Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 640x300 Graphics Set  (Read 7742 times)

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
640x300 Graphics Set
« on: November 17, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »

Created for the default 640x300 resolution and the sprites are 8x12. I was unsatisfied that a Dystopian Rhetoric type of graphics set didn't exist yet for smaller resolutions, so I've built this!

Download from here: DF File Depot

Please report graphical errors and bugs in this thread. I intended to include all the profession and creatures types, so report in if any are missing.  If you find any creature type difficult to identify (No matter how minor the problem), tell me here and I will try to fix. [Example:"My weaver dwarf does not look like a weaver dwarf." or "Your camels look like badgers."]

I included graphics for the ocean creatures in the download. It could be a mistake on my part, but they do not function at this time. I'm going to assume graphics support for ocean animals are not implemented yet unless someone can tell me otherwise.

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Plac1d ]

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Plac1d ]

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Plac1d ]

stopped aerial births

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 640x300 Graphics Set
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 07:29:00 pm »

I don't have a chance to try these out just yet, but I just had to stop in and say these are wonderful.

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 07:30:00 pm »

Sorry, double post...

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: Lord_Daeloth ]

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 01:34:00 am »

Being a user of a 12x12 tileset, I think I'll try editing it to a square format. Thanks!
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 07:25:00 am »

Here's a preview for rest of the creatures.

Also to mention, the dwarves (without caps on) in the picture is actually set to default in my download and the picture in my first post is the alternative. I added the options to change your dwarve's appearance for my tileset, so read the installation_direction.txt before you install the graphics set.

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Plac1d ]

stopped aerial births

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »

!! *Awsome* !!
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »

first and foremost, let me say that this is excellent pixel art (pixel art is prob close to the almost lost way of ascii art, given that everything is done is *lazy* 3D nowadays... lol)

But I just thought of something with regards to utility, no offence to the artist: it seems that this set is only useful in a large screen with low resolution (meaning that the actual size of the tile must be similar to that of a high-res screen using a larger tileset).  This is because the tiles are only recognizable if they are of a large enough size. anything smaller, the default ascii character may actually be more recognizable.

But I do see potential for it when we break free of the 80x25: say I want to run it with a lower cursor res like 60x25 or something (maybe on a portable machine with a smaller physical screen size)

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 08:00:00 am »

Thanks all!

I know the utility value for something this small only serves a small fraction of the DF players who uses graphics sets. At a later date I want to remodel my 8x12 sprites into 12x12. I figured converting 8x12 into 12x12 would be the better situation rather then vise versa. 12x12 should hold the greater utility value you are suggesting?

An official 12x12 tileset release will be a while though. If Sparksol or any others create a quick fix for 12x12, post it here and I'll host the file on my site (with due credit of course).

[ November 19, 2007: Message edited by: Plac1d ]

stopped aerial births

Vanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

These are incredibly cool, but they're a bit too small for me, I find myself squinting at them when I should be issuing orders  :D

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

My attempt was to add a line two pixels wide on both sides of the existing sprite-tiles made, but it looked awful. At best, I could attempt to make entirely new ones, but a 12x12 is somewhat harder than I thought.

I was already impressed by what you were able to do for 8x12, and now I'm doubly amazed.

Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://heiteinah.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

I can't seem to access your site.

You could try http://my.opera.com

Where you can do many things, including, well, blogs for your fortres or anything else.

Also, 300mb of storage and so on.

Just a suggestion.

quot;''Mike Haggar'' Jaritek let out a sinister laughter! ''Mike Haggar'' has began a mysterious construction! [Several slaughtered goblins later] ''Mike Haggar'' has created Murrdusk, a Goblin Blood Pond. The Pond Menaces with skulls of Goblins and is hi

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

I just changed the file hosting site to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot. You can download my graphics set here now. I hope that works better for you.

I haven't updated this in over 4 months, so some creature and profession classes are probably missing now. I'll see if I can bring it up to snuff for v0.27.176.38c this weekend.

stopped aerial births

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:59:22 pm by penguinofhonor »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>Nice. Next thing you know, someone will make a 9x9 tileset.</STRONG>

1x1 ftw.

Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

OK. I updated the graphics set to v0.27.176.38c. Make your eyes bleed now! Fishes still don't work.
stopped aerial births
Pages: [1] 2 3