Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't use worn raw materials?  (Read 403 times)

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't use worn raw materials?
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:29:48 pm »

So Creaturemachine endured another year of frost, and this time the tunnel to the depot starts so close to the map edge, the wagons spawn literally one tile from being underground. Sadly, this did not entirely spare the trade goods. Indeed, all the cloth and food still vanished.

However, this means that they were quick enough to make it in with wooden goods. Sort of. Now I'm the proud owner of a couple dozen XXtower cap logsXX. Once I stopped my dwarves from hauling them all to the refuse pile, my carpenter was happy to queue up some jobs with them. However, when he got to the workshop with a XXlogXX, the job cancelled with an "item lost or destroyed" message.

So question to you guys: are XXlogsXX and similar worn raw materials simply unusable? Can't find anything about that on the wiki.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't use worn raw materials?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 03:38:50 pm »

Yep, unuseable.

XXItemsXX are basically so ruiend they are held together only by good will and luck.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't use worn raw materials?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:48:37 am »

Yep, unuseable.

XXItemsXX are basically so ruiend they are held together only by good will and luck.

Not true, as it turns out!

Now I'm not entirely sure what triggered the "lost or destroyed" job cancellation -- maybe another dwarf stole the log to dump in the trash. However, once I got some mangled XXlogsXX into a stockpile near the carpenter's shop, the dwarves were perfectly happy to make beds and buckets out of them. The resulting furniture items don't even have a lower value than ones made from freshly chopped wood.