Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152155 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tbh I don't really like Sid Meier, especially after seeing his GDC talk and it was Brian Reynolds who made Alpha Centauri, not Sid.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tbh I don't really like Sid Meier, especially after seeing his GDC talk and it was Brian Reynolds who made Alpha Centauri, not Sid.

Sid Meier is basically a brand, used for brand recognition.

Though to admit, I don't like the fact that he slathers his name on everything... nor the fact that everyone constantly add his name when they talk about a game.

You know what I call Sid Meier's civilization? Civilization.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Though to admit, I don't like the fact that he slathers his name on everything... nor the fact that everyone constantly add his name when they talk about a game.
You know what I call Sid Meier's civilization? Civilization.
Morgan Industries Morgansoft departent would like to announce the relase of Morgan's Civilization Beyond Earth, the sequel to Morgan's Alpha Centauri.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What's this about psi gates? Eradicating Miriam's faction was always my first order of business on Planet, usually in response to an unprovoked attack. In every game I played, she never survived long enough for anything like that to be invented.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

So is anyone here worried that this is going to turn out to be little more than a mod for Civ 5?  I'm getting a Civilization 4: Colonization vibe from this.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bouchart:
We're all too busy splering about SMAC to be afraid of anything like that :P

In my games Miriam always zerg rushed someone, occasionally succeeding. She was the only nation I occasionally replaced with an expansion one, mainly the usurper aliens. They were like Miriam with none of her mechanic downsides so it worked out fairly well.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

Miriam doesn't fare well on large maps.

Cha Dawn always seem to die early for some reason.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

What's this about psi gates? Eradicating Miriam's faction was always my first order of business on Planet, usually in response to an unprovoked attack. In every game I played, she never survived long enough for anything like that to be invented.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are the novels worth reading?  Reviews suggest that theyre only good if you're a fan of the game.

I'm a fan of the game, but I don't have much patients for mediocre books when there are so many good ones on my reading list.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

Novels are pretty mediocre, from what I've heard.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

patients?  seriously, me?  FFS.

small grace that this board isn't full of grammar nazis.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What did he say in the talk that was problematic?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What did he say in the talk that was problematic?

Stuff like everyone is winner and make game easier for player to boost their ego, fudge odds so player doesn't lose (like XCOM 2012 increasing odds of hitting after a miss)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bearing in mind that the community we're in is somewhat different from the norm ("Losing is fun!"), people generally don't enjoy losing. They don't like feeling weak or getting trounced repeatedly. They like winning. Winning feels good. They also like feeling like they're making progress in some way. See: skinner boxes.

They may say they like a challenge, but they also don't like when the AI is so challenging that it kicks their ass every time. At the same time, it gets boring if a game gets so easy that you can utterly crush the AI without trying (example: MoO II, if you have played it long enough to notice the AI is quite simple-minded).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:55:01 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not saying he is wrong for the mass market, I'm saying I don't like his design philosophy, he has some other annoying stuff with mathematics as well.

Also not a fan of Pirates! either.

Anyway my point is I wouldn't expect Civ Beyond Earth to be that much like Alpha Centauri, I think they are going to gloss over the story and background which gave Alpha Centauri such depth, I wouldn't expect any interesting Wonder/Secret Project videos or interesting quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 53