Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22

Author Topic: The Centrian Arena - Gladatorial Management Game [Discontinued]  (Read 19465 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: The Centrian Arena - Gladatorial Management Game [Week 1]
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2014, 07:22:40 pm »

Well, as-is, against an equal opponent(oh god please don't let NPCs get personality traits rolled for their gladiators that could help them), you have a 50-50 chance of winning, period. Usually coming down to who missed a swing or who took initiative in the last round. At this point, just luck. Which I'm actually okay with, since eventually it won't be. As much, at least.

NPC's during non-leagues do not get traits. Leage NPC's do. And luck will stop being a factor in about... however long it takes you to earn a second gladiator spot.

EDIT: On another note, I have a question. Is it possible to gain fame if you lose in a spectacularly crowd-pleasing way? And also, how fast is the power-curve do you think? I mean, for how long would 'Blacksmith' as a Lord have made a difference? At this level, of course, it's a huge deal, with how little damage everyone does, but since it's not anything like +10% armor, it's a little weaker.

You usually gain fame so long as the match wasn't a complete bore-fest. You probably won't gain as much fame however. The power-curve is... Somewhat fast at the start but slows down a lot near the end. Just for a fun fact the Squire > Angle tree requires [80] > [475] > [950] > [1600]. Which seems hefty but you'll also be having them in more and tougher fights. But that doesn't change the fact that they'll be leveling somewhat slowly afterwards. The damage/health is something akin to [25/100] [50/150] [75/200] [100/225] so take from that what you will. The Angel does have a Death Ward and a Air ward but... Yeah.

Blacksmith lord will make a difference eternally, just like Merchant will. All the Lord types should be semi balanced. In theory it's possible for certain units to hit armor cap naturally [Armor cap being 95, just FYI] though they usually have lower health.

Though I think you might misunderstand what +10 armor does. It doesn't subtract 10 damage, it subtracts 10% of the damage. It's just easier for me to type 10 than 10% in the armor section.

Armor only negates damage from weapon sources, right?

No, Armor absorbs from all sources, aside from Life. However, no offensive Life abilities exist in this game. To my knowledge. Lemme recheck...

Nope, no offensive life skills. Life is mostly buffs and such...

Did I uh... actually answer your questions... I feel like I may have veered off the track.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:47:14 pm by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2014, 07:28:33 pm »

Placing: Leon - Bottom Row, Front
Style: *bites stogie* C'mon Leon! You gotta get mean! This is your time to shine kid! Get out there and chop his friggin' arms off! Don't hold nuttin back!
Bets: Max possible bet on Leon. Any remaining cash on Big Dick's fighter.

I thought about betting on Leon's opponent and telling Leon to lie down and die or throw his pitchfork or something.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2014, 07:29:23 pm »

You aren't allowed to bet on your own fights, I think.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2014, 07:29:45 pm »

Why not?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2014, 07:31:50 pm »

The fact everyone is betting on my fight makes me want to come out as the top school eventually. HISTORY WITH REMEMBER BIGGUS OF THE GLORIOUS HOUSE DICKUS!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2014, 07:45:08 pm »

You better win man, or expect some serious grief. :p

YOU BRING SHAME TO THE NAME OF DICKUS.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2014, 07:48:23 pm »

Why not?

Because eventually somebody would say "Throw the fight" to get a fuck ton of cash. I'm nipping it before it happens. And let me just warn anybody who plans to say "Oh, bet on my fight, I'm throwing it" I will kick you from the game. It's unsportsmanlike and disgraces the arena.

Is that too much of me being a hardass? Maybe, but I'd like to keep this at least somewhat resembling a competition of sorts.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2014, 07:57:22 pm »

Why not?

Because eventually somebody would say "Throw the fight" to get a fuck ton of cash. I'm nipping it before it happens. And let me just warn anybody who plans to say "Oh, bet on my fight, I'm throwing it" I will kick you from the game. It's unsportsmanlike and disgraces the arena.

Is that too much of me being a hardass? Maybe, but I'd like to keep this at least somewhat resembling a competition of sorts.
That's fine. I can still bet on my own fight as long as I plan on winning it though, right?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2014, 08:00:53 pm »

I may allow it eventually. For now though it is forbidden.

Sorry...

Also, I should point this out now:

Any gladiator who has offered you their services consider it an open offer. That is to say that you guys can purchase a peasant at any time. However, if a Squire offers Gun their service, Kj1225 [who was offered a Wurfaxt] cannot enlist him. So... That's a thing. Good idea? Bad?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2014, 08:04:25 pm »

Wurfaxt?

When was I offered that and what is it?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2014, 08:05:28 pm »

You weren't yet. You might not be. They're a dwarvern axe thrower. Essentially a hardier version of the human archer.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2014, 08:07:05 pm »

The thing is...people did do that. It may be unsportsmanlike, but it should definitely be part of the game.

You just have to balance it with the things that balance it in real life; it is its own kind of gambling, since you're in a shitton of trouble if the gambling houses find out what you're doing, the public will hate you, your gladiators might not want to go through with it, you lose money to the whole thing with them needing to be revived and healed, etc, plus your gladiators won't really get much better and fame won't either, in the meantime, new gladiators probably won't want to offer you their services, etc.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2014, 08:08:44 pm »

You weren't yet. You might not be. They're a dwarvern axe thrower. Essentially a hardier version of the human archer.
That sounds awesome. Especially if the axe is over sized.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2014, 08:09:47 pm »

BUT there’s more! After all of the above takes place the Arena Runners post the matches to allow for gambling as well as the odds. If you gamble on a match [it cannot be one of yours] and win you can get a huge payout! This is where the gambling occurs. Then, after a set amount of time the battles begin.

So the no betting on yourself rule is in the OP, and like six new posts went up while I was typing this.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2014, 08:11:46 pm »

The thing is...people did do that. It may be unsportsmanlike, but it should definitely be part of the game.

You just have to balance it with the things that balance it in real life; it is its own kind of gambling, since you're in a shitton of trouble if the gambling houses find out what you're doing, the public will hate you, your gladiators might not want to go through with it, you lose money to the whole thing with them needing to be revived and healed, etc, plus your gladiators won't really get much better and fame won't either, in the meantime, new gladiators probably won't want to offer you their services, etc.
^^This.

If you can find a way to balance it in game that'd be great. Big fame penalties if you throw fights and whatnot.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22