Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: TPP and TTIP  (Read 37374 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: TPP and TTIP
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2015, 01:01:15 pm »

Okay, we'l start with the top at Section A.

Now, a bit of clarification, when I say "country" or "countries" I mean signatories.

Article 1 says that the definition of intellectual property will be the same as that defined in the TRIPS agreement. Well, that's all and good, but what does the TRIPs agreement define it as? Well, the TRIPS agreement Part II starts off that all members abide by the Berne Convention (1971). So... what's the Berne Convention? Well, that under a full explanation would result in this whole thing being a 3-nested legalese hellhole, so I'll just give a quick summary of TRIPS:

I'm against that shit too.

Computer programs, both source and object, are protected as literary works

I oppose this. They should have the shorter lifespan of a patent.

• Computer programs and cinematographic works can also be rented, either as the original or a copy

I oppose this. A "rented" download that expires after some period effectively amounts to a deliberately defective product.

• IP protection lasts 50 years after making if not defined under laws concerning the author's death

This is at least twenty years too long and should be a hard limit unrelated to the author's lifespan

• Performers can prohibit the recording of an unrecorded act and the reproduction of the recording if they do not authorize it; same with its broadcasting

I oppose this.

• Phonograms (audio files) have similar protections

And this

• (though you can patent non-biological processes of them, which is... strange
And definitely oppose this
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »

So what's so bad about stopping people from stealing from actors and musicians?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2015, 01:36:05 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2015, 01:42:01 pm »

You've missed the point entirely if thats what you think its about. Performers have nothing to do with it, they'd reasonably be covered by existing laws.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2015, 01:45:52 pm »

You've missed the point entirely if thats what you think its about. Performers have nothing to do with it, they'd reasonably be covered by existing laws.

The way I read Ispil's post, all the TPP says about recording unrecorded acts by performers is that it's prohibited, as is distributing those records.

I assume I'm missing something here, but I don't see how that particular item is so bad.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2015, 03:45:49 pm »

I oppose this.
I oppose this.
And this.
And definitely oppose this.
Oppose away, see if they care.

As Ispil just explained, all this copyright rubbish is old hat, mostly recycled from previous agreements, and by no means exclusive to the TPP. Personally, I see no reason to get worked-up over this.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2015, 04:01:27 pm »

We need to stop this new agreement before we can start dismantling the old ones
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2015, 10:33:42 pm »

Alright, there seems to be a lot of discussion as to what TPP does and does not do. So far, I haven't actually mentioned anything other than standard boilerplate- all signatories agree to this, this, this, and this agreement, and agree to work together, et cetera. At this point, I haven't mentioned anything that TPP does that doesn't fall within TRIPS or the Berne Convention. Speaking of; Bohandas, since IP expiration is mostly defined in the Berne convention... which was first signed in 1886. It's routinely ratified (most recent being... 1979). Just be warned that with 168 signatories, you're going to have a hell of a time negotiating a change to the thing.

Are China and/or Russia signatories? Because if not I think we should just go all Andrew Jackson on these things.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2015, 06:43:08 am »

The TPP Effect On The Video Game Industry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIJVetzaHs

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2015, 11:39:58 am »

The TPP Effect On The Video Game Industry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIJVetzaHs

I would watch this, but I'm rather certain that if anyone had the gall to make a video that claims that the TPP will do anything to the video game industry at all, it's going to be filled with nonsense hysteria and flagrant lying to fear-monger for the sake of trying to be "right."

What the TPP will do to the video game industry is nothing. Nothing at all. I'll get to section D later today; note that I am doing my best to keep my opinions about the TPP out of my analysis of it that I provide here, which is why you don't see me draw any actual conclusions in the posts. I'm going article-by-article, clarifying what is being said in each paragraph, and not stating any sort of "true intent" or anything else. If it turns out that the TPP does result in some copyright-nonsense like SOPA, odds are you should be able to find the specific article used for such power in one of my posts. If I am being biased in any of these section descriptions, please do call me out; it's hard to stay 100% impartial when you're the only person reading it.

Please watch it, as the only person here that is actually looking in detail, i would like to hear your thought on it. In the video he explicitly says what part of document he is referring to. And if his explanation is correct, than it will have a effect on game industry, or better said on consumers a lot more in a negative way

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2015, 02:32:15 pm »

Just thought I'd mention that whilst I'm not directly affected by the TPP I appreciate your abridged version, Ispil. It's nice to know what it says from a reasonably analytical standpoint, but I don't have time or energy to read it myself right now.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2015, 03:25:06 pm »

This, a thousand times. Finally someone who gets into the details instead of remaining vague and general. You confirm my suspicions that paranoia is a significant, though certainly not the sole, reason for the great opposition to TTIP.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2015, 03:28:04 pm »

This, a thousand times. Finally someone who gets into the details instead of remaining vague and general. You confirm my suspicions that paranoia is a significant, though certainly not the sole, reason for the great opposition to TTIP.
And this a thousand times more.
Thank you for actually slogging through the legalese.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2015, 03:29:26 pm »

I don't care if this thing saves the global economy if it puts even one restriction on my video games. It is evil.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2015, 06:10:28 pm »

I heard that this agreement could make it illegal to root or jailbreak a phone
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15