Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making your civilians wear armor  (Read 1730 times)

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making your civilians wear armor
« on: April 12, 2014, 01:32:22 pm »

I read the wiki and searched for topics about this. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to make all my civilians wear armor so I put them all in military squads and check the option to be uniformed while inactive. However, whenever the dwarves go civilian they simply undress their armor and will get unhappy thoughts about being naked. I have more than enough armor pieces too.

What am I doing wrong or is it simply a bug?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Making your civilians wear armor
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:38:33 pm »

It should already be uniformed while inactive by default. You might want to double check that you didn't accidentally turn that off.

Otherwise, make sure that you don't draft miners, hunters, or woodcutters, as their jobs have an invisible uniform that can interfere with military uniforms. This invisible uniform is what tells them to pick up their pick, axe, and crossbow.

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 03:37:14 pm »

Thanks, unchecking those jobs helped somewhat. There are still problems with some individual dwarves thou, unwilling to unequip their shoes etc.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »

Did you set their uniforms to replace clothing? It should be an option in each squad's equipment menu.

By default militia will wear their armour over their clothes, which will cause problems if they are wearing something that they can't fit their armour over, such as shoes or caps.

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 05:59:11 pm »

Yes, I have set it to replace clothing. Still there are problems about removing and replacing some underclothing.

The dwarfs won't removing their shoes or shirts mostly preventing wearing breastplates and boots.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:01:10 pm by juxari »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 09:41:56 am »

Breastplates can be worn over shirts, unless you've modded shirts to be "shaped".

"Replace clothing" should cause the removal of their civilian shirts and shoes, in any case.  Make sure your uniform explicitly says "high boots" (or "low boots") and not just "footwear".  If that doesn't work, try giving that squad a station order.  That usually kick-starts an equipment swap.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

juxari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 02:15:33 am »

Thanks for help, I will try it out.