Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Completely sick of dwarves not training, thin skulls and other bugs  (Read 2543 times)

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Completely sick of dwarves not training, thin skulls and other bugs
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 05:17:01 pm »

So i just had the upteenth fort where dwarves never show any improvement despite constant combat drill and  being armored entirely in steel or iron with quality weapons..it takes years to get to even competent.

As others have said, use smaller squads to encourage sparring.  Or set schedules to train a minimum of 2 dwarves each month.  My latest fort had no trouble getting a semi-decent fighting force together before the first ambushes; I had about thirty soldiers, most of which were well above competent with their weapons of choice.  Getting dwarves to progress from dabbling to competent takes less than a year if you're smart about your scheduling and squad sizes.  And I don't even use danger rooms.

I'm also sick of seeing dwarves get punched in the head by goblins  dying due to the half assed way brains/skulls are depicted. Ditto for instadeath archers and broken fingers/toes causing unconsciousness.

Helms and leather hoods virtually eliminate one-punch deaths, IME.  Shields help to prevent archer-related deaths, although you should look up the Battle of Agincourt if you really think archers are a minor threat in medieval combat.  Though the material penetration issue (copper bolts piercing steel armor) is indeed something that should be fixed.

And I'm especially sick of waiting for a release that apparently wants to implement every single fix and new feature under the sun instead of you know making basic concepts like the military work correctly. Im sure some players would agree it would be great if bugs were squashed in a timely manner. its fantastic that toady has such huge ambitions for the game and i cant wait to see where df goes next, but cmon can't the basics work right?

While I wouldn't go so far as to say the military works correctly, it does function reasonably well and I haven't found it to be anywhere near as insufferable as you apparently do.  At least, not after I realized that you had to go into the Civilian Alerts section and actually set a squad to be active in order to have it start training.  After that, it's been relatively smooth sailing.

Can we please have more smaller bugfix releases instead of a few massive releases over actual years?

Remember that DF is still in alpha; playing any game in such an early development stage is going to yield problems.  I think we're lucky that the game works as well as it does, considering it's not going to be finished for another two decades.

I love df and have for years but I'm sick of the same old bugs going unpatched for literally years, in favour of regaling us with lists of new trees being implemented. i can never get a decent military going at all.

I've only been playing for a year, but as stated previously, getting a decent military up and running hasn't really been an issue for me.  Nor has it been a problem for dozens and dozens of other players on these forums.  If you're the only one struggling with something, then perhaps the problem lies in your particular approach?

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 06:01:53 pm »

I love df and have for years but I'm sick of the same old bugs going unpatched for literally years, in favour of regaling us with lists of new trees being implemented. i can never get a decent military going at all.
I've only been playing for a year, but as stated previously, getting a decent military up and running hasn't really been an issue for me.  Nor has it been a problem for dozens and dozens of other players on these forums.  If you're the only one struggling with something, then perhaps the problem lies in your particular approach?
For me it is more likely that anyone versed in DF knows workarounds already so well they do it automatically. So they do not actually notice bugs anymore. This, of course, does not make them vanish.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 06:06:36 pm »

There are some bugs that absolutely need fixing, and have been around for ages though. Marksdwarves are, for me at least, basically unusable. Right now it seems like no force on Earth can make them actually pick up some goddam bolts. And shooting on the range once a year, if by some miracle they actually equip themselves, does not a competent marksman make.

I found this out recently, and managed to get my marksdwarves to train effectly (even without them on duty). Here's the three stages to the setup I have:

1. Create a room that contains your armour, weapon and bolt stockpiles. Make this a barracks and set it as squad equipment for all your squads.
2. Build archery targets and create a archery range for each of your targets and assign it to your train marksdwarves squaed. Make sure to set the firing direction correctly using wasd.
3. Create a separate normal barracks (i.e. weapon rack or armour stand room) and also assign it to train for your marksdwarves. I'm not sure if this is essential, but my marksdwarves on duty (ordered to train) appeared stuck in place until I did this.

It still takes a lot of bolts to train them so make sure you have a good source of production, but they do now train even in off time when they have no job.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 06:26:16 pm »

I don't even make archery ranges, at all.  I assign a barracks and let my Marksdwarves train there if they feel inclined (they'll do individual weapon drills sometimes), but most of their real training is from firing at live enemies.  This of course means that I have a bunch of green newbies defending my fortress at first, but that's OK.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 06:39:41 pm »

As others have said, use smaller squads to encourage sparring.
I was fairly surprised when I first found out that you can give multiple training orders to one squad, so this is unnecessary. You can just give multiple training orders for 2 Dwarves.

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 07:55:20 pm »

For me it is more likely that anyone versed in DF knows workarounds already so well they do it automatically. So they do not actually notice bugs anymore. This, of course, does not make them vanish.

Oh, there are plenty of bugs; don't get me wrong.  My point was more that there aren't any that cripple the player's ability to create a successful military.  Some make it difficult, sure, but not impossible.

I was fairly surprised when I first found out that you can give multiple training orders to one squad, so this is unnecessary. You can just give multiple training orders for 2 Dwarves.

That's awesome.  I need to start doing that...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 08:06:56 pm »

Its great.  You can tell marksmen to go train in the barracks, stand about the zombie room for livefire training, and station sonewhere (i.e. go get your crap and do nothing).

Ive played with the theory, and with a little timing the patrol route can also serve as a drawn out danger room.  Have the patrol into a one tile wide path with peessure plates.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

onehellofatable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 02:00:54 am »

Holy moley. You just changed my whole uristniverse
WGOIMF: Just lost 12 miners (all but 1) to cave ins within the span of an hour mining out a 20x20 pit

......Nothing could be done, it was the will of Armok!
Pages: 1 [2]