Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 640x300 Graphics Set  (Read 7741 times)

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 640x300 Graphics Set
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 09:59:51 pm »

I am a big fan of this tileset and graphics pack, I think it all looks excellent. However, I was also having trouble with the tiny appearance of everything. So I doubled my screen dimensions while holding the resolution constant. The new option to increase the grid size also helped expand my gameplay experience. These are the windowed settings I chose. It takes up most of my screen;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and I was bothered by the fact that I could see cool graphics for slugmen in the graphics pack, but they kept their 's' symbol in game. I went looking for the causes and it looks like the info for Walruses, slugmen, snailmen, and leechmen have a typo at the [CREATURE_GRAPHICS:WALRUS] header in the 'graphics_main' file.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 11:15:29 pm »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>Nice. Next thing you know, someone will make a 9x9 tileset.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>1x1 ftw.
With the alpha channel, it's actually theoretically feasible.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 11:44:35 pm »

What's this alpha channel that everyone is talking about?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 11:57:02 pm »

Alpha channel is transparency.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 12:42:53 am »

Yeah, and Baughn mentioned in passing that he had implemented it for the 40d# versions.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 09:49:02 am »

Well, technically, alpha channels can be used for various other things like "shininess".

As for what's cool about alpha transparency, it allows pixels to be semi-transparent rather than just on-or-off transparent pixels (like GIFs support). This allows for much better blending between a foreground image and whatever is behind it as well as smoother looking edges in general.

Also, a further clarification. PNG images come in two rather different formats, PNG-8 and PNG-24.
PNG-8 doesn't support alpha transparency, only simple on-or-off transparency, and it also only supports up to 256 colors in an indexed palette. It's comparable to GIF on those points, though it usually provides a better compression ratio than GIF.
PNG-24 is the format which supports alpha transparency. It also support up to 16.8 million colors, as needed. However, the file size tends to be a fair bit bigger than PNG-8 (2-3x as large) even if the alpha transparency isn't taken advantage of.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 11:26:10 pm »

waitaminute. the name PNG-24 makes absolutely no sense. That should be PNG-32 if we have four eight-bit channels.

Nice. Next thing you know, someone will make a 9x9 tileset.

I had one up on the wiki for several months before you posted that...

maybe you meant a 9x9 creature graphics tileset?

As for what's cool about alpha transparency, it allows pixels to be semi-transparent rather than just on-or-off transparent pixels (like GIFs support). This allows for much better blending between a foreground image and whatever is behind it as well as smoother looking edges in general.

Which is incredibly helpful. For one, it allows straight resizing of other tilesets and not having them look like crap. This is pretty much required if you want to copy the feel of another, differently sized tileset and not spend hundreds of hours working on it. Unless you have artist skills. Maybe that could help. But I don't.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:29:03 pm by Savok »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 08:56:53 pm »

waitaminute. the name PNG-24 makes absolutely no sense. That should be PNG-32 if we have four eight-bit channels.

It's likely because 24 bit color is what PNG-24 uses, plus another 8 bits for transparency.  Which a picture saved in PNG-24 may or may not have.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 10:28:47 pm »

Yes. I know. But it bothers me.

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 03:55:09 am »

Just noticed this thread today. It hasn't been active for over a year, so it was easy to ignore.
I am a big fan of this tileset and graphics pack, I think it all looks excellent. However, I was also having trouble with the tiny appearance of everything. So I doubled my screen dimensions while holding the resolution constant. The new option to increase the grid size also helped expand my gameplay experience. These are the windowed settings I chose. It takes up most of my screen;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and I was bothered by the fact that I could see cool graphics for slugmen in the graphics pack, but they kept their 's' symbol in game. I went looking for the causes and it looks like the info for Walruses, slugmen, snailmen, and leechmen have a typo at the [CREATURE_GRAPHICS:WALRUS] header in the 'graphics_main' file.
A big thanks on that typo! You mind posting your edited tileset? Looking at Clockworks, I like your stairs much better then what is being used now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:32:07 am by Plac1d »
stopped aerial births

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 07:24:51 pm »

Cool! The artist himself responded. I would more than happy to share my small edits. How should I go about sharing? I've never used the File Depot before, but I'll assume that is where I should start.

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 08:33:43 pm »

Sure. You can even upload the .bmp image here using photobucket or imageshack. 
stopped aerial births

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 08:38:29 pm »

Okay, so I have 2 files uploaded to the DFFD. One is the modified tileset (and a list of changes in the description). The other file is the standard.bmp creatures. I made the Werewolf look different. I don't know if you'll want that one though.

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 11:20:11 pm »

Good work!
stopped aerial births

stoned funeral

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 04:56:53 am »

Hey Plac1d are you still working on that square tileset? I pretty much fell in love with yours when I saw clockworks, but I just can't get over the squashedness. I've tried to turn your character set into 16x16 myself, but it's harder work than I realized :) Seriously, your sets would be the best out there if only they were square, forget mike mayday's.
Pages: 1 [2] 3