever making a full-time case on anyone.
MOWE: Now that she isn't busy (I'm seeing a theme to this game), she seems like she's earnestly hunting. You can't go off of just one day, however. Largely null.

Basically, RL sucks and it makes people hard to read because they aren't there.

Tack:
Sorry- Too late at night.
EBWOP:

What does it matter? If Andrew dies and flips town, my town status will be confirmed anyway.
But at the end of the day, both the Cop and Mafia will know who is town- so I can't be sure about it.

I just find it much too convenient that flabort decided to cop Andrew night 2- And it seems some other people have been beating around the bush with the same suspicions.
As it is, the fake cop decided that it was easiest to pick a dead person as one of their inspects, for whatever reason.

1. Andrew picked me in an incredibly subtle move in order to incriminate me through sacrificing himself in order to help hide the last surviving mafia member.
2. Flabort picked Andrew in a brute-force maneuver in order to push towards a mislynch in MYLO.
(3. Andrew picked me (If I was hypothetically mafia) because he thought he'd survive and therefore would be taking the heat off both of us, and somehow didn't forsee that the actual cop would come out of the woodwork)

So yes, I give Andrew some allowance because he claimed me as town. However not due to buddying.
I feel as though incredibly subtle and incredibly dumb are both out of character for Andrew, hence it's easier to believe he's a bad townie.
Thus, I vote Flabort.

The problem with these possibilities is that there's no guarantee that there's a cop in the game. There's a 33% chance that there isn't one. If there was no cop, Andrew's fakeclaim (assuming it is one) would have most likely gone much better for him. Under that circumstance, or just the scum rolecop not finding a cop and banking on luck, option 3 looks more likely than you suggest.

The three likely possibilities for today are: lynch Andrew, lynch flabort, or no lynch.
1: Andrew
++ If Scum: We took out one scum. Flabort dies in the night (since he's confirmed cop*) unless a hypothetical Jailkeep guesses the final scum correctly or keeps flabort inside.
-- If Town: We lose unless the hypothetical jailkeep chooses right. If they do, we have a confirmed scum in the morning and we move on to, most likely, 3-player LYLO.
2: flabort
Same as Andrew's scenarios, but with names switched.
3: No lynch
== The real cop dies... unless the scum WIFOM us and leave both claimants alive for 5P LYLO. If hypo-Jailkeep guesses right, we're right back where we started.
*BOTH scum fakeclaiming cop would be absolutely legendary, but I don't think that's what's happening here.

No Lynch is the only option where we can't lose today, BUT it is guaranteed to leave us in a fairly mediocre position. Lynching either of the cop claimaints is riskier, but if successful in some way we are in a much better position. Therefore, I agree that someone should be lynched today.

As for which it should be, lets look at the reasons for both of them:

flabort: Persus did absolutely nothing, what Andrew has done actually fits his meta, just so happens to be the real cop and he inspected the fake cop.

Andrew: Has done scummy things that I've repeated enough, see any of my previous posts D3 or D2. One additional thing: from D1, I got the impression that Andrew is the kind of player that plays things safe rather than taking large risks (see here), something backed up by him trying to inspect people unlikely to be killed. Tying the vote and incriminating himself is certainly a risky move, so he clearly values his life more than a standard townie would. Whether he considers a cop with a town result important enough for the risk to be worth it is the question. Further, here he says that "inactivity or a reluctance to post a lot" is a scumtell; however, N2 he targeted TDS, someone who had managed to become active by end of day, rather than MOWE who, by his logic, was exhibiting a large scumtell, and I don't see a big reason for scum to have killed her.

I'm starting to see the arguments against flabort, but the case on Andrew is more compelling. The discrepancies in his logic in regard to his choice in target are pretty glaring, and it's interesting that he never pressured or went after inactive players after saying that inactivity is the most important scumtell to look out for. Keeping it on Andrew.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2014, 02:11:28 pm »

However nobody has defended Andrew.
*flails arms around in waving gestures*
unvote
. . .
. . .
. . .?
You know, the most funny thing I've seen is that both claimants who I'm querying are both...against the no-lynch idea >.>
I mean, seriously.
Andrew says Tack is best target for NK.
flabort counters.
None agree (well, at least flabort counters Andrew's idea anyway--seems busy to provide full read, but seems more aware of situation[?] if by which I mean flabort: Why didn't you poke on the idea that either of you would kill the other if scum? :v)

...Andrew: Why aren't you saying that, if you're scum, you'd hit flabort. And if he was scum, he'd hit you? Why all the talk about Tack?

Tack: Do you sincerely believe Andrew? Do you sincerely believe flabort? What are you basing your vote on?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2014, 02:16:02 pm »

..What...does it matter?
If we lynch wrong the game goes into LYLO. AT NIGHT. We don't have a Jailkeeper claiming.

*adds up maths*
Too...convenient?
So he inspected Andrew due to his vote-tying and you find it too convenient that he did such?
Explain with details.

Also the 'fake' cop...well, both sides already have a dead person in their inspects so I wonder who you're talking about.

1. My memory is a fish. Where was that again?
2. Brute-force? He explicitly said he inspected HIS FACE AND FOUND IT SCUMMY. Please detail how this is brute-forcing things as I fail to see how this...what does that mean anyway?
3. There was significant heat on you before? When? Couldn't this be swayed by force-of-words?

Thus, I vote Flabort.
. . .Because he claimed you as town = Allowance of doubt.
...Then the Orange part.
Errh. Could I really ask you to detail your thoughts on this? Because the logic is quite muddled with the terms you used and all.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2014, 02:25:43 pm »

...Andrew: Why aren't you saying that, if you're scum, you'd hit flabort. And if he was scum, he'd hit you? Why all the talk about Tack?

Because if he kills me during the night I'd flip as cop thus ensuring he'd get lynched the next day. By killing Tack he would remove a known town from our team while still  being able to cast doubt on who the cop really is.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2014, 02:38:54 pm »

It's MYLO today, bro.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18