Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 4: Game over! Scum victory!  (Read 35828 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 4: Day 3 - Supernova
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2014, 08:38:08 pm »

Hah. So in a 1v1 between Andrew and flabort, one of them has decided to throw me in the boat with him.
Well, isn't it unfortunate that both the real cop, and the mafia, know who the town are.

Screw it, I'm inclined to disbelieve Andrew, the cop claim from him seems more like an act of desperation. Andrew
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2014, 01:13:26 pm »

Tiruin; . . unvote. That mechanic reminds me a lot of the KotM thing.

PFP, Extend(?) Exams are done but I'm x__x

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:55 pm »

Votecount:
*MyOwnWorstEnemy - (0)
*Tiruin - (0)
*flabort - Andrew425 (1)
*Andrew425 - flabort, Tack (2)
*The Soldier - (0)
*Tack - (0)
No Lynch - The Soldier, MyOwnWorstEnemy (2)
Not Voting: Tiruin

As it is MYLO, Day 3 will end after 24 non-weekend hours without any change in votes between votecounts, or after >50% of the remaining players (4 players) vote for the day to end.

Tiruin; . . unvote. That mechanic reminds me a lot of the KotM thing.

PFP, Extend(?) Exams are done but I'm x__x
Tiruin: Your vote/unvote is unnecessary (there have been plenty of votes in the 24 non-weekend hour period), and extension of the day is through vote changes between votecounts.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »

I've played cop a few times when I play mafia. Usually what ends up happening is I get very paranoid about being night killed before I get a few revelations of who is who. That is why I always try to be a little bit scummy, so that the mafia will think that i'm a valid day target. I have succeeded in that, though for the first time you guys don't actually believe me when I've claimed. I'm not quite sure how to make you believe me. The only thing I can think of right now is that throughout day two I had attempted to protect Tack from criticism. His play up to this point has been scummy and justifiably lynchable. Without trying to seem to overt I attempted to make his absence and odd voting habit less of a scum play and more the truth. (That he was busy). I had claimed late in the day because I had wanted to see if the scum would make any overt moves like role claiming. I waited about a day and then decided that I had to do so to explain my act of tying the vote the night before.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2014, 09:24:16 pm »

PFP because mood is currently eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee >_<
Will post when coherent.
Also argh.

flabort; Andrew
Let me detail this situation right now: Either either one of you is scum and is fakeclaiming (99.99%) or both of you are town (0.000001%) to use statistics. To use logic: One of you is scum and is fakeclaiming.
Now, today is focused on you two due to the weight of both claim and counter claim and the obvious bias of inspections-to-player-belief ratio :V
First of all: DETAIL YOUR REASONS WHY YOU PICKED YOUR TARGETS.
BOTH of you did not do so. (well, ok, I read back after typing this and saw yours, Andrew...so let me correct it to "Random pick? Why of all things, is it a random pick?"

Next, since you're the most recent one to reply, @Andrew
[...]
And yet you didn't inspect me?

I didn't inspect you because I thought you were town and were probably going to get night killed. I voted you so I could have another day at investigating. My hope was that at the very least I would be able to form a block of three confirmed town, and if I was lucky stumble upon scum. As it stands we only have two confirmed town. Luckily we have a scum who has decided to reveal himself.
[/quote]
...Probably going to get night killed?
Why did you think I was town, again? Also, what is your perception to tying the vote as compared to a scum-lifesave-last-minute move?

PPE: Paranoid? o_O While I do understand the idea...huh. Interesting.
...That is all interesting, that post.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 05, 2014, 09:52:56 pm »

OK, I accept that you've played cop before. I don't accept that you're playing cop now. Why would you want to try to look scummy if you're cop? All it accomplishes is making yourself look, well, scummy. I think you're just trying to explain away other scummy actions with an excuse.

Trying to protect another player is similar to trying to prove they're scum. If you tunnel vision in on them, players are less likely to believe you, as I learned in my previous game. Furthermore, there are two tactics known as buddying and distancing, of which you are most likely aware. What you are doing is the former.

I will not dispute the fact that waiting for scum to make a move before claiming is a good idea. After all, that is what I did; I don't believe that that is your actual reason for waiting, though. I believe the reason you waited before claiming (which in your mind was the only excuse you could use) is because you were discussing with your scum buddy the best way to claim it, and a strategy to bus you if it went wrong.

If Tack is your scum buddy, then this:
Hah. So in a 1v1 between Andrew and flabort, one of them has decided to throw me in the boat with him.
is a bus.

