Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do dwarves ever actually "Clean"?  (Read 2828 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do dwarves ever actually "Clean"?
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:10:55 am »

Despite the fact that the whole fortress has "Cleaning" enabled, I have three- and four- year old bloodstains all over my lovely polished floors after That Distressing Troll Incident.  There seems to be time for parties and lots of "No Job"ing, and nobody is cleaning up the mess.

I realize these little hairballs are not particularly hygienic, but does the "Cleaning" task actually ever get done?  Or is there a way to set its priority higher without modding?  My engravers worked too hard on those masterwork images to leave them all manky with gore.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Cresilia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Do dwarves ever actually "Clean"?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:17:24 am »

I believe the cleaning labour has a hilariously low priority in game, making it unlikely to ever happen. But I may be wrong...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:55:04 am »

I think a dwarf must be close to a cleanable spot while having no job. This lines up the cleaning job. However, i'm pretty sure that this only works on subterranean tiles. Anything "aboveground light" will not be cleaned, ever. Only rain and construction/destruction can remove contaminants there. This means that aboveground or open-to-the-sky buildings often end up extremely yucky, because rain can't wash them and the dwarfs steadfastly refuse to clean them. Underground contaminants can also linger for long times when they're in places with little traffic.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:50:58 am »

I've had the problem of my main corridor being covered in troll blood, due to one troll who just kept running. My dwarves of course, see nothing wrong with this, but my deliberately-coated-in-blood arena needs a 3x3 clean patch right in the middle of it.
I don't think cleaning is that uncommon when you have a lot of idle dwarves, but still needs to have increased priority
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:12:13 pm »

Have you tried pouring water with buckets there? I also have a few patches of blood in my entrance and I'm getting more and more inclined to try it.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 03:29:55 pm »

The only reliable way to clean the floors of your Fort is to boil it with magma or wash it onto the walls with water. Provided there's ample drainage, the chance of submerging your Fort is minimal.

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:09:06 pm »

That's completely untrue.  Cleaning is a very high priority to dwarves.  They are going to get to it after just more drink, just get off their backs, ok?

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 06:12:01 pm »

I've seen them do it a lot actually, sometimes when I don't want them to. THERE IS BLOOD THERE BECAUSE A TITAN JUST BIT OFF URIST'S HEAD OKAY, DON'T GO IN THERE!

But I don't know how to force it. Try disabling every other job on a dwarf and call him "Mister Janitor"
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 06:15:55 pm »

My engravers worked too hard on those masterwork images to leave them all manky with gore.

Any dwarf knows that masterful engarvings look a lot better when covered in the blood of slain enemies.
Also Armok is the God of Blood, you should seek to cover all the surfaces of your fort in blood.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 06:17:03 pm »

They do if it is the tile is considered inside but not outside.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 06:22:04 pm »

My engravers worked too hard on those masterwork images to leave them all manky with gore.

Any dwarf knows that masterful engarvings look a lot better when covered in the blood of slain enemies.
Also Armok is the God of Blood, you should seek to cover all the surfaces of your fort in blood.

I have a question. If I buy the barrels of blood the traders bring, can I release the blood somehow? (Also what the hell is the point of those barrels? Lol)
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 06:39:29 pm »

Many a time I have believed my Fort to be full of drowning children, only to find out that I was panicking over engravings covered in blood. I consider it a part of DF madness that engravings of Dwarves covered in blood look like Dwarven children.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 07:40:15 pm »

My fort has blood slathered anywhere possible.
The outside gate is absolutely drowning in goblin blood. The soldier who stands there is far more than ankle-deep in the stuff.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 03:38:49 am »

My dwarves seem to clean often, but only inside. Despite literally hundreds of goblins dying in my entrance hallway there is little or no blood there. Outside my fort on the other hand, there is a sea of bloody grass streaking off all the way to the edges of the map. I'm not sure if having tons of soap around effects how often or well dwarves clean but I have a ton.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:41:54 am by Melting Sky »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 05:43:50 am »

I have a question. If I buy the barrels of blood the traders bring, can I release the blood somehow? (Also what the hell is the point of those barrels? Lol)

you can empty the barrel by dumping the contents, but not the barrel. this will produce a glob on the floor. not sure if that glob can spread through foot traffic or not though.

there currently is no job task that requires blood. it gets brought in (and produced) because of "extract from creature" code being used on creatures who only have blood, and no other useful extract.  say for instance, you wanted that syndrome inducing forgotten beast's delightful blue blood in a barrel. you can extract from dead creature to get it, theoretically. that particular reaction is really meant for creatures with venom, like snakes and spiders.

other than being delightfully macabre, there is no use for ordinary animal blood brought by merchants.
Pages: [1] 2