Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cataclysm 2 - Cata Harder  (Read 11356 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm 2 - Cata Harder
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 08:30:30 am »

To me DDA is more Drive Cars+Accidents (D stands for "C+")
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 03:00:50 pm »

Ah, cool. I've been meaning to keep an eye on this.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

raler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 03:54:12 pm »

This will be way better than DDA :-\

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 05:50:25 pm »

I will say I'm a little disappointed that's he's kept Cata's lackluster core interface, but he could always make any kind of changes.  I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt too, I know Whales has said he basically learned how to code by making Cata, and everyone's first project tends to work like balls.  Also very glad to hear him mention Windows support from the start, instead of his old "if you can't be bothered to learn compiling Linux on a virtual box then I can't be bothered to care" attitude.

Personal opinions:
1) Even with the speed Whales is working at, IMO, it's going to be another month or two before he even hits the Cata 1 level of development, and with the speed C:DDA is developing at I'm not sure he will ever be able to "catch up" to it in terms of features (though he will certainly have an edge in some of the bigger ones due to not having to tear through all the old code).

And C:DDA will have working NPCs when?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 07:45:59 pm »

Personal opinions:
1) Even with the speed Whales is working at, IMO, it's going to be another month or two before he even hits the Cata 1 level of development, and with the speed C:DDA is developing at I'm not sure he will ever be able to "catch up" to it in terms of features (though he will certainly have an edge in some of the bigger ones due to not having to tear through all the old code).
SoonTM. If you'll notice from my post I did mention he would have an edge in the larger features, which NPC's are definitely one of. (We are making large strides in the Creatures class, each of which makes NPC's less buggy and closer to functioning well, but there's still a fair bit of old bad code to clear out that he won't have to deal with.) It's mainly just that when you have 50 or so people all actively developing one project and only 1 person really working on the other (and the 50-person project has a several year headstart) it makes it kinda difficult for the 1-person one to "catch up".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 07:58:50 pm »

I'm going to enjoy this.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 11:18:03 pm »

Personal opinions:
SoonTM. If you'll notice from my post I did mention he would have an edge in the larger features, which NPC's are definitely one of. (We are making large strides in the Creatures class, each of which makes NPC's less buggy and closer to functioning well, but there's still a fair bit of old bad code to clear out that he won't have to deal with.) It's mainly just that when you have 50 or so people all actively developing one project and only 1 person really working on the other (and the 50-person project has a several year headstart) it makes it kinda difficult for the 1-person one to "catch up".

Why do you DDA guys keep putting yourselfs at odds with Whales?
So much passive-aggression. Why do you care if he can "catch up" or not, he is working on his thing, you are working on yours. Both have a niche, it's not a race.

If anyone (including Whales himself) says that Cataclysm 2 is going to make Dark Days Ahead obsolete, ignore them. It's like saying that Fallout 3 made Fallout 2 obsolete.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 12:36:24 am »

I'll spoiler this since it's not really what this thread is here for.
Spoiler: DDA/C2 response (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 12:40:32 am »

Jeez, Whales sounds more like LazyCat in those snippets.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 01:45:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: Decided to spoiler that, because you are right; this could devolve into a flame war.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:26:31 am by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:48 am »

Put that in context, if DDA was a mod for Skyrim would Bethesda ever allow you to have a Kickstarter?
Seeing as how you have to buy Skyrim to use it, I don't really think they would mind. I've been wrong before, but it's hard for me to expect corporate entities to go against their financial interests.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 02:28:51 pm »

Also, you guys did make a Kickstarter out of his work. DDA can add all the content it wants, it will still just be a mod for Cataclysm. Put that in context, if DDA was a mod for Skyrim would Bethesda ever allow you to have a Kickstarter? Remember, every time Whales talks bad about DDA. He is talking bad about his work, because it still is his work.

If that was an issue for Whales then he should not have licensed Cataclysm under a copyleft license that explicitly allows the entire project, including the code, to be used commercially.

This is the original Cataclysm's license if you want to read it for yourself: https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm/blob/master/LICENSE http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:38:44 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »

Alright guys calm down, I think we agree that maybe Whales and DDA team might not be on each others best friends list but maybe let's not try and stir up some drama, they are separate games.

The NPC faction gameplay looks interesting in Cata 2, I think I would be tempted just to play as a bystander for a few games and see which faction looks like they are going to win (and then maybe sabotage). Would also be interesting to see if a non-faction victory is possible which I think is a possibility so you the player can take over the world (or burn it all).

The Z-levels also look cool but I wonder how much they will factor into the game, zombies already have a hard time pathing at the moment so will be interesting to see how they react to someone on a Z-level above them, and much more hilariously to a Z-level below where they might decide to go out from the 3rd floor window.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 03:40:22 pm »

Looks neat, I will definitely still play DDA but will see how this goes and progresses.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 06:37:46 pm »

OPINION TIME

-The game looks cool and I like the development of straightforward no-nonsense better than the "Hey guys we should add cars you can duct tape spikes onto oh and let's add fish too oh and how about we add swords with flamethrowers welded on them" approach to DDA.
-I don't, however, know whether or not it'll be better or worse than DDA, simply because I don't know exactly what Cata 2 is like.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3