If he isn't, then this:
I, personally, am very sure that Andrew is a mafia member. I'd be perfectly willing to vote for him today, but if we would rather no-lynch then I'll stick with that.
may be a bus, but I'm not inclined to believe it is, considering he's the heaviest town lean in the game. And he's voting no lynch, so it's not really a bus.
Andrew: I'm not sure I buy your excuse for tying up the vote.
may be a bus, but again it doesn't seem like he is acting scummy elsewhere. Granted, heavy inactivity, but very little otherwise. And again, a no lynch vote, so not a bus.
<no quote>
Tiruin doesn't have enough content in any recent posts due to "PFP" to be pulling off an invested bus right now. Currently not voting.

Regardless, I conclude that your excuses are flimsy, and whoever the other scum is, you are being thrown to the wind with the hope that "No lynch" ties vote for you.

Prepost Edit: Tiruin
My first target was 4maskwolf. I cannot vouch for the reasons this was my target, as I was Perseus13 at the time, not me. I assume a random target.
My second target was Andrew425. I had rescinded my vote to him that day, and wanted to confirm that the reasons he had supplied for my question were indeed "IRL" and not because he WAS scum.
I investigated Andrew because I wanted to be sure that unvoting him was the right thing. As it turns out, it was not.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 05, 2014, 09:57:56 pm »

So...why random target again?

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2014, 01:41:28 am »

Unless a vote is changed, the day will end in about 12 hours.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2014, 02:29:27 am »

Tiruin; Unvote

PFP (in which not yet coherent)

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2014, 02:47:02 am »

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be anything we can read into with the current votes. The cop claimers countervoting is as per the norm, and the nolynch votes are normal for MYLO. Tack's vote on Andrew is potentially interesting, but we can't get much from it because of WIFOM.

...as it is, I'm going to throw my Andrew vote into the ring. There are several things he has said that just aren't things a townie would say.
Some examples include:
My exclusion of MOWE is due to the fact that he hasn't posted in a while and scum are usually more interested in mafia games then town are. This leaves us with a 66% chance of hitting scum randomly though I don't think we should do that. Throwing out a no lynch will just end up with me getting killed tonight.

@bolded: this strikes me as extremely bizarre. If scum are more active than town, then why do we encourage town to be active? He also never responded to this unless I'm mistaken.

I've played cop a few times when I play mafia. Usually what ends up happening is I get very paranoid about being night killed before I get a few revelations of who is who. That is why I always try to be a little bit scummy, so that the mafia will think that i'm a valid day target. I have succeeded in that, though for the first time you guys don't actually believe me when I've claimed. I'm not quite sure how to make you believe me. The only thing I can think of right now is that throughout day two I had attempted to protect Tack from criticism. His play up to this point has been scummy and justifiably lynchable. Without trying to seem to overt I attempted to make his absence and odd voting habit less of a scum play and more the truth. (That he was busy). I had claimed late in the day because I had wanted to see if the scum would make any overt moves like role claiming. I waited about a day and then decided that I had to do so to explain my act of tying the vote the night before.

@Tack part: Alternatively, he's your scumbuddy and you were trying to protect him for an altogether different reason. This doesn't really work as a way to show your towniness.

On top of the evidence posted by myself and others, I have one last thing telling me that it's Andrew, and that's my gut. In my first game ever here, I pressured someone over sitting on their laurels and they started spewing scumtells. They've cracked hard, and what happened? They did some token scumhunting, and I backed off. In the end, they were in fact scum, and town lost the game. If you really are town, Andrew, I'm sorry, but this time I know that you can never be 100% sure on someone.

Need to be up in ~5 hours, going to bed

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2014, 02:51:36 am »

I'm under the same idea as you, Soldier, however my viewpoint may be biased (or daresay, tainted?) by my knowledge of how Andrew plays. Aye, he states things in a manner that 'could also be used to pull out reaction tells from the audience and/or scum', and the funny thing is it jives even now if and unless he's actually being sincere, which seems contradictory to what he's talking about now (I mean check before on his playstyle; how he acts D1 in principle is how he's acting here, now. Meaning: Wording)

flabort, however? I don't have that same metaknowledge viewpoint from him, but his case? Seemingly the more solid of the two. While scum could go off and use Andrew's slip as a huge bonus to their ride, given the nature of how yesterday happened (and oh gods the brevity)...something's not right, yet I'm unsure on if its Andrew or if its flabort :v
I'm leaning on flabort being the one to trust but...
Bluh.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2014, 04:55:46 am »

I feel like if Flabort and The Soldier were scum, they wouldn't be buddying eachother this much.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2014, 05:11:41 am »

Flabort
OK, I accept that you've played cop before. I don't accept that you're playing cop now. Why would you want to try to look scummy if you're cop? All it accomplishes is making yourself look, well, scummy. I think you're just trying to explain away other scummy actions with an excuse.

