Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I wonder.. (retired forts)  (Read 3372 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I wonder.. (retired forts)
« on: April 13, 2014, 07:40:13 pm »

So I wonder. There's lots of thought-threads on what people will do first in the next version. Thnking about the things I want to try myself, and what others have in mind, I wonder how much "damage" the AI will do to our retired forts. Which is to say, how much modification will take place to your beloved fort, by the time you get around to unretiring it.

For example, you get a basic fort going with the intent of expanding it perhaps. But before you do, you retire it, then go play some adventurers with the intent of retiring them there, for when you come back. Maybe set up another fort elsewhere to mess around and add more stories into your world. Eventually you decide it's time to return to your original fort, to expand it, and hang out with your batch of retired adventurers. How bad will my OCD cringe at the changes the AI has made to the place, I wonder?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: I wonder.. (retired forts)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:48:28 am »

The worst it probably would do is add a few more citizen, give some of them earrings to wear,
get some marriages going, etc pp.

Doubt that it will be capable to change/adabpt/expand the layout of your fort construction.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:10:39 am »

My plan is to generate a world then pick the smallest civilization and create maybe 7-10 5 year embarks. I will play them all up into a distinct culture across a region of my game and then explore my generated civilization with some adventurers.

I think you are going to have to accept more and more that your role is simply in influencing, not controlling the world you are playing. Hopefully my embarks will start their own wars and do lots of exciting things... however I am fully prepared for the game doing nothing with them over time.

The real question is will births/deaths/etc happen? If so then I will probably just end up with several forts full of 100s of cats and babies.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:32:48 am »

the "retired fortress effect" could have profound implications if toady allows "resumed worldgen spinning" later.

eg, start on year 1, then create some 10 year old fortresses that become megatropoli. overbuild them so they have bedrooms and farmland for thousands of dwarves, then retire them. make sure they have fabulous military might.

resume the worldspinner and spin a few hundred years, to a thousand years. see how big of an impact a user generated fortress has on world history generation.

with some mods for playable races other than dwarves, this could lead to an interesting new form of succession gameplay.  historical figures arriving as trade liasons and invasion forces would mean that eg, 3 teams could take turns on the same world, each controlling a faction--  say dwarves, humans, and elves.  (with playable race mods). the first cycle builds up the 10 year sites, then the worlgen spinner gets spun a randomly selected period of time, then the next cycle of play has each faction resume for another 10 years, attempting to upset the others's stability.

rinse, repeat, with occasional sorties by adv mode investigative journalists asking the locals what they think about things at the end of each cycle.

it would be long and drawn out, but i could see this being very entertaining.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:56:39 am »

mod the game to play as goblins
create enormous goblin city
create enormous dwarf city

FIGHT!
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:53:59 am »

I wonder if we would be able to buy things from forts. I dont think so.

But since the omniscient hive mind will be gone i think we will be able to the steal masterwork armor and weapons without anyone seeing us.

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 02:00:47 pm »

I wonder if you could make several forts around an area to seal it off. It would be awesome if you could do something like, say, build a ring of forts so that over time, they end up walling off a terrifying thrall-weather area. Then take control of them and have them fight the horrors that emerge from that glacier.

"Night gathers, and now our watch begins..."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:02:46 pm by Visus Draconis »
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:59:01 am »

Simply retiring forts won't let you make continuous walls, unless he also allows building constructions or digging right up to the map border. You might get lucky and have sheer cliffs that happen to intersect with the map borders where you want, and could find a spot to make it work maybe, but not consistently and intentionally without that modification.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:43:17 am »

Im pretty sure you can cast obsidian walls in the map border.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:21:27 pm »

From what I understand from reading the updates, Toady does intend to have the AI change sites which I imagine would include forts although he may choose to exempt them from this behavior. I can imagine some AI nightmares trying to get the computer to add onto a crazy player made fort in ways that aren't completely wacky.

I would definitely love to see the option added to the game to let history generation resume itself after we have been adventuring or building forts. It would be awesome to see how that plays out. Can you imagine what a player built fortress would turn into in a few hundred years? Craziness would ensue. All of a sudden those dozens of weapon lords you created along with domesticated jabberers would have all sorts of fun repercussions on the game world.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:52:48 pm »

The real question is how much world gen will take place, during adventuring/forts.  Will playing fort mode for ten years be equivalent to 10 years of world gen?  Will the same wars, taming of underground beasts etc. happen?

Will this screw with Fps?

Also does anyone know if only goblins will have roaming armies/occupations or will the other races get this feature as well?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:24 pm »

wrt AI construction.

We designate rooms.  So, an area with several rooms designated sleeping is likely a dorm.  A large dinging area is likely a meeting hall/messhall.  Several restraints in a row are a zoo or prison.  All those blocks in that room mark it as a storage room, and all those weapons in crates could be an armoury, a barracks if set to house/train militia.

Point is, based on your designations the game could be able to semi-intuitively add on details, based on shape, density, size, or contents.  I don't know the extent of the ai in terms of recognizing structures and common player designs, but in most cases it wouldn't need to due to sitepop limits all the wars you'll be likely to start.

It could be a decent Segway into tunneling siegers, sound having an effect on invaders, and some Adventure Mode stuffs.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 04:00:16 am »

the "retired fortress effect" could have profound implications if toady allows "resumed worldgen spinning" later.

eg, start on year 1, then create some 10 year old fortresses that become megatropoli. overbuild them so they have bedrooms and farmland for thousands of dwarves, then retire them. make sure they have fabulous military might.

resume the worldspinner and spin a few hundred years, to a thousand years. see how big of an impact a user generated fortress has on world history generation.

with some mods for playable races other than dwarves, this could lead to an interesting new form of succession gameplay.  historical figures arriving as trade liasons and invasion forces would mean that eg, 3 teams could take turns on the same world, each controlling a faction--  say dwarves, humans, and elves.  (with playable race mods). the first cycle builds up the 10 year sites, then the worlgen spinner gets spun a randomly selected period of time, then the next cycle of play has each faction resume for another 10 years, attempting to upset the others's stability.

rinse, repeat, with occasional sorties by adv mode investigative journalists asking the locals what they think about things at the end of each cycle.

it would be long and drawn out, but i could see this being very entertaining.

This sounds like it could be amazing. We would have to come up with a decent set of rules of what is and isn't allowed.... I'd imagine some sort of turn phase... one adventurer and one new/edited fort per turn, but I can seem some massive potential for lots of fun.

In *theory* if Dwarf fortress is eventually perfect you could do things like dam a river upstream and replace it with magma or build forts at key trading links to starve a civ of resources. In the short term though I think it will be quite possible to use an adventurer to incite rebellion in the other factions towns/forts.