Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152200 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

From what little I've played so far today with my roommate, it seems pretty fun.  :)  Aliens keep eating my dudes though, haha.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One major quitessential "Civ" thing I'm not seeing so far are natural wonders. I did see one fairly unique feature, looked like a large crater (very similar to the Barringer crater in AC) but it appeared to be purely visual and without any bonuses: mousing over the central hex (the mouth of the crater) and surrounding hexes (the rim) just returned "mountain" (ironic, actually), grassland, grassland/hill, etc. The pedia only refers to wonders you can construct so I guess natural wonders don't exist (probably slated for an expansion, greedy bastards). Also missing great people. I guess AC didn't have them either but... yeah.
Odd.  Are natural wonders/landmarks actually a Civ thing?  Other than Civ5 and Alpha Centauri, I don't recall any natural wonders of the sort you describe.  The only ones I can think of were certain scenarios and mods in Civ4, where they were refluffed resources.
Yeah I'm quite certain they're just an AC and Civ 5 thing. But since BE is Civ 5 + AC you might expect it to be included.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Having played a full game, I give SM'sC:BE an 8.5/10. It's almost the alpha centauri successor that we all need. The planets need to be more varied (only 3 non-challenge types?) and the civs themselves all feel very samey. Also, I'd like to see major terraforming, not just remove miasma, plant green things.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Okay, now I'm very sad that it doesn't run on Directx 9, as opposed to just sad.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Having played a full game, I give SM'sC:BE an 8.5/10. It's almost the alpha centauri successor that we all need. The planets need to be more varied (only 3 non-challenge types?) and the civs themselves all feel very samey. Also, I'd like to see major terraforming, not just remove miasma, plant green things.
Is that a legit 8.5/10 or a gaming 8.5/10?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

no score screen
0/10 jesus christ Firaxis how hard is it to include a score screen in 1.0 version jeez
._.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

"Pretty good" or "only molested two of my children?"

no score screen
0/10 jesus christ Firaxis how hard is it to include a score screen in 1.0 version jeez
While I agree in general, to be fair: Who "wins" a game of Civ anyway? :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

If you go into advanced options and have the exoplanet preorder DLC, there are different map types than the normal 3 and the challenge ones, though I haven't tried them yet. And, of course, it's not yet available to those that did not have the foresight to preorder the game 1 day from release.

Also, yes, the 8.5 is also my impression. The game isn't revolutionary or utterly addicting, and indeed its engine is extremely similar to Civ5's engine, but it's a solid game even on release. It has a notable amount of minor problems, but I have seen nothing that stops a game in it's tracks so far.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One major quitessential "Civ" thing I'm not seeing so far are natural wonders. I did see one fairly unique feature, looked like a large crater (very similar to the Barringer crater in AC) but it appeared to be purely visual and without any bonuses: mousing over the central hex (the mouth of the crater) and surrounding hexes (the rim) just returned "mountain" (ironic, actually), grassland, grassland/hill, etc. The pedia only refers to wonders you can construct so I guess natural wonders don't exist (probably slated for an expansion, greedy bastards). Also missing great people. I guess AC didn't have them either but... yeah.
Odd.  Are natural wonders/landmarks actually a Civ thing?  Other than Civ5 and Alpha Centauri, I don't recall any natural wonders of the sort you describe.  The only ones I can think of were certain scenarios and mods in Civ4, where they were refluffed resources.

Maybe you're right, I guess they weren't in Civ4 either but instead only in mods. I didn't play Civ3 much to remember and Civ2 was too old to really count as setting a trend.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty sure the Natural Wonders concept started in Alpha Centauri with the Landmarks (Manifold Nexus, Borehole Cluster, Sunny Mesa, Sargasso Sea and such) which were mostly basic terrain with either pre-built improvements or additional resources to work.
It didn't (as far as I know) re-appear until Civ 5 with the specific natural wonders.
It's a shame Beyond Earth doesn't have it but I suppose made-up wonders  would lack the distinctive nature of the Natural Wonders of our Earth that Civ 5 feature.
Still, I remembered 4 of the Landmarks of AC off the top of my head so made-up doesn't necessarily mean uncharacterstic :)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I only do legit. I work on a full 10 point scale. For instance, Two Worlds gets a 0/10, because that game sucked beyond sucking.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i feel like the wildlife is a bit lacking.. turn 80 and i can mow down just about anything

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i feel like the wildlife is a bit lacking.. turn 80 and i can mow down just about anything

I imagine this kinda thing will get easily worked out in a mod - I wouldn't be surprised if there are tweaking/'realism' mods within a week or two.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I encountered my first AI bug. I was denounced for attacking a station that a civ was trading with, and next turned asked to stop attacking it entirely, but I hadn't attacked a station in over 100 turns (as part of a quest) and I had destroyed that one 3 turns later. I'm actually trading with all the remaining stations so it's not like I'm at war with them... Would also be nice if the diplomacy dialogue actually specified who it is I'm supposed to be attacking, but I guess that should otherwise be obvious.

Maybe some kind of spy shenanigans? But I don't see that you could assign a spy to a station let alone whether any covert actions exist that would reduce the health on a station and assign blame elsewhere...

There is one station being attacked but I'm not sure how since there's no units adjacent to it. There might be a ranged unit in a hex I haven't explored yet but we'll know in a turn or two.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

I've had that bug throughout an entire game.

After destroying a station for a quest, the civ that was trading with it complained to me about fighting it routinely for the rest for the game. It seems that when you destroy a station, the game still registers you at war with that now nonexistent station. I think.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53