Trying to protect another player is similar to trying to prove they're scum. If you tunnel vision in on them, players are less likely to believe you, as I learned in my previous game. Furthermore, there are two tactics known as buddying and distancing, of which you are most likely aware. What you are doing is the former.

I will not dispute the fact that waiting for scum to make a move before claiming is a good idea. After all, that is what I did; I don't believe that that is your actual reason for waiting, though. I believe the reason you waited before claiming (which in your mind was the only excuse you could use) is because you were discussing with your scum buddy the best way to claim it, and a strategy to bus you if it went wrong.

Why are you even bothering debating me? I know you're scum. You know you're scum. Why are you trying to convince me that I'm not the cop?

The Soldier
@bolded: this strikes me as extremely bizarre. If scum are more active than town, then why do we encourage town to be active? He also never responded to this unless I'm mistaken.

I'm not saying that scum is more active then town. I'm saying that scum is generally more interested in the game then town. I think MOWE was at the stage where it seemed he was wasn't even paying attention to the game. Which is more of a town tell then a scum tell.

The Soldier
On top of the evidence posted by myself and others, I have one last thing telling me that it's Andrew, and that's my gut. In my first game ever here, I pressured someone over sitting on their laurels and they started spewing scumtells. They've cracked hard, and what happened? They did some token scumhunting, and I backed off. In the end, they were in fact scum, and town lost the game. If you really are town, Andrew, I'm sorry, but this time I know that you can never be 100% sure on someone

I'm not spewing scumtells, I'm genuinely baffled at what's happened. I know that flabort and his scumbuddy are laughing on their scum chat over what's going on and I have no idea how to convince you guys otherwise. I can try to explain my reasoning again but I don't know if it'll do any good.

PFP because mood is currently eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee >_<
Will post when coherent.
Also argh.

flabort; Andrew
Let me detail this situation right now: Either either one of you is scum and is fakeclaiming (99.99%) or both of you are town (0.000001%) to use statistics. To use logic: One of you is scum and is fakeclaiming.
Now, today is focused on you two due to the weight of both claim and counter claim and the obvious bias of inspections-to-player-belief ratio :V
First of all: DETAIL YOUR REASONS WHY YOU PICKED YOUR TARGETS.
BOTH of you did not do so. (well, ok, I read back after typing this and saw yours, Andrew...so let me correct it to "Random pick? Why of all things, is it a random pick?"

Next, since you're the most recent one to reply, @Andrew
[...]
And yet you didn't inspect me?

I didn't inspect you because I thought you were town and were probably going to get night killed. I voted you so I could have another day at investigating. My hope was that at the very least I would be able to form a block of three confirmed town, and if I was lucky stumble upon scum. As it stands we only have two confirmed town. Luckily we have a scum who has decided to reveal himself.
...Probably going to get night killed?
Why did you think I was town, again? Also, what is your perception to tying the vote as compared to a scum-lifesave-last-minute move?

PPE: Paranoid? o_O While I do understand the idea...huh. Interesting.
...That is all interesting, that post.
[/quote]

I'll go over my reasoning again. The first night I choose Tack because his name was the closest to yours when I read over the end of the day sheet. I wasn't paying attention the game and I was going to investigate you because I know you're good at this and I wanted to know for sure. Just before I sent in my night action I read the last page of the discussion in which pisskop said that he thought you were town. Since he just flipped town I decided that I'll trust you for the first night and picked Tack mostly because he was voting for you, which was right by your name.

The second night I investigated TheDarkStar because I thought he or theSoldier were scum. I thought the theDarkStar had acted a bit scummier in the day and that in the chance that he wasn't scum he was unlikely to be killed as he had already drawn a bunch of attention to himself.

As for tying the game at the last second. I reasoned that it was better to have the cop alive with some confirmed town then to just die.  If I had died, we wouldn't know that Tack is confirmed town. He would have likely been killed today and we would have lost.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2014, 01:51:14 pm »

Votecount:
*MyOwnWorstEnemy - (0)
*Tiruin - (0)
*flabort - Andrew425 (1)
*Andrew425 - flabort, Tack, The Soldier (3)
*The Soldier - (0)
*Tack - (0)
No Lynch - MyOwnWorstEnemy (1)
Not Voting: Tiruin

As it is MYLO, Day 3 will end after 24 non-weekend hours without any change in votes between votecounts, or after >50% of the remaining players (4 players) vote for the day to end.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2014, 04:32:03 pm »

Andrew425
Why are you even bothering debating me? I know you're scum. You know you're scum. Why are you trying to convince me that I'm not the cop?
I am not trying to convince YOU of anything. You know you're scum acting cop, I know it. I'm "trying" to prove it to everyone else, and have more proof and credibility then you do. The way I see it, the day will end either with one of us two claimed cops being lynched, or with a no lynch. There are 4 other players, and two of them have their votes on you, don't believe your poor reasoning.

I'm not saying that scum is more active then town. I'm saying that scum is generally more interested in the game then town. I think MOWE was at the stage where it seemed he was wasn't even paying attention to the game. Which is more of a town tell then a scum tell.
I think that if they want to win, town has a very good reason to be more invested in a game than scum does. The game is (as I recall) balanced slightly towards scum, with their night kills and confirmed knowledge of all town; only power roles such as cop balance it town wise. Without the aid of power roles, which were only confirmed today whether there are any, the only way for town to win is if their players are more interested in the game and showing more activity than scum.

I am not disputing your claim that MOWE was so disinterested that it's unlikely for him to be scum; if he was scum, at this level of activity he'd probably miss some nights and scum would not have killed every night, or else his buddy would be performing the bulk of the operations. I think it is as unlikely for MOWE to be scum as you do, but for different reasons: Rather than massive inactivity being a towntell, it's that if he were this inactive as scum it would be obvious.

I'll go over my reasoning again. The first night I choose Tack because his name was the closest to yours when I read over the end of the day sheet. I wasn't paying attention the game and I was going to investigate you because I know you're good at this and I wanted to know for sure. Just before I sent in my night action I read the last page of the discussion in which pisskop said that he thought you were town. Since he just flipped town I decided that I'll trust you for the first night and picked Tack mostly because he was voting for you, which was right by your name.
So, you claim you were going to investigate an experienced player, but when the decision came, you switched to a semi random target because someone WHO ISN'T COP, ON DAY 1, claimed them to be town? Granted, a night 1 random target is usually the only way to go, and I don't know the reasoning behind my one night one target because of the replacement, so it may as well be a random vote too.

But the part that pings in this post is "I wasn't paying attention the game". Missing the word "to" beside, it's an admittance to not keeping track of who is town and who is scum. Only scum don't need to keep track of who is town and who is scum. It seems to me like you're now laying newly fabricated excuses (The name-similarity, rereading pisskop's discussion and basing your "decision" off that) on top of your old excuses to excuse the excuses.
The second night I investigated TheDarkStar because I thought he or theSoldier were scum. I thought the theDarkStar had acted a bit scummier in the day and that in the chance that he wasn't scum he was unlikely to be killed as he had already drawn a bunch of attention to himself.

As for tying the game at the last second. I reasoned that it was better to have the cop alive with some confirmed town then to just die.  If I had died, we wouldn't know that Tack is confirmed town. He would have likely been killed today and we would have lost.
You... thought The Soldier might be scum? Everyone, everyone else reads him as town.
The only way I could logic myself into thinking he might be scum is that he's a very visible target who's likely to expose scum, and they haven't killed him yet because he's them. However, there are a plethora of other logic paths that would lead you to think he's town.
TheDarkStar would have been a good investigate target, but as you say, he already drew attention to himself. Would it be better to investigate someone who is acting somewhat scummy by drawing town's eyes, or someone who is trying to hide behind inactivity? I notice that since we claimed that your inactivity makes town unlikely to believe you, you haven't done any PFP posts; trying to hide a scummy activity by not doing it after it's pointed out?

Tiruin
Do you mean I was guilty of brevity, or other people? You mention it in your paragraph about me, but the sentence doesn't specifically point to any one person.
Once again your sentence structure escapes me, but does not fail to parse this time. I'm not understanding what you mean by "it jives even now", but I get the gist of it. I'm getting the feeling this is just a personal thing that will always continue to hamper future conversations between us, but I'm getting better at it.

The Soldier
What does your gut say about Tack, Tiruin, and MOWE, the three players not under the microscope who aren't you?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18